How did you justify that first shot?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Post by jennageit » 18 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm

Hi guys,

I'm after a little information.

All of you, by now, know that all I've ever shot has been targets. Well, that's not completely correct. When I was 15, there were some out of control tin cans that I took out with a slug gun. Gotta watch those cans.

So, my question is as the title says.

I'm not talking about targets, but animals. Foxes, rabbits, ducks no problem, but deer, dogs, feral cats etc.

How did you do it? Why did you do it? And, how did you feel afterwards?

I'm yet to line a live animal up in my sights, and I'm wondering if I'm going to be prepared to pull the trigger, to actually take a life.

I'm not a greenie, and I understand why ferals are shot. in some cases, I think there should be more of it.

I also think there are some laws that definitely should be "relaxed", but that's a whole different story.

So guys, what do you shoot, and why?

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: How did you justify that first shot?

Post by North East » 18 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

If you have no problems with shooting rabbits it's no different to shooting large game except they're bigger. I don't have to justify myself hunting and shooting deer or wild dogs. I have a legal caliber, Game Licence and hunt in State Forests open for hunting. If you have to think about the morals of it all before taking the shot you shouldn't be out there.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 18 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the response North East.

Like I said, foxes, rabbits etc, no problem for me I think, just not sure I could shoot a deer.

Anyway, foxes are my reason for getting my licence, so I doubt I'll ever aim for anything bigger.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 18 Nov 2014, 2:21 pm

Confidence and conditioning comes from experience.

Your feeling the aim curry associated with never having done something before, no different to SCUBA diving for the first time , or skydiving , or caving or driving a car etc.

This anxiety isn't a bad thing , in fact it's something that means you'll want to do it right.

Of course once you've don't it a couple of times you'll know what to expect. You'll relax a bit, you'll take your shot quicker and let less animals escape because because you were out of position, forgot to chamber a round or got your hold over wrong and missed.

Of course this could have negative effects, you may get bored shooting those foxes and start looking for game to shoot for a feed, a pelt or a trophy :lol:

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

The very first shot...

Lorgar kill fox
or
Fox kill sheep

Can only pick 1.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 18 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

im not that deep a thinker,,i want it dead so i shoot it :twisted:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 18 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

A girls gotta eat.

How much more do you need?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 18 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

LMAO

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with every one of you.

I miss the shooting, but I don't have to wait too much longer (hopefully). On the evening of the 26th, I should be shooting again! but still on paper targets, and still chasing that 200/200 lol

On a side note, I used to have trouble when my dad shot roo's. He explained why, but maybe I had a 'Skippy' complex. He took me out once when I was about 11, and that was the only time. After that, I was strictly a fox and rabbit kid. I wanted to start shooting straight away, my brother, not so much. Guess I was the boy my dad never got in him, but I got all the fun jobs like helping him skin everything he shot.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 18 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

jennageit wrote:Thanks for the response North East.

Like I said, foxes, rabbits etc, no problem for me I think, just not sure I could shoot a deer.

Anyway, foxes are my reason for getting my licence, so I doubt I'll ever aim for anything bigger.

Jenna

I bet if you had not eaten for a few weeks you would shoot a deer no problem. What you need to do is stop listening to the greenie vegetarian dead heads in the World. There is nothing wrong with going hunting and taking some game animals it's the most basic instinct and skill of normal humans . Without it we would be extinct.
Even the Bible sanctions hunting . You will learn no harm from the hills.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

What was my first animal I killed with a rifle??? I think it was a minor bird or it may have been a rosella and how did I feel bloody great like a big man and I was only 8 yrs old ... ;) :D :P Felt sick after though when the brother pimped me into the old man who gave me a flogging with the belt!!!!Still don't like that brother bloody Pimping prick!!!!! :o :shock: :? nowdays I do what needs to be done don't get a great rush of excitement when killing something except Big Boars and Trophy Deer but that's why God made them just for ME!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

I must admit, I'm a bit of a greenie. My first was a rabbit and like most of the animals we shoot they don't belong on this continent. Even better if you get a feed as well. Man is after all a hunter by nature.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 18 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

Started shooting crows from a young age with the air rifle and never felt a single bit of guilt at all. Then a few years later i shot my first skip with the .22 and for a few minutes with the adrenaline and rush of the moment I felt confused as why I had actually shot it. But that quickly cleared up and haven't felt it since. I know most hunters seem to dance around the topic as to not stir the greenies up but when it boils down to It I like to hunt and kill Ferals. It gives me a great amount of satisfaction to know that it's helping stop the damage they do. Saying that the idea of shooting natives like koalas or bilbies makes me feel sick so I can't be a total psycho killer :?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 18 Nov 2014, 6:53 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Started shooting crows from a young age with the air rifle and never felt a single bit of guilt at all. Then a few years later i shot my first skip with the .22 and for a few minutes with the adrenaline and rush of the moment I felt confused as why I had actually shot it. But that quickly cleared up and haven't felt it since. I know most hunters seem to dance around the topic as to not stir the greenies up but when it boils down to It I like to hunt and kill Ferals. It gives me a great amount of satisfaction to know that it's helping stop the damage they do. Saying that the idea of shooting natives like koalas or bilbies makes me feel sick so I can't be a total psycho killer :?

Oh common, billy sausages are delicious and some koala kebabs go great on the barbie :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Nov 2014, 7:16 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YOUR SICK

The only time I eat koalas is when I have a nasty head cold and the Eucalyptus clears the head and soothes the throat!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 18 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YOUR SICK

The only time I eat koalas is when I have a nasty head cold and the Eucalyptus clears the head and soothes the throat!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hear their skin makes fine ugg boots :shock:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 18 Nov 2014, 8:02 pm

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YOUR SICK

Got me thinking now if eucalyptus makes koalas high I wonder if it has carry on effects if we eat them?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 18 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

Jack V wrote:I bet if you had not eaten for a few weeks you would shoot a deer no problem.

Or you know... For 6 or 7 hours :lol:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

I never felt the need to justify shooting animals - I like hunting them and killing them is part of the whole process, to me its like driving a car, it's just another part of my life.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 18 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I never felt the need to justify shooting animals - I like hunting them and killing them is part of the whole process, to me its like driving a car, it's just another part of my life.

Remind me not to piss you off and then :lol: :D :lol: get in a car with you!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2014, 8:46 pm

Westy wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I never felt the need to justify shooting animals - I like hunting them and killing them is part of the whole process, to me its like driving a car, it's just another part of my life.

Remind me not to piss you off and then :lol: :D :lol: get in a car with you!!!!!

You'll be right, I'm a lousy shot! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jennageit » 18 Nov 2014, 9:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys, it's great to hear different perspectives.

You're right, if I hadn't eaten for a while, I'd shoot whatever I could scope in, in order to survive.

I'm in no way a greenie. In saying that, I don't like the mindless destruction of the environment that used to go on years ago, but at the same time, I don't like the destruction that the wild boars and things seem to do. Only seen them on television, so don't know first hand how bad it is.

I'm not saying I'll never shoot anything larger than a fox, but you never know I guess. The world is full of surprises, and if it came down to the animal or me, I choose me!

As for koala's, they may look cute, but they are the most ridiculous animal on the earth as far as I'm concerned. They only eat specific types of leaves, which leads them to have lots of health problems. To deal with the toxins, they sleep 20 hours a day, and they are worse stoners than a lot of the kids getting around these days, and sometimes just as dangerous. Almost hit one that was walking down the middle of the bloody road. I was doing 105kph, it was early morning and this stoner was just wandering along! Not sure how the old Volvo would have handled hitting that, but I wasn't going to swerve into oncoming traffic to save the damn thing.

Out of necessity, or the greater good, I guess I'd shoot something bigger than a fox. I'm not a trophy kinda person, prefer to see the animal in their natural environment, but only if that's truly where they belong.

Take care guys,

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 19 Nov 2014, 7:25 am

i started on squirrels its what most kids started when i was a kid
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jack V » 19 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

jennageit wrote:Thanks for the info guys, it's great to hear different perspectives.

You're right, if I hadn't eaten for a while, I'd shoot whatever I could scope in, in order to survive.

I'm in no way a greenie. In saying that, I don't like the mindless destruction of the environment that used to go on years ago, but at the same time, I don't like the destruction that the wild boars and things seem to do. Only seen them on television, so don't know first hand how bad it is.

I'm not saying I'll never shoot anything larger than a fox, but you never know I guess. The world is full of surprises, and if it came down to the animal or me, I choose me!

As for koala's, they may look cute, but they are the most ridiculous animal on the earth as far as I'm concerned. They only eat specific types of leaves, which leads them to have lots of health problems. To deal with the toxins, they sleep 20 hours a day, and they are worse stoners than a lot of the kids getting around these days, and sometimes just as dangerous. Almost hit one that was walking down the middle of the bloody road. I was doing 105kph, it was early morning and this stoner was just wandering along! Not sure how the old Volvo would have handled hitting that, but I wasn't going to swerve into oncoming traffic to save the damn thing.

Out of necessity, or the greater good, I guess I'd shoot something bigger than a fox. I'm not a trophy kinda person, prefer to see the animal in their natural environment, but only if that's truly where they belong.

Take care guys,

Jenna

I was not saying you were a greenie . Tell you a story about my youth. After we came down from the bush to the city to find work my Dad bought me an air rifle which I put to good use shooting water rats and cashing the tails in for sixpence at the local council . Now one day one of the local Mothers bailed up my Mother and said , "what is wrong with that kid of yours every time I see him he is carrying a slug gun " My Mother said well he is hunting water rats for sixpence each and doing quite well . What is your child doing ,well I will tell you because I saw him yesterday up the shops smoking and being a nuisance to the shop owners probably shop lifting also. My child is engaged in a healthy sport your child is a delinquent . Well all hell broke loose and my Mother belted her right in the mouth . You did not f*ck with my mother she was as strong as most men and could work like a brickies labourer. I met that kid at a reunion about 30 years later and he was a worn out old alcoholic . The moral here is that there is no harm in hunting and it is way better for a kid to do that than ,drink booze or use drugs and get in with the wrong crowd . I'm glad I grew up to the age of 8 in the bush and not the city . I started hunting rabbits with my Dads triangular sword blades as spears at about 6 and we ate the rabbits . My father was a Master swords man back in England but WW2 sent him broke . There is a perverted notion in society now that if a young person goes hunting they will turn out bad . It's utter nonsense put out by the anti gun anti hunting crowd . I went back to the bush in my later days but could not make enough money without my own land so after I got married decided to go back to the city . I hate the city every single day but I'm stuck now.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 19 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

I actually felt a bit bad after I pulled the trigger on the first rabbit I took down.
Then I remembered it is a damn pest.
Then I felt happy, after all the time it took getting my licence and firearms, I was finally doing what I set out to do!
Then shot another one :)

Nearly got my first fox last week, no problem taking those down. They really are a blight on our native wildlife and Pa's chickens! :lol:

I am not currently licensed to hunt deer, although I go out with mates who are hunting deer themselves, I don't know how I would go field dressing a big twitching carcass.
I will probably get over it. Deer hunting is very exciting!
Last edited by FuzzyM on 19 Nov 2014, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 19 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

I only became conflicted after 10 odd years of hunting and vermin control, was raised hunting, killing, trapping, skinning, butchering, so I never had to make a decision it was just the done thing like tying your shoes, wasn't untill helping friend (pro roo culler) in a week culled uncountable Roos and the guilts hit me pretty hard, backed away from hunting for six months or so, but that was 10 years ago, I no longer hunt for the pure satisfaction, simply control pests, take meat, and a rare trophy it it stands out above previous ones. Except for foxes, warms my heart to see one explode on a weekly basis
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 19 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Except for foxes, warms my heart to see one explode on a weekly basis

s**t your funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by North East » 19 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I am not currently licensed to hunt deer, although I go out with mates who are hunting deer themselves, I don't know how I would go field dressing a big twitching carcass.

If it's twitching and still alive just put another bullet into it up close. Be careful about approaching a large 1/2 dead deer. .30 cal at least preferably.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 19 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

I shot rabbits as a kid, tanned the skins, meat was mostly pet food.
Only had a chance for a couple of foxes, nowhere near enough for all the lost poultry.
30 years later, still no other game taken, but I've learnt how to farm butcher sheep & cattle in recent years, and I'd like to go goat/deer hunting at some point.
Talk to an orchard or vineyard owner, deer are as much a pest as goats, pigs etc and cause a lot of damage.

Pest control is one part of the equation, but by utilising the meat I think it proves you aren't a hypocrite (ie. eats meat but thinks animals shouldn't be shot OR likes eating meat but doesn't want to get their hands dirty butchering)

For anything larger than rabbits, you'd want someone to show you the ropes on how to handle the butchering. That should help sort out your feelings, they'll probably be "Delicious and I caught this! "
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 20 Nov 2014, 9:04 am

jennageit wrote:Out of necessity, or the greater good, I guess I'd shoot something bigger than a fox. I'm not a trophy kinda person, prefer to see the animal in their natural environment, but only if that's truly where they belong.

Well good news for you then!

Deer trophies come with a lot of dinner attached :lol:

Can't argue with a need to eat.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by creet » 20 Nov 2014, 9:05 am

VICHunter wrote:Can't argue with a need to eat.

You obviously don't watch much politics :|
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm
creet
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control