Wild dogs worries

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Wild dogs worries

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 5:20 pm

No not Collars but cross breeds with Dingo's, some of the ones weve been shooting and poisoning lately are bloody huge like a Pig Dog ( Bull Arab) cross say around 40-50 kg will dig up some photo's for you headspace and great work on culling the Bastards!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 04 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

Westy. I think that most of the wild dogs we get around here in the Northern Rivers are cross bred with dingo's. I've seen some bloody big ones and a bloke not far from my place told me about what looked like a Ridgeback leading a pack. It actually had a go at a farmer who was on his quad at the time but no rifle. Those two I got were undoubtedly young dogs and the 2nd dog was curious about what happened to his brother I guess. He soon found out! The parent dogs, if that's what they were had a lot more size about 'em, and they didn't hang about. One of the wallabies that hangs around our place had what looked like a torn ear. and that would be an encounter with dogs.
John
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Hey John nice part of the world your in N-rivers my Oldman and grandfather came from that part of the world!!!! ;) :D :P
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 05 Jan 2015, 9:51 am

headspace wrote:Can you imagine the stink (literally) at Aus Post?

I'm for it. It might get them to move their asses and get some work done at a decent pace with that pushing them :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 05 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

You're right there Westy, I love it here. Close to everything I like to do.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

Good work Headspace.

I've been researching the feral dog population locally. Made friends with a guy who used to hunt them for Parks. He said they had little success on an official level but one bloke in a few valleys over bagged 39 in one year. His technique was to put an old rooster in a cage with some food and water and sit off the cage with his rifle down wind. These are all domestic ferals breeding up over the years. No dingos ever in Tas.

Some might not like the idea of putting a live rooster out as bait (even if it is in a cage and quite safe from attack), but this is Tassy after all. Thought it might be worth sharing the info for general feral dog tricks.

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Westy » 13 Jan 2015, 7:05 am

Gwion wrote:His technique was to put an old rooster in a cage with some food and water and sit off the cage with his rifle down wind. These are all domestic ferals breeding up over the years. No dingos ever in Tas.

Some might not like the idea of putting a live rooster out as bait (even if it is in a cage and quite safe from attack), but this is Tassy after all. Thought it might be worth sharing the info for general feral dog tricks.

I like the idea :friends: :drinks: :friends:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Hadoku » 13 Jan 2015, 8:24 am

Stick out a cage for a rabbit, should work just as well? (Not everyone has a Rooster handy :lol:)

2 birds with one stone if the rabbit gets taken anyway ;)
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Jan 2015, 8:34 am

Hadoku, i think the point is that roosters are noisy buggers and dogs are curious about a rooster in the middle of the bush/paddock. Hence using a rooster and not a hen. Contact a local breeder, they always have roosters they don't want but sometimes don't want other to have either, unfortunately. On the plus side you can have a pet rooster as a hunting buddy! LOL!

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Hadoku » 13 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

Gwion wrote:Hadoku, i think the point is that roosters are noisy buggers

Yeah right.

Wasn't thinking of the obvious before.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Klem » 13 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Gwion wrote:On the plus side you can have a pet rooster as a hunting buddy! LOL!

Psstt. Stay quiet quiet frank, there's the deer...

KAAAWWK A DOOOO DAAAAAL DOOOOOOOO

That's gunna work :P :lol:
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Brute » 13 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

Frank the rooster :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

The chook pen on the farm seems to bring in foxes no worries. I hate the noise of my roosters so maybe I need separate mobile rooster pens too ... placed in the middle of each of my back paddocks ;)
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by eeckle » 14 Jan 2015, 9:55 am

KWhorenet wrote:I hate the noise of my roosters so maybe I need separate mobile rooster pens too

Do they carry on all day or just the sunrise warble?
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Jan 2015, 11:12 pm

eeckle wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:I hate the noise of my roosters so maybe I need separate mobile rooster pens too

Do they carry on all day or just the sunrise warble?

Usually 0500 ish, before I want to get up. Sometimes at night. Not sure if its foxes stirring them up to crow at night in distress. Could be that I have a few young ones trying to assert them selves. These are the ones that may go to live 1km away up the paddock using the OP idea.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

The wild dogs certainly seem to be getting larger . I have only seen about a dozen in my time but a couple were showing signs of German Shepard cross in them. Photos I have seen from Qld show some big dogs . The Kyogle area has a lot of wild dogs I believe .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 15 Jan 2015, 1:08 pm

Jack V wrote:The wild dogs certainly seem to be getting larger . I have only seen about a dozen in my time but a couple were showing signs of German Shepard cross in them.

This is just what I've read, but the bit about German Sheppard supports it.

The cross breeding is a growing problem apparently, here in QLD and elsewhere. Irresponsible owners get dogs they can't handle - the usual suspects, rotties, sheppards, staffies - all big dogs, and when they don't want it any more they abandon it or make no effort to retrieve it when it's lost or runs away.

Breed those with the wild ones and you've got a big ass dog with a proper wild nature. Not something to mess with.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Spooner » 15 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

Bit off topic but I have to shake my head at the yanks who decide having a pet wolf would be cool.

Half breeds are legal, but apparently pure breeds are sold as puppies with the paperwork saying half/half just so they can sell them.

Then surprise, surprise. Their "pet" grows up into a wild animal. Who knew? :roll:
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Jack V » 15 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

Hatter wrote:
Jack V wrote:The wild dogs certainly seem to be getting larger . I have only seen about a dozen in my time but a couple were showing signs of German Shepard cross in them.

This is just what I've read, but the bit about German Sheppard supports it.

The cross breeding is a growing problem apparently, here in QLD and elsewhere. Irresponsible owners get dogs they can't handle - the usual suspects, rotties, sheppards, staffies - all big dogs, and when they don't want it any more they abandon it or make no effort to retrieve it when it's lost or runs away.

Breed those with the wild ones and you've got a big ass dog with a proper wild nature. Not something to mess with.

They have these wild dogs in Qld called sundowners because they come out of the Sundown NP , f*cken huge b*stards . I saw some photos on another forum .

A hungry pack of them on your tracks could be dangerous I reckon . When I worked in the bush we would see a few stray dogs now and then that were dumped by local town people . Some people have no conscience at all.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by crush » 16 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

Spooner wrote:Bit off topic but I have to shake my head at the yanks who decide having a pet wolf would be cool.

Half breeds are legal, but apparently pure breeds are sold as puppies with the paperwork saying half/half just so they can sell them.

Then surprise, surprise. Their "pet" grows up into a wild animal. Who knew? :roll:

Saw a show on that.

High food aggression issues as you'd expect from wild animal. Everyone reported nearly losing a finger.
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by hoogle » 16 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

Jack V wrote:Some people have no conscience at all.

Did you read that one a few months ago where some psycho didn't want his dog any more so he slit it's throat and dumped it in the front yard.

Passers by found the thing still alive and took it to the vet who saved it.

:crazy:
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 16 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

No I did not see that one but that kind of behaviour is indicative of psychopaths. They start out by killing the family pets in vicious ways. Pretty sick b*stard.

We had a kid in our street that killed most of his pets and I tried to tell the parents he had a real problem that would get worse by 14 he was on the run from the Police for drug dealing , break and enter, assault , cleaning out his younger sisters bank account and threatening to kill his older sisters unborn child.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by hoogle » 18 Jan 2015, 8:49 am

The guy was an old guy in that incident, who knows what else was done up to that point? :|
hoogle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 18 Jan 2015, 8:52 am

Jack V wrote:I tried to tell the parents

All those things only apply to other parents kids though, right?

Not their little snow-flake :problem:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 18 Jan 2015, 10:06 am

Norton wrote:All those things only apply to other parents kids though, right?

Not their little snow-flake :problem:

Right on mate.

All I ever got from the parents was, "he's only 8,----- he's only 10,----- he's only 12, ---- he's only 14 and being arrested for B&E.

They had a chance to help this kid very early with the right medical advice and medication but they stuck their heads in the sand. I felt very sorry for the kid as he had no chance with those dead heads of parents.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 19 Jan 2015, 10:34 am

crush wrote:Everyone reported nearly losing a finger.

Off topic but... A friend of mine has a pure rottie girl, placid as but a powerful animal obviously.

They were walking an another owner has his agro dog slip the leash or whatever happened and his dog made a bee-line for her and attacked her.

Owners are trying to break it up and in reaching for her dogs collar from behind while they're both going at it with both hands one of her little fingers made it's way into the back of her rotties jaws.

*snip*

No more finger. :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Nasty! Known people to lose finger the same way in the past.

Hard to know what to do in such a situation, but having hands near snapping dogs heads is dangerous!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by headspace » 19 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

I've never owned a dog that bit a human, I've had a few that bit other dogs, but that happens. Dog bits human, human shoots dog, the end. There was a pack of wild dogs not far from my place led by something that looked like a Ridgeback. You don't want it climbing over you. Some pigs hunters have lost dogs and guess what they become. No one should have a hunting dog without a homing collar, or whatever you call them. I'm now the local dogger for my little valley.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 20 Jan 2015, 7:31 am

JD, at least you have a good way to keep your shooting hobby occupied on ferals! :thumbsup:

People with hunting dogs going missing and [the very few] ignorant, apathetic hunters who leave them behind and have no means of trapping them are the cause of all the feral dogs in this part of the world. There are a few dumped.run away dogs in there too, i'm sure. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

The bloke i mentioned earlier, who used to hunt dogs for Parks at one stage, said they got an abusive call from one old local lady saying that the wild dogs should be left alone because it's part of the local heritage. "Our family has lost hundreds of dogs up there over the years... why do you think they call it Wild Dog Creek!!!???!!!" :wtf: :unknown: :problem:

Now, not a heap of dog damage to stock around because there are so many Pademelons and other ground dwelling marsupials that are easy meals but the damage they do to native fauna must be immense.
Last edited by Aster on 21 Jan 2015, 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: see []
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Warrigul » 20 Jan 2015, 9:00 am

A totally incorrect and mis informed post.

See PM
Last edited by Warrigul on 20 Jan 2015, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control