Wild dogs worries

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Wild dogs worries

Post by headspace » 30 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

I was buggerising around yesterday when the phone rang and one of the neighbours wanted me to come over. They'd been watching a pack of 6 dogs running around their cattle, and as they don't shoot they call me. Anyone who has hunted dogs will know they are bloody cagey and these were no exception.

I grabbed the 222 and a handful of ammo and went down to their place. Their son was down near the creek where they'd last seen the dogs and he was a bit excited. As I was following the fence line I noticed 2 things, one of the dogs was strolling around on some flat ground near the creek, and I had a bit of a hill between me and where I reckoned the dogs were, plus the wind was in my face.

I got the young bloke to be quiet and we sneaked down a bit further then got through the fence and crept up to the top of the hill, trying not to skyline myself. As II peeked over the hill one of the dogs came out from under a big tree by the creek and must have seen me, because he went back in pretty quick. Then two more came out and starting walking towards where I was. I shot the first one and at the shot 3 others ran out from under the tree and headed for the next post code. Then unbelievably another one came out and walked over to the one I'd shot. Well, I shot it too, so that was two dogs down although I had to finish off the second one. It's amazing what a 40gn Vmax will do at 50 yards with 23gn of 2207 burning it's bum.

JD 8-)
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Wild dogs worries

Post by Noisydad » 30 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

I know a deer hunter who says when you're quietly stalking through the bush and realise/sense you're being stalked by wild dogs it's scary as hell!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 30 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

Yeah mate, it happened to me once, only I was fishing on a remote section of the Clarence. Just had this feeling and turned around and here's this bloody dingo standing there.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 30 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

well done, from what ive heard its not often that you can get another one, neighbour's must be happy 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Dec 2014, 6:59 pm

Good work, 2 down 4 to go.

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 30 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

headspace wrote:I was buggerising around yesterday when the phone rang and one of the neighbours wanted me to come over. They'd been watching a pack of 6 dogs running around their cattle, and as they don't shoot they call me. Anyone who has hunted dogs will know they are bloody cagey and these were no exception. I grabbed the 222 and a handful of ammo and went down to their place. Their son was down near the creek where they'd last seen the dogs and he was a bit excited. As I was following the fence line I noticed 2 things, one of the dogs was strolling around on some flat ground near the creek, and I had a bit of a hill between me and where I reckoned the dogs were, plus the wind was in my face.
I got the young bloke to be quiet and we sneaked down a bit further then got through the fence and crept up to the top of the hill, trying not to skyline myself. As II peeked over the hill one of the dogs came out from under a big tree by the creek and must have seen me, because he went back in pretty quick. Then two more came out and starting walking towards where I was. I shot the first one and at the shot 3 others ran out from under the tree and headed for the next post code. Then unbelievably another one came out and walked over to the one I'd shot. Well, I shot it too, so that was two dogs down although I had to finish off the second one. It's amazing what a 40gn Vmax will do at 50 yards with 23gn of 2207 burning it's bum.
JD 8-)

Good work.
Now..... go shoot the rest of the pack. Send me the tail to muzzle and I'll split the bounty with you. 6x100 x 50% =$300, is that fair?? :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2014, 7:11 pm

Well done mate, might be time to get some traps and get into them that way, easier than hoping to run into them type thing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 30 Dec 2014, 8:17 pm

1290, thanks for the offer mate, but it's been a hot day here about 37 under the verandah, and I don't think I'll go skin a dog that's rigored up and getting very smelly. Too bad we don't have a bounty like they have in Vic. Can you imagine the stink (literally) at Aus Post? I might stake out the carcases to see if a fox gets interested though. Scot, we tried trapping but only got one in about 5 weeks. It a pain but I guess you have to wait 'em out. No use trying to walk around and see them they'll be long gone. I may go down in the early morning and see if there's any come back or even a fox. I'm not a fan of 1080 either, to indiscriminate. I've just loaded up another 40 rounds "to be sure" 20 rounds of 40 gn and 20 of 50gn.
Cheers,
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

headspace wrote:1290, thanks for the offer mate, but it's been a hot day here about 37 under the verandah, and I don't think I'll go skin a dog that's rigored up and getting very smelly. Too bad we don't have a bounty like they have in Vic. Can you imagine the stink (literally) at Aus Post? I might stake out the carcases to see if a fox gets interested though. Scot, we tried trapping but only got one in about 5 weeks. It a pain but I guess you have to wait 'em out. No use trying to walk around and see them they'll be long gone. I may go down in the early morning and see if there's any come back or even a fox. I'm not a fan of 1080 either, to indiscriminate. I've just loaded up another 40 rounds "to be sure" 20 rounds of 40 gn and 20 of 50gn.
Cheers,
John

I'd be putting some traps around that log they were hiding in! ;) Hope you nail em mate, they certainly can be destructive little bugger when they get into killing mode :D

P.S. what did you use to attract them to the traps?

If it was me I'd be getting a big syringe and stick in it in their bladder and extracting the urine, probably best to keep the male/female in separate jars and use that near the traps, or some of the other dog attractants that are available

Get Trapped is a great place to get your trapping gear - Petes a good fella to deal with and can help with advice etc

http://www.gettrapped.com.au/index.php? ... ommon/home
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

Next time you'r having a feed of prawns, smash up the heads n shells, put into screw top jars and fill with water, put in the shade and after a few (hot) days drain off and use the liquid - only use a few drops.

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm

headspace wrote:Yeah mate, it happened to me once, only I was fishing on a remote section of the Clarence. Just had this feeling and turned around and here's this bloody dingo standing there.

Yeah, we used to get a few around Copenhurst and junction Clarence & Orara rivers areas. Nice looking dogs too.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 31 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm

Thanks Scot, I'll try that with urine, I was talking to a dogger over in west Aus once and he had a similar thing going but he's trained his bitch to pee on command and got the urine soaked sand sprinkled around the trap. It killed the man scent and attracted mainly male dogs. Rogina Jack, that's all good country over there, you're right about the dogs they look good enough to take home, some of them anyway.
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by roob » 02 Jan 2015, 10:50 am

headspace wrote:Then two more came out and starting walking towards where I was.

:shock:

Coming to take your measure and have a go? I suppose if one has a go they all join in? That'd be some scaring s**t with that many dogs around.
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sha » 02 Jan 2015, 10:51 am

headspace wrote:It's amazing what a 40gn Vmax will do at 50 yards with 23gn of 2207 burning it's bum.

Burning the bullets bum, eh. Well that's the first time I've heard shooting described like that :lol:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Press » 02 Jan 2015, 11:06 am

Noisydad wrote:I know a deer hunter who says when you're quietly stalking through the bush and realise/sense you're being stalked by wild dogs it's scary as hell!

I have a bit of a stand off with 3 of them a year back, freaky s**t I'll tell ya.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 03 Jan 2015, 7:03 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I found the first shot normally gets them on the move but they must have been domestic dogs gone feral Head as it's unusual for them to stop and smell the dead one's. Domestics gone feral are a lot more dangerous than the run of the mill Dingo IMHO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 03 Jan 2015, 4:08 pm

Westy wrote:I found the first shot normally gets them on the move but they must have been domestic dogs gone feral

I was fortunate that that was the case, s**ting myself for a few seconds though wondering what'd they do on the first shot :lol:

(P.S. Just if your interested, this was the story - Run in with wild dogs)
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 03 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

Westy these dogs were definitely wild. No collars or anything. However they looked like young dogs because the older ones took off like someone had shoved a rocket up the chute. Sha, thanks for the comment, I like to get original once in a while.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 5:20 pm

No not Collars but cross breeds with Dingo's, some of the ones weve been shooting and poisoning lately are bloody huge like a Pig Dog ( Bull Arab) cross say around 40-50 kg will dig up some photo's for you headspace and great work on culling the Bastards!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 04 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

Westy. I think that most of the wild dogs we get around here in the Northern Rivers are cross bred with dingo's. I've seen some bloody big ones and a bloke not far from my place told me about what looked like a Ridgeback leading a pack. It actually had a go at a farmer who was on his quad at the time but no rifle. Those two I got were undoubtedly young dogs and the 2nd dog was curious about what happened to his brother I guess. He soon found out! The parent dogs, if that's what they were had a lot more size about 'em, and they didn't hang about. One of the wallabies that hangs around our place had what looked like a torn ear. and that would be an encounter with dogs.
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Hey John nice part of the world your in N-rivers my Oldman and grandfather came from that part of the world!!!! ;) :D :P
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by huccl » 05 Jan 2015, 9:51 am

headspace wrote:Can you imagine the stink (literally) at Aus Post?

I'm for it. It might get them to move their asses and get some work done at a decent pace with that pushing them :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 05 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

You're right there Westy, I love it here. Close to everything I like to do.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

Good work Headspace.

I've been researching the feral dog population locally. Made friends with a guy who used to hunt them for Parks. He said they had little success on an official level but one bloke in a few valleys over bagged 39 in one year. His technique was to put an old rooster in a cage with some food and water and sit off the cage with his rifle down wind. These are all domestic ferals breeding up over the years. No dingos ever in Tas.

Some might not like the idea of putting a live rooster out as bait (even if it is in a cage and quite safe from attack), but this is Tassy after all. Thought it might be worth sharing the info for general feral dog tricks.

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Westy » 13 Jan 2015, 7:05 am

Gwion wrote:His technique was to put an old rooster in a cage with some food and water and sit off the cage with his rifle down wind. These are all domestic ferals breeding up over the years. No dingos ever in Tas.

Some might not like the idea of putting a live rooster out as bait (even if it is in a cage and quite safe from attack), but this is Tassy after all. Thought it might be worth sharing the info for general feral dog tricks.

I like the idea :friends: :drinks: :friends:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Hadoku » 13 Jan 2015, 8:24 am

Stick out a cage for a rabbit, should work just as well? (Not everyone has a Rooster handy :lol:)

2 birds with one stone if the rabbit gets taken anyway ;)
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Jan 2015, 8:34 am

Hadoku, i think the point is that roosters are noisy buggers and dogs are curious about a rooster in the middle of the bush/paddock. Hence using a rooster and not a hen. Contact a local breeder, they always have roosters they don't want but sometimes don't want other to have either, unfortunately. On the plus side you can have a pet rooster as a hunting buddy! LOL!

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Hadoku » 13 Jan 2015, 1:52 pm

Gwion wrote:Hadoku, i think the point is that roosters are noisy buggers

Yeah right.

Wasn't thinking of the obvious before.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Klem » 13 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

Gwion wrote:On the plus side you can have a pet rooster as a hunting buddy! LOL!

Psstt. Stay quiet quiet frank, there's the deer...

KAAAWWK A DOOOO DAAAAAL DOOOOOOOO

That's gunna work :P :lol:
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Brute » 13 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

Frank the rooster :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal