Wild dogs worries

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Wild dogs worries

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 1:51 pm

"dog up the spuds " is that like a spud lugging dog or does it round up the spuds . Does the dog have good eye on a spud or does he heel a spud.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

:mrgreen: Yeah , He's got quiet a commanding bark! :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm

So he's a spud , "backer and barker then " very interesting . :lol: You know almost no one else has a clue what we are talking about .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tactice » 28 Jan 2015, 6:20 pm

I'm lost. Not up on my potato herding vocabulary :lol:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 6:30 pm

tactice wrote:I'm lost. Not up on my potato herding vocabulary :lol:

Up over the back of sheep and move them by barking. Many different styles and breeds some are silent some aren't.

I can watch working dogs for hours but our family hasn't had them since the farm was sold when I was 16, I am no expert.

Working dogs are worthy of a topic all by itself.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by tactice » 29 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

Warrigul wrote:Working dogs are worthy of a topic all by itself.

It's interesting to watch :thumbsup:

I'll read it if someone writes it :lol:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jan 2015, 5:49 pm

Jack V wrote:So he's a spud , "backer and barker then " very interesting . :lol: You know almost no one else has a clue what we are talking about .

LOL, Yes sad but true, :friends:

Our Fido was certainly different - he would just sit in the shade & watch us, me n me brother work for hours trying to get the Merinos up the race and into the truck. Finally, out from the shade, up and do the "backer n barking" trick & get the stubborn ewe moving into the truck, followed by the rest & back to the shade. Job done! :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

Yeah I have seen some smart ones . And it's funny how some are great in the paddock but useless in the yards and visa versa . A place where I worked had this kelpie called "Ginger " . When we took the station dogs pig hunting he would fall back behind us a bit at a time , then when he thought no one was looking go like the blazes all the way back to the station house . He hated chasing pigs but would pretend he was all keen infront of everyone . He was a sneaky bugger . It was just as well as he was a great sheep dog and chasing pigs is dangerous anyway .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 30 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

I've had some great dogs over the years, and have a couple buried down in the paddock. But no more. Bloody things get into your head.

By the way my method of breaking up a dog fight was to kick the aggressor in the throat. Can't breathe can't bite is the theory. It worked the couple of times I had to use it because one of my dogs would run 300 yards to start a fight, and usually win. he was really good apart from that, no social skills at all.

By the way if the RSPCA is reading this kicking a dog in the throat is way better than having the throat ripped open. I never took any of my dogs on another blokes property unless I cleared it with him. Just manners I guess.

JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 31 Jan 2015, 11:03 am

I know what you mean you get to a point that you don't want anymore hunting dogs . I am not fit enough anymore to really keep up with the dogs on foot especially in rough country so I just don't have dogs anymore . I had a few over the years that you had to belt off with a short length of poly pipe to make them let go.

Dogging is a young mans sport however it is still the old hands that have the most dog handling knowledge.

Good manners is the corner stone of society. Unfortunately the wall it pins is crumbling away.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 02 Feb 2015, 8:28 am

headspace wrote:By the way if the RSPCA is reading this kicking a dog in the throat is way better than having the throat ripped open. I never took any of my dogs on another blokes property unless I cleared it with him. Just manners I guess.

They'd probably want to 'save' the dog from you now.... So they can put it down next week :roll:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 03 Feb 2015, 2:22 pm

We keep coming foul of the PC brigade don't we.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 04 Feb 2015, 9:42 am

headspace wrote:We keep coming foul of the PC brigade don't we.

You noticed huh? :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control