Hunting with 223 What will it do?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Hunting with 223 What will it do?

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm

I purchased a 223 about 6 months ago, mainly for a little fox hunting and have started developing hand loads. I'm getting about 2950 fps with Hornady 55 gn SP out of the 22" barrel. It's fitted with a nice 3-9x40.

Now I've shot 3 foxes with that load and all dropped on the spot with chest shots under 100 yards. Since I have stocked up with projectiles etc I have no plans to change the load apart from tweaking it a little further to improve on the .8 moa I currently get. It is quickly becoming my favourite rifle to grab due to cheap to load, bugger all recoil and light weight rifle.

So, I googled around & found that in the US some are using it with say 65 gr pills for whitetail deer and they weigh up to 120kg. And I believe the Kiwis used it to cull Reds yrs ago, but I have no intention of using it on deer due to Victorian legalities & I have a 3006 for that anyway.

Since I keep taking it out for walks when I get a chance I thought I would ask the more experienced 223 users what they think this load is capable of taking cleanly, mainly chest shots at sensible ranges, say 150 yrds. Goats & small pigs perhaps?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Hunting with 223 What will it do?

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

It will do goat and pigs with well placed shots no worries at all, plenty of deer have fallen too em too, again shot placement is the key to getting good consistent kills with em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 31 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

Don't try that .223 in Vic on deer.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 31 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

It can do quite a bit more but to use the heavier projectiles you may need a tighter twist . Depending on what gun you bought some have a 1 in 12 twist and others may have a 1in 8 or similar . 1 in 12 is kinda standard for the 223 and I find I can use a 60 grain flat base . However if I want to use heavier longer bullets then I have to change the barrel . A 60 grain FBHP will take small pigs and goats upto 150 yards with well placed shots . However large well built billies with thick matted hair can be variable for the 223 with body shots . It's not bad to have a few loads of heavier bullets at hand while spotlighting foxes just in case a pig turns up in the light .

Go for a body shot on small pig and a behind the ear or neck shot on a big one . A lot of people rave on about how they shoot everything with a 223 but they are doing head shots . I have seen a big pig just run off after a solid shoulder hit with a 223 . I have dug 303 projectiles out of the shield on a big pig that failed to stop him.

Sometimes it works and other times it don't . Keep the game size sensible and the range sensible and place the shots well and the 223 can take a lot of game.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm

North East wrote:Don't try that .223 in Vic on deer.

Yep I know, live in Vic & the 3006 is for the sambar.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

Jack v, Its 1 in 9" twist.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 31 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep I know, live in Vic & the 3006 is for the sambar.

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 01 Feb 2015, 11:25 am

Oldbloke wrote:Jack v, Its 1 in 9" twist.

That's good it will make it more useful with heavier bullets . In a 1 in 9 twist barrel in good condition you should be able to use the 75 grain Berger VLD bullet .

Sierra 69 grain Tipped Match King , 75 grain Hornady match . ( possibly not the 75 grain a-max ) , Nosler custom competition 69 grain BTHP , You may a have to drive them a bit harder though.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 01 Feb 2015, 1:21 pm

Jack V wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Jack v, Its 1 in 9" twist.

That's good it will make it more useful with heavier bullets . In a 1 in 9 twist barrel in good condition you should be able to use the 75 grain Berger VLD bullet .
Sierra 69 grain Tipped Match King , 75 grain Hornady match . ( possibly not the 75 grain a-max ) , Nosler custom competition 69 grain BTHP , You may a have to drive them a bit harder though.

iv also just purchased a 223 with a 1-9 twist and was exploring some heaver projectiles for it so cheers for the list it gives me a starting point :drinks:
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 01 Feb 2015, 2:02 pm

All those bullets stabilize in a good tight 1 in 9 . Some people will get short range stability with heavier longer bullets but sometimes don't know they are loosing accuracy at longer ranges due to instability creeping in . Also giving them the most velocity you can get out of a small 223 case is a good thing to keep them supersonic as far out as possible but still remaining in safe pressure territory . Generally case life with a 223 in long range loads will be less than with more normal loads due to more pressure .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 02 Feb 2015, 12:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep I know, live in Vic & the 3006 is for the sambar.

I think you just became NE best friend :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 02 Feb 2015, 1:30 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Since I keep taking it out for walks when I get a chance I thought I would ask the more experienced 223 users what they think this load is capable of taking cleanly, mainly chest shots at sensible ranges, say 150 yrds. Goats & small pigs perhaps?

IMO... On all but the smallest pigs I'd say chest shots are borderline at 150yards. If you can put one behind the ear as mentioned above then that's the ticket.

Don't wanna say "just head shot them" as that's easier said than done, consistently anyway. If a tall bipod or shooting sticks are an option though there's that.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

Korkt wrote:IMO... On all but the smallest pigs I'd say chest shots are borderline at 150yards. If you can put one behind the ear as mentioned above then that's the ticket.

Don't wanna say "just head shot them" as that's easier said than done, consistently anyway. If a tall bipod or shooting sticks are an option though there's that.

Thanks korkt. Yep I usually carry shooting sticks. Luvem.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 02 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm

Just be a little bit careful, the problem you may have with the heavier projectiles is magazine length and seating depth, don't buy a large batch before you have tested them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm

Warrigul wrote:Just be a little bit careful, the problem you may have with the heavier projectiles is magazine length and seating depth, don't buy a large batch before you have tested them.

thanks good point, I think its ok but will check next time I pick it up.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 02 Feb 2015, 6:21 pm

Magazine length is always a problem . That is why I like the Howa long action in 223 . It is easy to lengthen the magazine and the bolt travel to allow your longer bullet to be seated out a bit more than usual . I notice Howa is bringing out a short action . If they only chamber 223 in the short action I will never buy a new one.
I hate actions that shoe horn the cartridge into the action with no place to extend anything .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 03 Feb 2015, 1:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Thanks korkt. Yep I usually carry shooting sticks. Luvem.

No problem.

No problem.

No problem.

:P
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control