Disappointing show

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Disappointing show

Post by headspace » 22 Feb 2015, 9:29 am

Myself and four mates drove from Lismore to Tamworth this weekend to attend the hunting and shooting expo down there. It had been brilliant the year before but this year the number of exhibitors was way down, like about half of what was there last year. However we managed to have a chat with Shooters and Fishers member Rob Borsak, and the ladies at the Firearms registry desk were great. There were a couple of custom gun makers there as well so I could drool on the fine walnut and blued metal. But basically it was mostly blokes advertising guided hunts. We were all prepared to spend a day there, but we'd finished in an hour and a half, so we cancelled the extra night at the motel and headed back home.
I have no idea why the number of exhibitors was so low, but I can't see me going to another one.
John
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Disappointing show

Post by Jack V » 22 Feb 2015, 9:53 am

I know what you are saying. I have given up going to them because they generally don't have anything for sale that I want and when they do the price is steep when you also add on the traveling costs . If it's a close local one I might go but I would not travel far to one anymore .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 22 Feb 2015, 10:18 am

maybe we should ask the organisers what happened? to give up on it might kill it? where is if we kinda give it the benefit of the doubt deal maybe all it needs to flourish is for people to keep going regardless of how crappy it was last year or this year. Know what I mean? food for thought.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 22 Feb 2015, 10:25 am

Last years here in Queensland @ ipswich was a pile of stinking DogShit!!!! Problem is the organisers are looking for to much money to allow people to sell their wares at these shows which in turn the sellers have to pass it on to us @ inflated prices...Also I believe these type of shows have run their coarse @ this present time in history as IO for one aren't going to go outta my way to drive a few hours to be over charged to see everything I can see on my computer in my upstairs office, to be then charged ridiculous prices for the pleasure.... Not a whole lot like a tourist traps these shows ,get you in then squeeze your cash outta your wallet!!My 50cents worth here!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 22 Feb 2015, 11:07 am

Loyalty is ok for those who can afford it . The last show I went to advertised that a barrel maker would be there selling new barrels so I turned up thinking I might get a bargain , paid to get in and no barrels for sale at all , did not show up or never was going to be there . Either way I drove a fair way for nothing .
I think Westy is right the times are a changing . Time and petrol is too expensive now to waste on the off chance you might see something you want .
If it's not far to get there then it can be looked upon as a day out even if you don't buy anything . With Joe Hockey forcing 83 year olds back to work I can't afford unproductive trips anymore . Did you know that a World survey of retirement funds and incomes put Australia below Afghanistan for retirement income security . Yes Afghanistan ! Get ready for increased homlessness on our streets and it will be mainly the older people . I am seeing it already in Sydney .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 22 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

I don't know about the political climate affecting the viability of gun shows, I think it's more like the organisers are squeezing the very last drop out of everything. It's a two edged sword, they charge the exhibitors to come and still charge the consumers to attend but none of the money is spent on promoting it. Some of these event organisers are nothing but money making concerns and often have little interest in the event they put on. Four wheel drive and camping shows are often in a similar situation. I will be writing to the organisers of this last one, but I don't expect an intelligent reply.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 22 Feb 2015, 2:25 pm

yeah fair enough...well if they want money you would think they would play their cards right to begin with to give it a strong future.
maybe they are not mature enough for such shoes...
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 22 Feb 2015, 6:00 pm

Hey pajama they don't care for you or the hunting/shooting industry at all just your hard earned dollars mate!!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 23 Feb 2015, 7:20 pm

Shame.

No hints/justification from the organisers why numbers where down?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kater » 23 Feb 2015, 7:21 pm

Bummer.

Sucks when a good thing turns bad.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by headspace » 23 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

ebr love wrote:Shame.

No hints/justification from the organisers why numbers where down?

No reply from my email yet mate, Shooter and Fishers Party Robert Borsak was there and I don't think he was impressed either. There were a couple of good gun smithing displays but one gun store looked like it only had large calibre projectiles it wanted to get rid of. Abela's had a pretty big display. But none of the big distributors like NIOA :unknown: were there.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 25 Feb 2015, 12:42 pm

headspace wrote:Abela's had a pretty big display.

Looks like they go big at the shows.

They were front and centre at the Melbourne SHOT show with a big stand too.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control