Damm Crows

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Damm Crows

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm

It seems like the crows have had a population explosion here just lately.
I spent (wasted) a couple hours this afternoon trying to bag a few.
They seem to spread out over 10 or 15 acres in a circular fashion.
So it doesn't matter where you start, some of em see you and tell the others.
Their sentrys seem to have the knack of keeping behind clumps of foliage with only the head visible (or in most cases not visible till too late)

Tried going out in the general area and sitting in a hide a week ago,,,, and you guessed it, they didn't turn up at all.
They are the most cunning and freakishly lucky thing I've ever hunted.
Even when you do get one, that's it,, just one,, cos my "sound moderator" cant be working. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Maybe I'm trying too hard,,, I had better results when I wasn't actually trying to exterminate the little b#@^*rds.

Anyone else get frustrated with em ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Damm Crows

Post by Westy » 12 Mar 2015, 6:19 am

Feed the pricks for a few weeks !!!!Build a 2mx1m fence outta chicken wire . After 2 weeks put a top on it with a 250mm funnel hole on the top of it and sit back and watch the fun begin Die!!!!!!!
Do you have a shotgun @ all
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 12 Mar 2015, 6:42 am

The sods can tell the difference between a shovel over your shoulder and a rifle over your shoulder too!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2015, 8:11 am

If you, accidentally, wing the first one the rest will hang about or keep coming back.

Crows at 300m with a target centerfire is the ultimate sport, but you will only ever get one unless the above happens.

I use a crow call, it works.

PS, crows can see colour.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by loopal » 12 Mar 2015, 2:26 pm

Not just the cyclone up there bringing them all out from their hiding places recently?
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by cooker » 12 Mar 2015, 2:27 pm

Warrigul wrote:If you, accidentally, wing the first one the rest will hang about or keep coming back.

*WINK*

:lol:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by wrenchman » 12 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

as warrigul said get a crow call you could also kill a rabbit throw it were crows can see it easy and mix in a rabbit distress call with the crow call.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by hrrl » 12 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

wrenchman wrote:as warrigul said get a crow call you could also kill a rabbit throw it were crows can see it easy and mix in a rabbit distress call with the crow call.

This is sounding like hunting for a Turducken :lol:
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 12 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

make some crow decoys, that may help ?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2015, 7:07 pm

FYI. We do not have any crows in OZ. They are "white eyed ravens" , and natives. A little known fact.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 12 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

My favourite bird in the Outback... pre-dawn a few caws in the distance, then the sound of wind through feathers as it perches on a nearby tree and eyes your swag. If you weren't wakened by the airborne noise, the raucous AAARK!!!! takes care of that. {Are you alive, or can I have your eyeballs for breakfast???}
A few days of that and the first sound of wings are quite enough to make you wake and thump the swag so it pisses off and lets you sleep a little longer, at least until the sun hits the swag... then it rapidly heats and your sleep in is over :D

I shot a few as a kid for feathers to fletch crossbow bolts. Near impossible with a .22, you hit them but there's not enough vital damage to drop them.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:FYI. We do not have any crows in OZ. They are "white eyed ravens" , and natives. A little known fact.

Forest ravens in TAS, and yes you can legally shoot them.

A tip with shotguns use #4 or heavier shot otherwise the pellets don't penetrate much over 25m but if you are in the middle of an orchard and one does wing by when you have #7, 8 or 9 shot in each barrel then wait until they turn away and give it to them when the wing is raised, drop dead every time. I shoot twenty to forty over the orchards each year, most when the cherries have dropped. First walk in the orchard of a morning I always have #4's in the second barrel in case I disturb a crow.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by FuzzyM » 12 Mar 2015, 8:45 pm

Not good for lambs when they are being born.
Just ask my Granfather :(
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 12 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

Growing up we used to drop one occasionaly with the .22 but the rest would get really savvy and would take off as soon as they saw the barrel whether poking out of a window or hidden in a bush. Wrapped the barrel in hessian sack and got two more. Then the bastards would take off if they saw hessian. Too smart for their own good.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 12 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

I remember a technique in an old shootiñg mag on how to shoot crows. You built a hide and with 20 of your mates enter the hide. Then 14 leave and 12 go bak then 6 leave and 7 return then 3 leave and 9 return then 2 new mates enter and leave immediately and so on until the crows are confused and then you may shoot one.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 13 Mar 2015, 6:34 am

Apparently more crows are killed on the roads when picking over road kill by trucks than passenger vehicles.. It's because the sentry's they station on the power lines or fence posts can only say "Car, car, carrrrrr".
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by trekin » 13 Mar 2015, 6:43 am

Oldbloke wrote:FYI. We do not have any crows in OZ. They are "white eyed ravens" , and natives. A little known fact.

Not quite right bloke, (sorry Jacky boy couldn't wait any longer for you to pipe in ;) ), there are in fact three Raven and two Crow species native to Australia, as well as a blow in Crow species from the near north Asian region which has made regular appearances as a ship-assisted vagrant.

Australian raven (Corvus coronoides)
Little raven (C. mellori)
Forest raven (C. tasmanicus)
Little crow (C. bennetti)
Torresian crow (C. orru)
House crow (C. splendens)

And for our QLD viewers all Crows and Ravens are native animals and are protected under the QLD Nature Conservation Act 1992.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mr.x » 13 Mar 2015, 12:16 pm

Noisydad wrote:Apparently more crows are killed on the roads when picking over road kill by trucks than passenger vehicles.. It's because the sentry's they station on the power lines or fence posts can only say "Car, car, carrrrrr".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Arth » 13 Mar 2015, 2:42 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Too smart for their own good.

Common raven is the smartest bird "they" say.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 Mar 2015, 8:37 pm

Arth wrote:Common raven is the smartest bird "they" say.

Remember watching a doco on ravens living in Japan and how they would get nuts from a tree in the park. Then fly over a road and drop them so the cars could crush them. After a couple got hit they learned to drop them on pedestrian crossings and pick the nuts up when the light went green
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sally-bee » 14 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

Arth wrote:Common raven is the smartest bird "they" say.

It was in Ace Ventura so it must be true! :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Streamline » 14 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Remember watching a doco on ravens living in Japan and how they would get nuts from a tree in the park. Then fly over a road and drop them so the cars could crush them. After a couple got hit they learned to drop them on pedestrian crossings and pick the nuts up when the light went green

Smart stuff.

People don't give other animals enough credit.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

deanp100 wrote:I remember a technique in an old shootiñg mag on how to shoot crows. You built a hide and with 20 of your mates enter the hide. Then 14 leave and 12 go bak then 6 leave and 7 return then 3 leave and 9 return then 2 new mates enter and leave immediately and so on until the crows are confused and then you may shoot one.

When I first started school, I learned to count to ten because I had ten digits.
So it stands to reason that if your dealing with crows in early school stages, you would only need seven people to confuse em cos they can only count to 6

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by greyghost » 18 Mar 2015, 11:57 am

Die Judicii wrote:When I first started school, I learned to count to ten because I had ten digits.

If you ever really want to break out I have a trick that will let you count to 20!
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm

greyghost wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:When I first started school, I learned to count to ten because I had ten digits.

If you ever really want to break out I have a trick that will let you count to 20!

I musta went to a "classy" school if you'll pardon the pun.
We weren't encouraged to take off our shoes during lessons.
:lol: :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 19 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

And if you want to count to 21.......
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by greyghost » 19 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I musta went to a "classy" school if you'll pardon the pun.
We weren't encouraged to take off our shoes during lessons.
:lol: :D

You mean you had shoes? You are fancy.
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by anthillinside » 19 Mar 2015, 8:49 pm

Problem is Crows use the Binary systemso theyncan count to 15 on just one claw. :wtf:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 8:30 am

anthillinside wrote:Problem is Crows use the Binary systemso theyncan count to 15 on just one claw. :wtf:

Forget rise of the machines and the annihilation of the human race, get ready for "Rise of the crow"
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by hootshoot » 20 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm

the_birds.jpg
the_birds.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit