shootinng roos

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

shootinng roos

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2015, 7:15 am

i have a couple of questions i have read on here that some guys do control shooting and i dont no much about the way one is put together if were to shoot one in the shulders is it to hi to hit vitals is there a time of year that its done'
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: shootinng roos

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Apr 2015, 7:35 am

You should be able to get close enough for a head shot on a roo, their flight zone is quite small so its not too difficult to get close provided you move around casually.
The aborigines here were able to get close enough to club them to death with a boomerang or spear them at relatively close ranges by acting like a herbivore pretending to grazing and patiently closing the gap.

They aren't really considered sport here because they are basicly just sitting ducks especially at night under the spotlight.

To answer your question, a shoulder shot will take out vitals on a roo.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 07 Apr 2015, 8:19 am

Theres a lot of roos shooting, Roo is a wonderful meat, rich in all the good stuff and although I am by no stretch of the imagination a greenie, they are the most sustainable meat, prvided they dont destroy too much of the cropping and commercial grazing areas....

Trouble is that there is too much of an emotional attachment to the roo, as the kids are taught that roos are cute and cuddly little cartoon animals that you couldnt possible hurt, let alone eat...

The laws are such that if you cull them in Victoria, you cant eat or sell the meat.. so culled Vic roos go to waste and we buy in NSW meat as I understand.

As far as shooting, our Government departments have guidelines, generally specify 223Rem with headshots...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 07 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

wrenchman wrote:i dont no much about the way one is put together if were to shoot one in the shulders is it to hi to hit vitals

If one was facing you you'd aim between centre of chest about level with the arm pits.

Looking side on on a standing roo you'd aim just above where the elbow rest over the body.

.223 and a headshot is preferred by a lot of cullers who can get close and are trying to keep ammo costs to a minimum
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2015, 11:52 am

thanks guys
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by SendIt » 07 Apr 2015, 12:03 pm

No problem.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Apr 2015, 12:03 pm

As previous posters have said, preference is to head shoot or a well placed chest shot. It's also important to identify the species as there are several protected Wallaby breeds that have similar appearance to the Eastern Grey Kangaroo . If you're into motorcycle racing then the Australian Kangaroo plays a vital part to safety as the best leathers as used in MotoGP are made from roo leather. A skinned roo tail makes an excellent and nutritious chew toy for a dog, the meat is very high in protein and low in fat but requires some knowledge to cook it properly for human consumption. I quite like Roo meat, was even a place some years back doing "Kanga Kebabs" and many supermarkets are now selling Roo in the game meat section next to Emu & Croc (no kidding, I've bought it).
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 07 Apr 2015, 2:39 pm

Roo fillet's good :thumbsup:

You need to like it rare - medium though it seems. Cooked too much it goes tough quick.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 07 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

I had some Kangaroo Lasagne once camped in the Flinders with some Aboriginal people. Kind of a cross culture thing, but it was nice. Some roo meat has worms in it too, and the tribal folks told me to only shoot a roo that loves in dry country if you want to avoid worms. By the way they're not always docile last week out west of Goondiwindi there were mobs of 20 or so and all going like blazes. The property owner had culled about 200 before we got there. They do learn fast.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 08 Apr 2015, 2:20 am

it does seem like a waste to leave it on the ground it could be food for low income or the homeless we have a program here called hunters for the hungry.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by coroboreeboy » 08 Apr 2015, 6:13 am

When I was working for a roo shooter 40 years ago in western NSW, we were getting 8c per kilo for a carcase. If the roo had been head-shot, we could leave the head on, to be weighed with the carcase, as we hadn't spoiled any usable meat. We used a spotlight and .22 rimfire and all our roos were head-shot.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 08 Apr 2015, 9:14 am

wrenchman wrote:it does seem like a waste to leave it on the ground it could be food for low income or the homeless we have a program here called hunters for the hungry.

Huge waste, its a shame that we have so many families and kids living on mystery bags (the sausages that have a mysterious content) which is an abomination .... when we have an incredible resource of meat; Camel, pig, goat, roo, deer, yes, even horse and donkey... trouble is a lot of it is located thousands of kms away from civilisation therefore expensive to process/move/refrigerate....

We have what, 20 million pigs just in qld?? a million Camel which will double in i recall 8yrs being stated??.....yet food is coming from where? china... wheres the spew emoticon
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by headspace » 08 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

I was on a cattle station in Western Australia once and at the time you were not allowed to shoot 'roos under any circumstances. It was very dry and I can across this cement water tank with about 20 dead 'roos laying all around it. They could smell the water but couldn't get to it, so dies with their noses inches from water. Just because some beuorocrat said no shooting. Better a quick death that die of thirst and starvation.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 09 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm

headspace wrote:Better a quick death that die of thirst and starvation.

Which anyone with half a brain would agree with.

The Greens stand on their soap box and act it's as if all of nature is a flower filled meadow full of flowing streams and nothing ever suffers so much as a stubbed toe. I think they only reference half of them have for what life is like in the wild is they watched Bambi as a child.

Hunting is "wrong", "evil", "bloodthirsty"... but bring on the 1080 poison, fill in the rabbit warrens with concrete... Just do it quietly to keep up appearances of having the moral high ground.

The Greens are responsible for as much animal suffering as they claim to prevent.

It makes me sick frankly.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control