New to hunting scene and looking for a mentor

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

New to hunting scene and looking for a mentor

Post by macnet1 » 04 May 2015, 1:39 pm

Hey folks,
I've been licenced and a member of the SSAA and CWM in Queensland for some time now, but I'm still struggling to get out and actually do some hunting. I'm looking for anyone within Brisbane area who would be looking for a hunting bud to share there skills with.

Cheers
Mark
macnet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: New to hunting scene and looking for a mentor

Post by tito » 04 May 2015, 2:01 pm

Hi Mark , was in your position three years ago , have now many property's to hunt , all i can do is give you advise that worked well for myself , email japara18@bigpond.com
tito
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 04 May 2015, 2:03 pm

This can be a problem that affects many. Check your PM's
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 05 May 2015, 1:17 pm

Have a few drinks at which ever pub the local farmers frequent ;)
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tito » 17 May 2015, 7:47 am

Mark do you get to ssaa belmont ? dave
tito
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by macnet1 » 14 Jul 2015, 9:13 pm

HI Dave yes I get to the SSAA its about 10 minutes away from my house mate... sorry for late reply
macnet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Jul 2015, 9:41 pm

Seems to me that you've got a pretty large supply of mentors right here (the forum) without even going out of your house.

Granted, its not the same as having a physical presence to accompany you out in the field,
But you'd have to have a real doozy of a question that couldn't be answered from the forum buddies.
:friends: :drinks: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Browning » 15 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm

How are ya mate? What sort of hunting you wanting to get into? What gear/rifles you got?
If people gonna take u hunting, they might wanna know a bit about ya...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by macnet1 » 15 Jul 2015, 11:16 pm

Hi Browinig,

Thanks for the post- Im running a tika T3 270wsm (don't ask how i come to have this bugger), a 308win, .22 and a 12 gauge OU
Im a member of the SSAA (both at Ipswich and Belmont) and the CWM. Ive not been able to get much through the CWM so far. Been licenced about a year and just trying to get my head around reloading as well.
Really keen to get out into the Aussie country and hit some real stuff. Im an ex pom (don't hold it against me) 50 years old, ex military also, and a working professional. I'm keen to do the right thing for land owners and ensure that they have a positive experience when Im working with them.
I live in Birkdale and happy to travel

Cheers
Mark
macnet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 16 Jul 2015, 3:21 pm

macnet1 wrote:Thanks for the post- Im running a tika T3 270wsm (don't ask how i come to have this bugger

Do you reload? Shouldn't be an issue if you load your own.

A very capable cartridge, just can be a PITA for brass.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Browning » 16 Jul 2015, 6:35 pm

macnet1 wrote:Hi Browinig,

Thanks for the post- Im running a tika T3 270wsm (don't ask how i come to have this bugger), a 308win, .22 and a 12 gauge OU
Im a member of the SSAA (both at Ipswich and Belmont) and the CWM. Ive not been able to get much through the CWM so far. Been licenced about a year and just trying to get my head around reloading as well.
Really keen to get out into the Aussie country and hit some real stuff. Im an ex pom (don't hold it against me) 50 years old, ex military also, and a working professional. I'm keen to do the right thing for land owners and ensure that they have a positive experience when Im working with them.
I live in Birkdale and happy to travel

Cheers
Mark

Mate, we go out pretty regularly, usually leave on a Friday arvo and come back Sunday.. We generally keep it to pretty small groups of 3-4... If we are heading out and having trouble getting the usual lads along, I'll give ya a bell...
We're not piss heads, but enjoy a beer around the fire..
We all have families to come home to so safety takes a priority and we are also very aware that's it's a privilege to go to the properties we go to and the farmers wishes come before else..
The places we go, we often lend a hand around the place and leave it in a better condition than we found it...
No dogs, sometimes bikes and quads depending on the property, and a good sense of humor helps...
I'll keep ya posted mate.. We don't really go in for the whole range thing unless it's to sight in or test a new hand load, but if there's ever a gig open maybe we could catch up down there..
As I said, it's not often the lads aren't keen, but I'll keep u posted if a spot opens
Cheers
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 16 Jul 2015, 7:56 pm

G'day Mark
I'm in CWM as well. We're heading out to Amiens next week (you'll need to book your name for it in advance) so maybe sometime we'll meet eventually.
I'll be at Moonie this october, although we'll be arriving much later in the week.

Tom
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by macnet1 » 17 Jul 2015, 7:22 am

Thanks Browning I totally agree on your approach mate I've heard quite a few stories of piss heads/bogans trashing a farmers property, and that boils my blood given its so hard to maintain a good reputation for the sport. Thanks for putting by on the standby list champ I look forward to sharing a beer. :) :) :drinks:

Tom cheers for the call out mate, thats a bugger Im heading back to the UK next Wednesday for a month, but keen for Moonie project though. I don't know what it is but Ive applied for several spots on the projects and not heard a thing back for any of them, not even a 'sorry your not on the list email'.

Cheers everyone
macnet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 17 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

Supporter wrote:A very capable cartridge, just can be a PITA for brass.

Can be necked down from the larger calibre options too of course so shouldn't be too hard to find enough to keep you going.

Just don't expect shelves to always be stocked.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 19 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm

No worries Mark,
Usually the trip leaders will get back to you at some point regarding the trip a little closer to the date, if not after you sent them an e-mail for a reservation. I've only ever been to Amiens so the Moonie trip will be a first for me. Generally there are plenty of pigs to shoot at Moonie.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control