Anybody hunt with boomerang?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Anybody hunt with boomerang?

Post by Title_II » 25 May 2015, 10:45 pm

This is either going to be the most interesting hunting discussion of my life or the most humiliating full-blown make fun of the yank fest :D

It IS Australia, does anybody actually throw these things at animals?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Anybody hunt with boomerang?

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:06 pm

Title_II wrote:This is either going to be the most interesting hunting discussion of my life or the most humiliating full-blown make fun of the yank fest :D

It isn't going to option A...

For the most part, no, although I suppose on some traditional hunts they may still be used, though i'd expect spears would be more likely.
And no, hunting boomerangs don't return, and definitely don't deliver the kill back to the thrower
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 25 May 2015, 11:09 pm

Deliver the kill back to the thrower, LOL, I have to tell that to some of my yank buds :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 25 May 2015, 11:24 pm

The feral kid in Mad Max II had a cool Boomerang and if they made a tacticool version I'd probably buy one :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:27 pm

Maybe mount a holosight?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 25 May 2015, 11:39 pm

Hmmm maybe a mounted slinging / catapult delivery system

Target lock with adjustable trim tabs for guided flight

Brett, when you have one be sure to youtube it :thumbsup:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 25 May 2015, 11:43 pm

OMFG !!! hahaha

US510936-0.png
US510936-0.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 5528 times

http://www.google.com/patents/US510936

Catapult for propelling boomerangs
US 510936 A

Application filed March 11, 1893. Serial No. 465622. (N0 model.)

To all whom it may concern.-

Be it known that I, CHARLES W. RENEAR, a citizen of the United States, residing at-Stockton, in the county of San Joaquin and State of California, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Toys for Propelling Boomerang-s; and I do declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the companying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.

My invention relates to improvements in boomerang throwers or catapults; and its noveltywill be fully understood from the following description and claims when taken in connection with the annexed drawings,in which- Figure 1 is a side elevation of my improved boomerang thrower. Fig. 2 is a top View of the same with the boomerang in position for discharging, showing it in position before discharging the boomerang, the dotted lines indicating the position of the mechanism and boomerang after discharge. Fig. 3 is a detail sectional view through line X X Fig. 1. Fig. 4 is a detail sectional view of the bracket C through line X X Fig. 1. Fig. 5 is a side view of the boomerang.

In the drawings, similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts through out the several views, referring to which-- A, indicates an ordinary wooden handle, secured to a head B, preferably of cast iron, which is provided with a bracket or brace O,

I having a projection E, which projection is provided with a groove F and with a hole F, for

and H, extend outwardly in a plane approximately at right angles to that of the handle; A, and they merge at their outer ends into coil springs J which in turn merge into the forwardly or inwardly extending arms or wires G, H. These arms or wires carry a and replaced at pleasure of the person using .the device.

The springs J, are held in position by means of a bolt or rivet N, and are kept at a suitable distance from one another by means of a washer 0, located between the contiguous parts of the springs J. The head B, on either side, is provided with holes P for the purpose as will loo-shown.

Q, are lugs, provided with holes or guides, suitablysituatedin an irregular line with and between the holes P, into which holes and lugs P and Q, are inserted the ends of awire holder B, provided with a spring-jaw, which is adapted to hold my improved boomerang, S, in any desired horizontal position. By this construction it will be readily perceived that the boomerang holder B, may be adjusted with respect to the path traversed by the striker K, so as to give the boomerang diiferent flights.

The boomerang S, is made of aluminum, and is therefore very light and strong, and not liable to cause any accident should it strike any frail object in its flight. A flat bar of metal may be substituted for the wires G and H if desired.

The mode of operating my improved boomerang thrower, is as follows: The handle A, is grasped by the left hand of the person using the same, who with his right hand,grasps the cube K, and draws it back, as'shown in Fig. 2, and holds it in such position by placing the thumb of the left hand between said cube and the bracket 0. iVith the right hand, the boomerang is placed in position, as shown in Fig. 2. The cube is then grasped with the thumb and index finger of the right hand, and is drawn back a distance relative to the desired flight of the boomerang, and is then released and springing forward, strikes the boomerang and propels the same through the air,,t0 a certain point, at which it will turn and fly back to near the point from whence it started.

The dotted lines in Fig. 2, show the position of the boomerang, cube K and wire G, immediately after the release of the striking cube.

Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is

1. In a boomerang thrower or catapult, the combination with a handle, and a holder R, connected with the handle and having a spring adapted to clamp and hold the boomerang; of a spring actuated arm connected with the handle and'disposed in a plane at right anglesthereto; the said arm being provided with a striker adapted to engage the boomerang,substantially as and for the'purpose set forth.

2. In a boomerang thrower or catapult, the combination with a handle, and a spring-actuated throwing arm connected with said handle;f'of ,a device for holding the boomerang in a position to be struck by the spring actuated arm; the said holding device being adjustably connected with the handle so as to permit the boomerang to be placed in various positions with respect to the path traversed by the spring actuated arm, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.

3. In a boomerang thrower or catapult, the combination with a handle, and a device con nected with the handle and adapted to hold the boomerang in a position to be struck; of the wires G, H, connected at their inner ends with the handle, the coiled springs J, formed at the outer ends of the wires G, H, the wires G, 1-1, extending from the coiled springs J, toward the handle and having angular barbs at their inner ends adapted to engage and hold a striking piece, the saidstrikingpiece, and a clamping band embracing the wires G, 1-1, and adapted to slide upon the same, substantially as specified. 7 Y

In testimony whereoflaftix my signature in presence of two witnesses.

JOSHUA B. WEBSTER, JAMES T. SUMMERVILLE
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:47 pm

Well... That just took an unexpected and completely humorous turn
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 25 May 2015, 11:49 pm

There are a heap of patents on ideas (funnily enough, from the US)

Citing Patent

Filing date

Publication date

Applicant

Title

US6416378 Feb 1, 2001 Jul 9, 2002 Rikkie Francis Yurkoski Method of setting a boomerang toy in motion
US6505618 Jun 3, 1999 Jan 14, 2003 David Ben-Hador Boomerang and launcher
US6739993 Nov 27, 2002 May 25, 2004 David Ben-Hador Flying toy
WO1999064118A1 * Jun 3, 1999 Dec 16, 1999 Ben Hador David Boomerang and launcher
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 12:03 am

No way that thing is legal in Australia. ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 12:07 am

brett1868 wrote:The feral kid in Mad Max II had a cool Boomerang and if they made a tacticool version I'd probably buy one :)

Feral? Crap. I thought that was the the way kids were raised, the national sport of boomerang and and grunting ;) I'm having so much of my cultural folklore squashed today! The world was a more interesting place yesterday :(
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 12:18 am

Title_II wrote:
brett1868 wrote:The feral kid in Mad Max II had a cool Boomerang and if they made a tacticool version I'd probably buy one :)

Feral? Crap. I thought that was the the way kids were raised, the national sport of boomerang and and grunting ;) I'm having so much of my cultural folklore squashed today! The world was a more interesting place yesterday :(

Arent you slightly keen to go and look for examples of US designed boomerang catapults ?

That first link has a heap of other links at the bottom you can open. Those designs are over 100 years newer than the top one

Might be more tacticool with 30 boomer mags and semi auto :unknown:

Here we would only be allowed a lever action version :problem:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 12:52 am

None of those even have rails on them. I don't do spray and pray with stuff that comes flying right back at me!

Maybe if Magpul comes out with some furniture for them I will reconsider ;)

Until then, no 30 caliber half second clip mag ghost boomerangs! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmFEv6BHM0
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 May 2015, 1:03 am

What...

Wait...

What...
Huh?

Ghost gun sounds cool. And it must hurt getting hit with a magazine clip. Lucky it doesn't shoot the bullets, just the magazine clips, otherwise it might be dangerous...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 1:37 am

sandgroperbill wrote:What...

Wait...

What...
Huh?

Ghost gun sounds cool. And it must hurt getting hit with a magazine clip. Lucky it doesn't shoot the bullets, just the magazine clips, otherwise it might be dangerous...

It was so entertaining, people started making them in their basements :)

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 1:39 am

Is that one you prepared earlier
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 1:41 am

KWhorenet wrote:Is that one you prepared earlier

Me? I never made my own receiver if you meant the pic. Just pulled off the internet. Receivers are $45 shipped on sale so I just have a box of them in case I ever want to build something.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 1:44 am

Talking about having something shipped....is it a national or state public holiday there now? Are shooting supply stores like Natchez and Sinclair International / Brownells likely to be closed Monday 25th?

Haha this ammo is cheaper than some Hornady 30-06 hunting ammo here
FEDERAL AMMO 50 BMG 660GR. FMJ
305-200-943WS
American Eagle .50 BMG 660gr FMJ 10/Box
$25.99
Last edited by KWhorenet on 26 May 2015, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 26 May 2015, 1:49 am

Likely, but not all. Some places have sales all weekend and stay open. I don't think anything would actually ship today but I don't know about all the carriers.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 May 2015, 2:08 am

As a kid I had a good modern boomerang that was given to me by my grandparents , traditional boomerangs didn't come back to the thrower. They were more like bent clubs fashioned to give them great flight, the bend was usally well off center and they were very big and heavy.

My boomerang was made from plywood and threw realy well, occasionally I would head down to the local park in the leafy suburbs and find a flock of pidgions that had landed and take aim, occasionally I would smack one.
I found the secret was all in the timing, you need to judge how quickly they will take flight and get your height somewhere close to the middle of the flock, getting about 25 to 30 mtrs from them was just about perfect, I would clap my hands once loudly to spook them into the air.

I never got sprung by any of the toffee nosed locals but was always cautious of people and wouldn't aim at a flock when anyone else was there, I'd just throw it and try to catch it again. ...that takes much more practice than hunting birds with it.

My Grandparents had a good collection of propper high quality traditional artifacts, the workmanship had to be seen to be belived, spears made from tree roots with backward facing quill like barbs, razor sharp stone tips all bound with resin and hand made string , woomeras, boomerangs, baskets, stone axes, stone knives and so on. They were given to them by elders of a tribe that originally occupied the areas around Roonka. My Grandmother worked as an anthropologist for the South Australian Musiem and got to know some of the local aborigines of Roonka and the Cooper Basin well.
Shortly before my Grandfather passed away he began to square things up around the place, he made contact with one of the elders, an old lady who had lost all of her relatives and had lost contact with everyone else who had belonged to that area.
He gave the old lady all the artifacts back, she sat cross legged surrounded by all there things crying her eyes out because these thinge were all she had left, he captured a very moving picture of that moment.

It's a shame what has become of these people, we have lost so much of our country's heritage.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 26 May 2015, 2:47 am

i had one as a kid and played with it .
i my self would throw a rock if it got me hunting.
Bow hunting stated with natives it would be fun to play with some of your native hunting i bet they could teach a little about a real boomerange or the atlatl.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 26 May 2015, 2:49 am

Bow hunting stated with natives it would be fun to play with some of your native hunting i bet they could teach a little about a real boomerange or the atlatl.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 26 May 2015, 2:52 am

wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by jake84 » 26 May 2015, 6:57 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Well... That just took an unexpected and completely humorous turn

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 26 May 2015, 2:56 pm

Title_II wrote:It IS Australia, does anybody actually throw these things at animals?

I think I threw one once for a school excursion... And then never saw one ever again.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 27 May 2015, 12:05 am

it was memorial day try today kwhorenet
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 27 May 2015, 12:11 am

Cheers Wrenchman
My emails will be buried in amongst the weekends online activities

Might have to track down my ex GF's brother in law ask him to ring natchez to see if they will order the dies I wanted. They sell them but aren't listing two Cal's I need. Another store I have a cart filled with wants $30 more ea die :thumbsdown:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2015, 9:31 am

I don't think too many Abodiginals use the old ways much anymore, I think most just go to the shops for their tucker now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Elmer » 27 May 2015, 12:33 pm

Nothings f***ing legal in Australia :roll:
Title_II wrote:No way that thing is legal in Australia. ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 27 May 2015, 12:36 pm

Sorry. It was an attempt at gallows humor.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control