Abandoned farm bunnies.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Abandoned farm bunnies.

Post by Elmer » 09 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Tell us a bit about your bunny slayer Sean, what brand rifle, ammo, scope etc.

Hi Scott, the rifle is a sako quad hunter , scope a Leupold VX II 3-9x33 Rimfire EFR and ammo is Remington 40gn JHPs. Its a nice little rifle but the only criticism I have is that its a bit on the light side. I reckon the heavy barrel model would be just right if you do a lot of off hand shooting. I have an early model .22lr sako finnfire (bought it back in 1999) , that rifle is just right , well balanced with enough weight for steady off hand shooting. Many a bunny have felt a Winchester power point to the head at ranges from 25-100yds with that rifle. Even though the new finnfire model looks a lot like my quad I reckon the older one is much better.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

the rifle is a sako quad hunter

If you're interested there's a Sydney dealer in the process of ordering a number of the Lilja drop in barrels for the quad hunter along with a "Special" for me. I doubt you need to improve accuracy any further but thought I'd mention it. P.M me if you need details of the dealer. Lilja barrels hold quite a few world records along with many Olympic gold medals so he knows his $hit :)

http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in-barrels/sako-quad-22-wmr/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by kurl » 10 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

brett1868 wrote:Yep, not surprisingly with probably half its head missing. I'd love to be able to get out and knock a few bunnies over with the 17HMR of an afternoon.

Gotten bored shooting them with the .50BMG? :lol:
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 10 Jun 2015, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the offer Brett, will keep that in mind :)
brett1868 wrote:
the rifle is a sako quad hunter

If you're interested there's a Sydney dealer in the process of ordering a number of the Lilja drop in barrels for the quad hunter along with a "Special" for me. I doubt you need to improve accuracy any further but thought I'd mention it. P.M me if you need details of the dealer. Lilja barrels hold quite a few world records along with many Olympic gold medals so he knows his $hit :)

http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in-barrels/sako-quad-22-wmr/
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 10 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

Yeah mate, muzzle blast got a bit much after a while ;)
kurl wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Yep, not surprisingly with probably half its head missing. I'd love to be able to get out and knock a few bunnies over with the 17HMR of an afternoon.

Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jun 2015, 9:00 pm

kurl wrote:

Could never be bored shooting the 50's, sore, bruised and poor but never bored :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Jun 2015, 12:01 pm

There are some pretty good videos on your channel,might be the longest range bunny busting videos I have seen,well done.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 12 Jun 2015, 9:17 pm

Thanks Baron, yeah, there are some good long range shots on those vids but if you really want to see some looooong range shooting with the .260, check out a bloke on youtube who calls himself .260rips...this guy really knows his s**t,
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Jun 2015, 12:05 am

In your 223 sako long range vid did the eagle take a rabbit you shot or grab it for itself?
Looks like maximum take off weight was exceeded not going to fly.

Nice VW
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JOY » 13 Jun 2015, 8:52 am

Poor little Guys if it wasn't bad enough that they were Abandoned then you came along and shot them?
Go Figure life's like that. :sarcasm:
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 13 Jun 2015, 8:04 pm

JOY wrote:Poor little Guys if it wasn't bad enough that they were Abandoned then you came along and shot them?

Nooo, he didn't

He "sent them to live on another farm" :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Jun 2015, 8:54 pm

I know Joy :cry: , but I have completed my first counselling session :D and am ready to listen to my inner soul. :friends:
JOY wrote:Poor little Guys if it wasn't bad enough that they were Abandoned then you came along and shot them?
Go Figure life's like that. :sarcasm:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

The eagle got that one himself....for some time there has been a pair that just circle the warrens on the thermals and grab any dumb or dozing bunny. 8-)
Baronvonrort wrote:In your 223 sako long range vid did the eagle take a rabbit you shot or grab it for itself?
Looks like maximum take off weight was exceeded not going to fly.

Nice VW
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 4:42 pm

Good shootin' Tex.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant