hunting this weekend

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

hunting this weekend

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 2:30 pm

Hi all :drinks:

I was thinking about taking my brothers .22 (permission has already been obtained lol) this weekend and head out to the state Forrest located adjacent with lerdberg state park.

Exact location would be on the state Forrest side of course where Greendale trentham forest Rd and
obrien rd meet (Blackwood 3458). I'll probably travel near Dale Creek and see what's there.

So main question is can I go shooting around there ? If yes is the shooting around there any good ?
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: hunting this weekend

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm

Hey mate I think the state forest you are talking about is called Wombat State Forest. If this is the case then yes you can shoot in there.. but with a .22 you will be limited to rabbits and foxes but to be honest you will most likely have a very hard time finding them... I went hunting in a state forest for the first time not long ago and didn't come up with anything :/ although you never know what you can find! So good luck and let us know how it goes! I'm also looking for a bunny/fox spot that is not on private property..
Member-Deleted

Post by rsj223 » 26 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

Can get very busy around there, Obrien rd busy down to Obrian crossing as its a 2wd rd down to a camping spot on the river.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 26 Jun 2015, 4:07 pm

even if you dont see anything it will still be good to get out and about :thumbsup: on a side note, you can always practice your off hand, leaning on a tree,down on one knee type shots,its cheap with a .22 :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

As per Tom, it's called hunting not shooting similar to fishing isn't called catching. Even if you see nothing, you'll have a nice walk, get some fresh air and gain some experience. Go for it and enjoy the day, some of us have to mash a keyboard all weekend and are very envious of those who can get outside.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shorti85 » 26 Jun 2015, 7:05 pm

Have fun in wombat. Just be careful, there are a lot of people riding dirt bikes and 4wds through there.
Let us know if you get anything, I wouldn't mind going through there for a hunt one day. I heard there are quite a few goats near trentham end of Wombat
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 8:26 pm

Thanks everyone

Well hopefully I'm able to get out there and I'll be sure to write a report if i get out
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 8:32 pm

just having a look on google maps and seen 'Pyrite State Forest' is also near by.

any thoughts on it?

:drinks: :drinks:
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 26 Jun 2015, 8:49 pm

Good luck....I don't like your chances.
Last edited by North East on 26 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 26 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

joker wrote:just having a look on google maps and seen 'Pyrite State Forest' is also near by.

any thoughts on it?

:drinks: :drinks:

There's not much out there, best to go for a look around if you find a quiet spot set up some targets, I like to find a gully and plink up to the hill (use the hill as a back board)
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 9:09 pm

yeh was thinking of taking one of these as my brother has one and thought it would be a great chance to get some target practice in :D (refer to image)

am i allowed to to set it up and practice on it? i understand what you said by having a hill as a backboard is that all though, any other requirements or precautions

one more question, obviously i have my gun licence but does that permit me to have access to someone else's safe? or is access restricted to only the owner?

:) :)
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

If he gives u the key and provided the firearms are not outside your licence I think should be ok eg u have an ab lic and no c class forearms in the safe, If you get my meaning.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 9:23 pm

yeh we are both A & B licence holders so no problem there
Attachments
1.JPG
by the way thats the target i have
1.JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 26 Jun 2015, 10:08 pm

joker wrote:yeh was thinking of taking one of these as my brother has one and thought it would be a great chance to get some target practice in :D (refer to image)

am i allowed to to set it up and practice on it? i understand what you said by having a hill as a backboard is that all though, any other requirements or precautions

one more question, obviously i have my gun licence but does that permit me to have access to someone else's safe? or is access restricted to only the owner?

:) :)

Yep I got one of them to shoot at to for the .22 and air rifle.
If I go to a place I'm not familiar with I would after finding the spot I want to target practice on would go for a drive around the area and make sure its as safe as possible ie: not heaps of campers just over the hill.
If you want the best place to let off a few hundred rounds is at the range, see how you go I may get down there for another go and show you around, no promise.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by joker » 26 Jun 2015, 10:37 pm

Might try the balloons idea another time bentaz. If I go this time just want to keep it simple.

Well if you do rsj let me know mate

Cheers
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 27 Jun 2015, 12:01 am

I seen a guy at the range with a heap of balloons, me a mate were checking out what he was doing, so he walked out about 20 meters and dropped about 10 balloons tied to a rock or something I thought this would be great out at 100 meters with a .22 so any way ready to shoot again the bloke pulls out a shot gun and blows the lot away with one shot me and mate tried hard to to fall over laughing.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by joker » 27 Jun 2015, 8:19 am

:lol: :lol: maybe the guy was in a rush and didn't have time to shoot one by one lol
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 27 Jun 2015, 8:19 am

:lol: :lol: maybe the guy was in a rush and didn't have time to shoot one by one lol
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 28 Jun 2015, 1:40 pm

OK so pyrite state forest was a massive bust. After arriving there driving for more then thirty minutes I finally see a sign saying "lendberg state park pyrite " something along them lines :@ :@

So we made it to bacchus marsh some how and was wondering if any one knows any were we can go close by for a shoot before we head home.

Thanks people
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2015, 8:12 pm

bentaz wrote:Just have a look on Google maps. It shows all the state Forrest

Aparently not, google indicates pyrites is state forrest. I have seen that before. Google doesnt always get it right
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 28 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

Just make sure you're super safe and follow the Lafos code of conduct ;)
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by joker » 28 Jun 2015, 9:36 pm

i will never look at google the same any more. It feels like when you wife cheats on you and you can never trust it again, the doubt will always be there lol

not familiar with that code of conduct hahah
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 28 Jun 2015, 9:54 pm

yeh i seen that map before bentaz but had trouble navigating through it, still not sure how to
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 28 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm

Thats the one I was trying to find, joker just put your mouse over the place you want to check out and left click
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2015, 8:54 am

I've got one of those spinner targets, they are great fun, I spray the targets with a bit of orange spray paint when they need it, great fun with the 22, I also have flip over targets that reset too, I do the same there too re a quick spray paint when needed to help see em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 29 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

Oldbloke wrote:Aparently not, google indicates pyrites is state forrest. I have seen that before. Google doesnt always get it right

Quite a few bits don't line up properly. I've found the same.

Best to check the Gov provided info like the forestry explorer maps over Google.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by joker » 29 Jun 2015, 10:14 am

Well hopefully I get to try it out soon Scott

Yeh I got to learn how to use them government maps
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shorti85 » 29 Jun 2015, 7:34 pm

Is this where you are talking about?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 5809 times
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

There is that lovy duvy stuff again. Mmmmmmm.

Gents you need to display some manners on a public forum, particualy if you have been rejected in the past.

I you get rejected again it would simply prove your a slow learner. So be nice. Try acting like adults.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jun 2015, 8:54 pm

Shorti85 wrote:Is this where you are talking about?

Spelt this way Pyrite State Forest
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control