Property to hunt on

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Property to hunt on

Post by Shorti85 » 08 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

Hi all, I'm new to hunting and I was wondering if anyone on here has or knows of a property that would allow me to hunt rabbits/foxes on. I live in Werribee Vic, I have a .22 and a 4wd and will take all kills and shells with me and leave no trace that I was even there.
Thanks in advance
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Property to hunt on

Post by North East » 08 Jul 2015, 10:46 pm

If you can't find one just use a local State Forest.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shorti85 » 09 Jul 2015, 6:47 am

North East wrote:If you can't find one just use a local State Forest.

I go into Wombat SF now but it's fairly dense and isn't the easiest to find ferals. I need to start going to another SF
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Jul 2015, 10:45 am

Any success in wombat? And any good spots to start at because I'm going to be heading in for a look sometime soon..
Member-Deleted

Post by Shorti85 » 09 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Any success in wombat? And any good spots to start at because I'm going to be heading in for a look sometime soon..

No success in wombat as yet. I see plenty of bunnies on my way in there all the time but nothing in there as yet. Apparently up daylsford end there are plenty of goats, but I haven't been up that end yet. I'm waiting for a friend to get his gun lisence so we can go for a better look
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

Shorti85 wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:Any success in wombat? And any good spots to start at because I'm going to be heading in for a look sometime soon..

No success in wombat as yet. I see plenty of bunnies on my way in there all the time but nothing in there as yet. Apparently up daylsford end there are plenty of goats, but I haven't been up that end yet. I'm waiting for a friend to get his gun lisence so we can go for a better look

OK fair enough man.. Ill most likely go have a squizz next time the weather is good on the weekend.. BTW I see u have .22 marlin... I was thinking of getting one for my Lil bro but I was unsure after reading mixed reviews.. how do you rate it mate?
Member-Deleted

Post by North East » 09 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

Shorti85 wrote:

I go into Wombat SF now but it's fairly dense and isn't the easiest to find ferals. I need to start going to another SF

If ferals were easy to find they would be shot out of existence by now!

Hunting ain't easy and there are smart animals out there. You just have to persevere. I've gone weeks without taking a shot but you can't shoot one until you are out there looking. :thumbsup:
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shorti85 » 09 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
OK fair enough man.. Ill most likely go have a squizz next time the weather is good on the weekend.. BTW I see u have .22 marlin... I was thinking of getting one for my Lil bro but I was unsure after reading mixed reviews.. how do you rate it mate?

I have no problem with the Marlin. It's my first gun, I've fired about 1000 rounds out of it and I get 1/2 inch groups at 25m with cheap ammo. I don't have the steadiest hands either
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Shorti85 » 09 Jul 2015, 5:42 pm

North East wrote:
Shorti85 wrote:

If ferals were easy to find they would be shot out of existence by now!

Hunting ain't easy and there are smart animals out there. You just have to persevere. I've gone weeks without taking a shot but you can't shoot one until you are out there looking. :thumbsup:

Wombat has a lot of people going through it 4wding, on bikes and hiking. Once my mate gets his license I want to go for hike through there to see what we can find
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 09 Jul 2015, 8:01 pm

take a gps, very handy bit of kit,,easy to get turned around/lost in the thick stuff :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by joker » 09 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm

im looking forward to having a day off and semi decent weather so i can head into Wombat SF. even if i dont find nothing i plan to unleash all available rounds on something lol
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 01 Aug 2015, 12:14 am

Shorti85 wrote:

Was there a few days ago, saw s**t all, except wallabies and wombats. Was on the Gisborne side. Give us a heads up if there is anything on that side.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 01 Aug 2015, 12:21 am

Member-Deleted wrote:
Shorti85 wrote:

Have a .22 Marlin, look there's plenty of slightly better .22's to choose from. Marlins are good because they're cheap I've found. Also the holes the sling studs go into are weak and won't support a bi-pod (they don't tell you that when the sell you the bipod with it :x ) my forend one broke from the weight of the bipod being flicked. Pretty much grinded it down as much as possible then a few mm's away from it I drilled a hole and replaced it with a normal stud. Works all good now and takes a bi-pod. My first .22 was a CZ and my recent .22 purchase was Lithgow Crossover, great guns, great price. If you're really strapped at least spend the extra hundred and fifty - two hundred on a savage.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Arth » 05 Aug 2015, 9:38 am

Marlin had a bad run there for a while with quality control there and lots of people reporting lemons but looks like they're back up to standard now.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control