Another couple of foxes.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Another couple of foxes.

Post by Elmer » 08 Jul 2015, 11:25 pm

Well today was such a nice day I grabbed the Marlin again and headed for another one of my patches.
After settling in I began whistling...within 5 mins this big old Dog fox appeared at 50yds looking straight at me, I placed the duplex on his chest and let loose a power point....at the sound of the impact the fox dropped on the spot with barely a kick.
The next came belting across a field heading straight for me....he came in so fast I could not get a steady hold on him and even at 25yds after yelling "oi" he still didnt stop and almost ended up on my lap, after all the commotion and no more than 10yds away he turned and bolted into the scrub without me getting a shot in. :roll:
The third in a different location came slinking in and stopped just behind a tree only 30yds away, I then gave a couple of very soft whistles and he merged from the tree only to meet a power point to his head to which he dropped without a twitch.
This one was another dog but probably a couple of years younger than the first one and like the first one was in prime condition.
Those little power points certainly do a good job and I would be quite confident in dropping a fox out to 75yds with them. :)
Sean.
38d19c2a-eb73-4c95-bebf-71cb15d2f68f_zpstxnu3req (1).JPG
38d19c2a-eb73-4c95-bebf-71cb15d2f68f_zpstxnu3req (1).JPG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

68380bfa-969f-4b8f-865f-534069caff7c_zpse0wkrbfw.JPG
68380bfa-969f-4b8f-865f-534069caff7c_zpse0wkrbfw.JPG (25.03 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Another couple of foxes.

Post by tom604 » 09 Jul 2015, 5:57 am

two more :thumbsup: your on a roll :clap:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Wobble » 10 Jul 2015, 11:56 am

Two down... Keep going :mrgreen:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Elmer » 10 Jul 2015, 12:15 pm

Thanks Gentlemen....Im starting to feel torn between long range bunny popping and foxing, will have to flip a coin on what to do tomorrow. :unknown: ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Do you have any long range vids of foxes to go with your long range bunnies?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 10 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

Elmer wrote:Thanks Gentlemen....Im starting to feel torn between long range bunny popping and foxing, will have to flip a coin on what to do tomorrow. :unknown: ;)

I'm sure the natives will thank you for dropping the foxes over bunnies.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2015, 7:21 pm

I prefer the 223 for foxes. I dont think the 22lr can be relied on to knock off a fox. But good onya. The natives will love you.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2015, 8:02 pm

I'm becoming more and more envious of you with each post you make. The only feral animals I encounter are project managers and I'm not allowed to shoot them....yet :) I live in the hope it will be legal to hunt the buggers without the need for tags and no bag limit.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 10 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I prefer the 223 for foxes. I dont think the 22lr can be relied on to knock off a fox. But good onya. The natives will love you.

Yes, I have shot several foxes with my .223 at ranges from 300-400yds and they just drop..but for close in work especially in thick mallee scrub, a nice short and light .22 like my little Marlin (which Im having the barrel cut down to 16" to make it even more handier) where the range rarely exceeds 50yds is just the ticket but I would not attempt a shot at a fox beyond 75.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 10 Jul 2015, 11:00 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Elmer wrote:Thanks Gentlemen....Im starting to feel torn between long range bunny popping and foxing, will have to flip a coin on what to do tomorrow. :unknown: ;)

I'm sure the natives will thank you for dropping the foxes over bunnies.

It sure is more satisfying. :)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 10 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'm becoming more and more envious of you with each post you make. The only feral animals I encounter are project managers and I'm not allowed to shoot them....yet :) I live in the hope it will be legal to hunt the buggers without the need for tags and no bag limit.

Perhaps we can have a purge day just like the movie :evil: :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 13 Jul 2015, 10:34 am

Oldbloke wrote:I prefer the 223 for foxes. I dont think the 22lr can be relied on to knock off a fox.

Most annoyingly they're just out of range with the 22lr but could easily be taken with a .223 and you just watch them walk off :problem:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2015, 11:46 am

Bourt wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I prefer the 223 for foxes. I dont think the 22lr can be relied on to knock off a fox.

Most annoyingly they're just out of range with the 22lr but could easily be taken with a .223 and you just watch them walk off :problem:

I suppose it depends on what type of country you shoot in...I mainly hunt foxes in thick mallee bushland where the range rarely exceeds 50yds ....I have on several occasions knocked off foxes with my .223 when long range bunny popping which is only by chance that I see them.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Herdsman » 17 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

Never used a .22lr in thick bush.... Does it handle the bush ok inside 50m or are they easily knocked off line by it?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2015, 11:31 am

Elmer wrote:
Bourt wrote:

I suppose it depends on what type of country you shoot in...I mainly hunt foxes in thick mallee bushland where the range rarely exceeds 50yds ....I have on several occasions knocked off foxes with my .223 when long range bunny popping which is only by chance that I see them.

Horses for courses. 22lr is limited in range and knock down, so for me it is 223 or 12g. Less room for error too with the 22lr, lets face it in field conditions we dont always hit dead on where we aim resulting in poor placement and perhaps a wounded fox. The 223 or say 222 helps to compensate for that. Placement is always the priority though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lole » 20 Jul 2015, 11:35 am

Herdsman wrote:Never used a .22lr in thick bush.... Does it handle the bush ok inside 50m or are they easily knocked off line by it?

It's pretty ordinary going through much bush.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control