Why are Wallabies legal in Tassie?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Why are Wallabies legal in Tassie?

Post by WildHunter » 26 Jul 2015, 9:49 pm

Call me a DC, but I'm curious as to why wallabies are legal in Tasmania? I'd assume maybe it's land mass versus population, but then why not roo's?
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Why are Wallabies legal in Tassie?

Post by Gwion » 26 Jul 2015, 9:52 pm

Population density. Simple as that.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 26 Jul 2015, 9:56 pm

They aren't legal as best I kow... They are imports.

I think you mean "legal" to shoot/cull.

So,'ll take a guess... They are not a "Native" to Tasmania so they are just like a rabbit or fox anywhere else....Vermin....

Shoot on sight...

Wow... I think I might buy a "Tacticool" rifle so I can go kill vermin.... :D :D :D :D Bloody Kid's..... :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm

They are indigenous to Tas. It's a simple population density issue.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by pajamatime » 26 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm

Apollo wrote:They aren't legal as best I kow... They are imports.

I think you mean "legal" to shoot/cull.

So,'ll take a guess... They are not a "Native" to Tasmania so they are just like a rabbit or fox anywhere else....Vermin....

Shoot on sight...

Wow... I think I might buy a "Tacticool" rifle so I can go kill vermin.... :D :D :D :D Bloody Kid's..... :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

what was that? hang on let my turn my hearing aid up. :sarcasm:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Jul 2015, 10:44 pm

WildHunter wrote:Call me a DC, but I'm curious as to why wallabies are legal in Tasmania? I'd assume maybe it's land mass versus population, but then why not roo's?

If you mean the Forester Kangaroo in Tas, it was all but wiped out and is now managed closely. Permit and tag system for limited conservation and agriculture culling. They would still be copping a flogging by crop farmers.

Has a cool name too:
Macropus giganteus tasmaniensis
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WildHunter » 26 Jul 2015, 11:37 pm

Well by chance I came across this in the SSAA's Guide to Shooting and Hunting not long after posting.
Tasmania Hunting Licences:
Game: Annual Fee:
Wallaby, $29.20
(It went on to list other game in Tas, but irrelevant to post)
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 26 Jul 2015, 11:59 pm

Yes. You need a game licence to handle wallaby or any other listed game inTas. Even if you pick up a road kill possum for the pelt to tie flies out of, you should technically have a game licence.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 27 Jul 2015, 4:07 am

XP22 wrote: As for the rest of your post it makes you sound like a twit.

Why is it you keep following me and put in your stupid posts, another guess....EX Forum member reborn with a grudge...!!!! That's turned up just recently...????

Maybe just a Wombat..... Eats, Roots & Leaves......
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jul 2015, 6:28 am

Might be another one the mods need to look at. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 8:44 am

You have to admit it was a pretty ridiculous post, totally lacking knowledge on the subject.

Taking a swipe at people with purpose built rifles on a subject that you have no idea about is wrong, fwiw I use an FVSR as a spotlighting rifle as I need to mount an illuminator, night sight and torch. The 16.5" barrel length is ideal for getting in and out of the vehicle and shooting from the window and it was as cheap as chips.

I shoot wallaby regularly in Tasmania both in the bush with a shotgun over hunting dogs and of a night off a spotlight off multiple cull permits so I can say with some authority that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

To answer the original question from the originating poster: Wallaby exist in huge numbers in this state(I shoot around 100 most weeks), mainly because they are capable of breeding to suit available food sources. White man has cleared land and provided a ready food source, the loss of the Tasmanian Tiger is also thought to be a contributor to the numbers of wallaby present nowadays..

Where there is insufficient food in an area they will become susceptible to disease and readily die off as was witnessed down the East Coast a few years ago during the "drought" we had but for the most part the state is a smorgasboard for them.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 9:08 am

Gwion wrote:Yes. You need a game licence to handle wallaby or any other listed game inTas. Even if you pick up a road kill possum for the pelt to tie flies out of, you should technically have a game licence.

In actual fact you aren't allowed to use products from protected species, there is no game licence for brush tailed possum only a crop protection permit and associated commercial harvesters licence which allows you to sell to a registered dealer.

Even though wallaby aren't protected as such you still need a commercial licence for anything other than personal use.

Whilst I don't think you are going to get pinned for tying flies off roadkill just make sure it is a brushy as I know of three people that were prosecuted successfully for tying flies off a ring tail possum.

Same goes for selling trophies, deer heads are not allowed to be sold and there have been successful prosecutions in the past, and to be fair they offended only through ignorance.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 9:16 am

KWhorenet wrote:
WildHunter wrote:Call me a DC, but I'm curious as to why wallabies are legal in Tasmania? I'd assume maybe it's land mass versus population, but then why not roo's?

If you mean the Forester Kangaroo in Tas, it was all but wiped out and is now managed closely. Permit and tag system for limited conservation and agriculture culling. They would still be copping a flogging by crop farmers.

Has a cool name too:
Macropus giganteus tasmaniensis

I get around 40 tags a year for our deer property down the guts, three of us shoot them over a weekend. Plenty about but they are easily dropped as they prefer open ground, which combined with the fact they are the best shoe leather around caused their almost demise many years ago.

They generally aren't as big as your roo on the mainland.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 9:59 am

bentaz wrote:Are they good eating?

People rave on about it but I prefer beef or lamb. I ate too much of it as a kid.

The dogs belonging to my neighbours and family eat very well though.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2015, 12:47 pm

XP22 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Yes. You need a game licence to handle wallaby or any other listed game inTas. Even if you pick up a road kill possum for the pelt to tie flies out of, you should technically have a game licence.

In actual fact you aren't allowed to use products from protected species, there is no game licence for brush tailed possum only a crop protection permit and associated commercial harvesters licence which allows you to sell to a registered dealer.

Even though wallaby aren't protected as such you still need a commercial licence for anything other than personal use.

Whilst I don't think you are going to get pinned for tying flies off roadkill just make sure it is a brushy as I know of three people that were prosecuted successfully for tying flies off a ring tail possum.

Same goes for selling trophies, deer heads are not allowed to be sold and there have been successful prosecutions in the past, and to be fair they offended only through ignorance.

This was just an example of the stringent licensing requirements for handling native fauna. I only use brushies (one will last decades) to tie on type of fly for personal use. I am aware of commercial licensing requirements. I only shoot under Crop Protection Permits in place on my block and neighbouring blocks.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by KWhorenet » 27 Jul 2015, 10:35 pm

Spent most of my shooting time in the Derwent valley day and or night either protecting crops, harvesting winter possum skins, popping crows who would peck the eyes out of cast ewes and lambs during birth at dawn, and roaming town pet dogs who'd follow the pack leader to our merino flock.

Don't recall ever seeing Foresters when up the Midlands, Ouse, Ross, Bothwell etc, not that I ever spotlighted in these areas. They were like some mythical giant I'd hear about as a kid.

I don't go a day living here in Vic without seeing their Eastern Grey (99% DNA) cousins screwing my fences and swarming neighboring crops.

Before I spend any decent coin on sewing my own crops I have to get decent ground level hot wires and a permit of my own.

They are the one reason I haven't bothered improving pasture in my back paddocks. Would be a total waste of time and coin.

On the topic of Tas and wallaby infestation, dad and I used to help an old farmer out with his wallaby plagues. He was at his witts end and stock were starving. Hot wires cost a fortune to be effective on wallaby and to maintain. So with my pet food business and capitalist ideas I made $1.50/kg cleaned carcass weight and had an endless supply.

Was one rich and trigger happy 13 year old.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Rocker » 28 Jul 2015, 3:01 pm

I guess it's like Roo?

And that's pretty good IMO.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 28 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm

Rocker wrote:

I guess it's like Roo?

And that's pretty good IMO.

They can be tasty.. depends how they are prepared, how they are cooked, etc. Like anything, the big boys aren't the nicest. I only eat them occasionally and then only the girls or small males.

Strangely enough, it's not really that similar to roo. Hard to explain.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WildHunter » 31 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm

Call me a DC again but I've what is tying flies?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 31 Jul 2015, 11:14 pm

Ohh tying flies for fly fishing and using the tail. That went straight through my.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2015, 11:16 am

:clap: :friends:

Haha... Yeah, tying flies to catch trout. There is a classic Tassy lake fly called 'possum emerger'. Never used it until I moved down here. It's quite effective in the right conditions.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm

Wallabies here in Tasmania are just about everywhere. You can't go driving on public roads and not find a poor one that got hit by a passing ute or see them flop through the forests here. I'd say its good that its legal to hunt wallaby, because the numbers are increasing and its looking like there's more pademelons than people :lol:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Seconds » 04 Aug 2015, 3:08 pm

Better a bullet than getting half crushed by a bumper and going out over hours of being left on the road :thumbsdown:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 04 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm

Seconds wrote:Better a bullet than getting half crushed by a bumper and going out over hours of being left on the road :thumbsdown:

True indeed. I hate seeing them like that, and worse off when they're poised by farmers and such because they don't want to go through the trouble acquiring a firearm. Absolutely disgraceful :thumbsdown:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by WildHunter » 04 Aug 2015, 11:31 pm

Heckler303 love your signature and picture :P

Interesting, might take a trip there soon then. $29.30 sounds like a fine deal
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 10:27 am

WildHunter wrote:Heckler303 love your signature and picture :P

Interesting, might take a trip there soon then. $29.30 sounds like a fine deal

Thanks Wildhunter. I'm probably the only one in my grade here that has actually seen breaker morant :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by WildHunter » 05 Aug 2015, 10:46 am

Grade?
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 05 Aug 2015, 11:19 am

WildHunter wrote:Grade?

lol, school-grade.

Or age grade. Being 16, I'm in grade 10. :lol:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by WildHunter » 05 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

A youngin, still in school! Are you from the country? Rare to find a city kid who shoots. I was in year 8 when I started shooting, coming from the city it was good bragging rights
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 05 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

Unless you're from Tassie, then well yeah nearly everyone has a farm :P
WildHunter
Private
Private