Minimum calibre for European Hares

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Minimum calibre for European Hares

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

Evening gents,

Took a trip into one of the state forests Western Vic has to offer today. Went on my own through the forest on foot (I like it that way, it's awesome to escape society for a short while and only hearing the immediate environment) looking for any pests to be rid of, primarily - actively looking for rabbits and hares. Ended up coming across 3 hares during the day (who knows how many I actually walked past that didn't decide to run for it), the second I was not prepared for at all and he got off scott free, the third I was prep'd for but the bugger ran behind some thick bushes so never really got a clear shot. But the first one I did have some clear shots and ended up getting 4 shots off at him before he got out of my sight :oops: .
Now as he got out of my sight I am led to believe that I didn't get a hit on him but I was almost certain my second shot got a hit but I couldn't tell.
So now I am wondering if I did actually get a shot on him... which leads me to the question, what would you guys use as a minimum round for shooting European Hares?
(I was using CCI subsonic rounds with my Savage Mark ii FV-SR)
Last edited by YoungBuck on 17 Aug 2015, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Minumum calibre for European Hares

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

A quick look on the SSAA website mentions that .22LR is good for hares, this means I likely missed all my shots :thumbsdown:
http://ssaa.org.au/stories/rifles-selec ... dBt_PTcDMU

To be fair it was the first live and moving target I'd come up against since getting into shooting. Will have to wait another day for the cherry pop :lol:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2015, 9:20 pm

The humble 22LR should be OK but I wouldn't use subsonic ammo. Try high velocity or hyper velocity hollow points.
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 16 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Evening gents,

Took a trip into one of the state forests Western Vic has to offer today. Went on my own through the forest on foot (I like it that way, it's awesome to escape society for a short while and only hearing the immediate environment) looking for any pests to be rid of, primarily - actively looking for rabbits and hares. Ended up coming across 3 hares during the day (who knows how many I actually walked past that didn't decide to run for it), the second I was not prepared for at all and he got off scott free, the third I was prep'd for but the bugger ran behind some thick bushes so never really got a clear shot. But the first one I did have some clear shots and ended up getting 4 shots off at him before he got out of my sight :oops: .
Now as he got out of my sight I am led to believe that I didn't get a hit on him but I was almost certain my second shot got a hit but I couldn't tell.
So now I am wondering if I did actually get a shot on him... which leads me to the question, what would you guys use as a minimum round for shooting European Hares?
(I was using CCI subsonic rounds with my Savage Mark ii FV-SR)
22lr high velocity hollow point more then enough. Beauty of a calibre. ^_^
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Aug 2015, 10:05 pm

Yup. High velocity hollows would be my suddestion too. Or 12 gauge with buckshot
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by David Brown » 16 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

You should see what a 223 does……;-) Kills guts and opens them up. Hate to think what the 30-06 would do! Bunny vapour?

First of all make sure your sights/scope are sighted well for the distance for the ammo you intend to use. I have had subsonic work, but the harder you hit the better.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 16 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

We shot a couple last night for dog food, both through the head with a .243 which is way too much for these things but it's what we had. If you're wanting the meat then 22LR is perfect as anything bigger may explode them if not a head shot. I even took one as a young fella with a .177 air rifle from close range with a shot to the head. We tend to leave the hares alone up here and just take a few now and then to feed the dogs, sort of a sustainable source of dog food.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Aug 2015, 10:21 pm

DVC01235.JPG
DVC01235.JPG (424.51 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

22/250 does a good job on big bunnies when you just crease the top of the skull,,, no reason not to do the same on hares.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 16 Aug 2015, 10:33 pm

Nice shot, 22-250 has to be my favorite round for bunnies both small and giant. Left it home this trip and mainly shooting the giant bunnies with the .257 Weatherby, got 23 last night at anything from 150 to 350m. Bastards are everywhere up here at the moment as the mine has driven them from the forest and the wheat crops about knee high so plenty food around. Got 3 more this afternoon from 500-550m with the .375 Cheytac shooting prone from the back of the commodore. Even pigs have been coming down onto the farm but have only seen tracks so far, might go look for them tomorrow afternoon along the creek bed.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the input fellas, I have high velocity hollow rounds and will definitely be using those next time (RWS High Velocity).

I checked the zero of the scope when I got to a relatives property later that day and it was pretty close - about half an inch off from the mark @ 30 meters. Certainly not enough to excuse me missing all my shots.

Hunting them for recreation, gets me out of the house and actually doing something on the weekends. If anyone is really keen for any I shoot for dog food, PM me and we might be able to sort something out, I am in the Melton area.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm

Min would be a .177 air rifle - well it was in my day chasing hares and rabbits. :D Now you probably need a 460wm to get the job done according to some experts. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 16 Aug 2015, 10:49 pm

RWS HV HP are the best I've found for my PWS Summit 22, consistent 2" groups at 100m which is more then fine for bunnies. They can be hard to find at times so I generally buy a couple of bricks when I see them.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 16 Aug 2015, 11:11 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Thanks for the input fellas, I have high velocity hollow rounds and will definitely be using those next time (RWS High Velocity).

I checked the zero of the scope when I got to a relatives property later that day and it was pretty close - about half an inch off from the mark @ 30 meters. Certainly not enough to excuse me missing all my shots.

Hunting them for recreation, gets me out of the house and actually doing something on the weekends. If anyone is really keen for any I shoot for dog food, PM me and we might be able to sort something out, I am in the Melton area.

How do your dogs like their bunnies? =]
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Aug 2015, 11:54 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Certainly not enough to excuse me missing all my shots.

Anyome with adog they need to put on a diet? :sarcasm:

Just kidding mate :thumbsup:

Edit: space key went MIA
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by David Brown » 17 Aug 2015, 8:44 am

YoungBuck wrote:Thanks for the input fellas, I have high velocity hollow rounds and will definitely be using those next time (RWS High Velocity).

Half an inch at 30 yards is fine if you get a good group at that offset, provided you do the maths!!! What do you do when the bunny is at 120m which is not unusual in my experience. You have to aim about 2" above his earhole to ensure the projectile gets the spot, and that is just the scope error and not allowing for projectile trajectory.

Now we are not trying to split atoms here, just hairs…. (hehehhe my gags are so funny) so my theory is find the ammo that works, then get zero'd in at 100m that way the ballistics on a typical shot are the only errors, and they will be minor in the +/- 50m range which covers about all the bunny ranges you are likely to use. Unless you like sniping them at 500m :lol:

Just my thoughts. All the best.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Aug 2015, 9:22 am

Hints of the old shooting forum..... minimum calibre for hares :lol:

definitely need 'enoughgun' for a hare, they can grow quite large in some parts... :sarcasm:

twelve
gauge

is the go to...I'd say that 100% of the 'European' descendants* I know that shoot hares use a shotty.
*99% of Anglo descendants I know turn their noses up at either shooting or eating hare or rabbit.
For the record shooting hares in this respect is a purely cultural exercise, brought here from Europe.. mention this cultural link to the tards/haters and all you get is fits of derision...... @#$% I hate that, but the mainstream society must accept their crap... bit OT apols.........

22rimfire if you like, centrefire 22 if you like... even a 30 cal, or a BMG if you're honing your long range shooting skills, you know, out past 200metres.. :friends: end of the day you can shoot them with anything you like, but 12g is what you 'need'...

#6 maybe bit bigger, bit smaller; But buckshot?? Oh hang on the males are bucks afterall....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Aug 2015, 11:18 am

David Brown wrote:Half an inch at 30 yards is fine if you get a good group at that offset, provided you do the maths!!! What do you do when the bunny is at 120m which is not unusual in my experience. You have to aim about 2" above his earhole to ensure the projectile gets the spot, and that is just the scope error and not allowing for projectile trajectory.

Now we are not trying to split atoms here, just hairs…. (hehehhe my gags are so funny) so my theory is find the ammo that works, then get zero'd in at 100m that way the ballistics on a typical shot are the only errors, and they will be minor in the +/- 50m range which covers about all the bunny ranges you are likely to use. Unless you like sniping them at 500m :lol:

Just my thoughts. All the best.

The 100m zero is a good idea and I will likely use that in future in more open environments, but the reason I had it zeroed in at 30m was due to the close proximity of the targets in the forest. The hares hide form you and only p!ss bolt when you get just a little too close for comfort for them and by the time you turn and get your him in your scope they are about 15m away with that distance rapidly increasing. Once they get past about 40m you have lost your clear shot (too many trees/ shrubs/bushes/foliage etc.)

And yea I know a shotgun would definitely be the best pick for this case, but I am just not a shotgun fan!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Minimum calibre for European Hares

Post by David Brown » 17 Aug 2015, 2:50 pm

At that range I think you need open sights or a 1x power red dot and have both eyes open.

Redfield have a great one with a laser as well. Its called the counterstrike https://www.redfield.com/index.php/counterstrike/

Scopes are not useful at 15m if they are moving. I never see bunnies that close, add another 100 in an open field. Or maybe I am hopeless ;-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2015, 6:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:Nice shot, 22-250 has to be my favorite round for bunnies both small and giant. Left it home this trip and mainly shooting the giant bunnies with the .257 Weatherby, got 23 last night at anything from 150 to 350m. Bastards are everywhere up here at the moment as the mine has driven them from the forest and the wheat crops about knee high so plenty food around. Got 3 more this afternoon from 500-550m with the .375 Cheytac shooting prone from the back of the commodore. Even pigs have been coming down onto the farm but have only seen tracks so far, might go look for them tomorrow afternoon along the creek bed.

:shock: :shock: I'd hate to imagine what it would be like (shooting that from inside the wagon,,, if you weren't wearing ear protection)

Wouldn't be surprised if your stereo speakers start collapsing. :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Aug 2015, 6:55 pm

Hey mate just wondering which state forest out west were you in? I went to mount cole SF earlier thi year (camping with friends, no hunting) and seemed like there was sign of animals while hiking. Also heard pyreneese state forest out west is good aswell...
Member-Deleted

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

brett1868 wrote:Bastards are everywhere up here at the moment as the mine has driven them from the forest and the wheat crops about knee high so plenty food around.

They're getting really high in numbers around here atm, too. Plenty of rain and large areas have been burned off producing a lot of new growth, and they seem to have bred like mad.

I'm hoping one of the local farmers gets a permit for them soon so I can go bag a few. They're all over the roads and their numbers keep rising, so I'm pretty sure the time is about right for a shoot.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 18 Aug 2015, 10:04 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Hey mate just wondering which state forest out west were you in?

Was in Waterloo SF. Also in the Pyrenees shire.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Broom » 19 Aug 2015, 10:24 am

Die Judicii wrote: :shock: :shock: I'd hate to imagine what it would be like (shooting that from inside the wagon,,, if you weren't wearing ear protection)

I supposed you'd only have to fire once then your hearing wouldn't be a concern...... ever again :lol:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control