Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Feb 2019, 10:42 am

While calling feral dogs, it's surprising the number of crows that come to the calls. The crows usually will perch in a tree close to the call, I like having them around and usually any distress call works.
Have you tried putting out a bit of roadkill?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 18 Feb 2019, 12:38 pm

If you look closely theres a roo carcass out there....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Feb 2019, 10:22 pm

Looks like fun bigpete... :clap:

Did the lad crack any crows...?...& did you get the fox...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Feb 2019, 7:07 am

No he didn't as they all were too high for him to use his 22. The fox copped a load of 6s at 50m which did nothing
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AJB » 24 Feb 2019, 11:31 am

:violin: :violin:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-02-24-08-12-11.png
Screenshot_2019-02-24-08-12-11.png (426.04 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 24 Mar 2019, 7:18 pm

Probably doesn’t belong in this thread but I had a top weekend on the tumut river and managed to “hunt” myself a dozen nice trout and some fine local brew
FA541CE9-BA0C-4554-A7F1-5C300738B1B1.jpeg
FA541CE9-BA0C-4554-A7F1-5C300738B1B1.jpeg (664.71 KiB) Viewed 5927 times

Released all but this bloke who was simply pan fried with butter and salt 8-)
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 25 Mar 2019, 1:17 am

Ducked out tonight to check out a new shooting property, with a plan to pick off a few foxes

Anyway we get out there and bloody fallow deer everywhere, could have picked off which ever one I liked but the new change of now being allowed to shoot them under a spotlight just doesn’t feel right, so instead I spent about 10 mins checking out the different groups scattered over the hills and gullies through the scope and just watching them... tried to get some pics with my phone through the scope but that was a dead loss

There was 2 foxes sitting amongst them but I chose to leave them and not stir the deer up in case I want to come back during the day some time, ended up heading down the other end of the property and pick off 3 foxes
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Mar 2019, 9:07 am

Hey AJB, you're allowed to take the shop stickers off the rifle after you buy it mate. ;)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 27 Mar 2019, 6:50 am

Couple of critters from last year.

https://youtu.be/kQrUnrW4t94
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 27 Mar 2019, 6:55 am

Couple of critters this month
https://youtu.be/5RP51xzCNZs
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 27 Mar 2019, 6:56 am

Couple of critters last month

https://youtu.be/TbGEqhrf1aw
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by AJB » 21 Apr 2019, 12:04 am

Hey game ranch the stickers were stuck on tight mate so they will Wear of sooner or later does it really matter still shoots the same
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2019, 6:38 am

Got out last night doing a bit of culling work and came across a mob of pigs. Managed to roll this one with the 222 Howa. Seen quite a few rabbits running around which was great to see and will get out and get a feed of those in the near future too I think.

There was a nice big boar in the mob of about 10 pigs but I just couldn't get a shot I would have been happy taking with the little 222 (mostly arse end shot was about it) so wasn't prepared to wound it for the sake of having a go at it so to speak so let it be and got one of the younger ones instead. I think the shot was only around 150m at most so not a hard one to make, bloody things were swarming around each other like a school of catfish LOL anyway that one was a bang flop and is now tucker for some of the farm animals.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Apr 2019, 8:18 am

Just got a new laptop and seeing if I remember to put pics to forum dog I got couple weeks ago :thumbsup:
Attachments
Pic_0409_096.jpg
Pic_0409_096.jpg (147.62 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Apr 2019, 8:19 am

Yeh it did gee i'm one smart little cooky heh
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2019, 8:24 am

Yeh it did gee i'm one smart little cooky heh

:lol: congrats on the dingo and working out how to post pic GDB :D Theres a few getting around on the property I was on last night but none seen (dingos and wild dogs have been giving the farmers down that way a hard time for quite a while apparently, they've had professional trappers down there trying to get it back under control and I think they have had some success but still a long way to go. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2019, 8:50 am

nice little pig bigfella
good to see your getting out and about :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

marksman wrote:nice little pig bigfella
good to see your getting out and about :drinks:

Yeah been a while, just really haven't had much interest in shooting much to be honest. Maybe this will spark my interest in hunting again, who knows? :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by booomr » 21 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

Got this goat this morning. Some people I was camped with took a wrong turn at 7am yesterday morning, stumbled across a flock of feral goats. Spent 10 hours walking up and down hills, through scrub and all over the place looking for them.

Thought I'd give it one more shot when I was driving home, and there they were! Missed the big one, though :(
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2019, 9:04 pm

it is always good to have another crack, one more shot at it worked out
nice goat booomr
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 6:31 am

Nice one boomer, what cal did you use to roll it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by booomr » 22 Apr 2019, 11:35 am

My trusty .223 Howa with 62gr Armscor soft points. Neck shot dropped it instantly.

Although it was incredibly close to death, it was still gasping for air, so I gave it one more to end it quickly. I don't like suffering (perhaps I'm just a whimp lol).
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 2:47 pm

Nah Booomr not a whimp just a considerate person I to don't like animals suffering for no reason and good shooting mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 2:56 pm

Yeah Bigfellascott those dogs you were talking about back a bit mate they will only get thicker if not confronted some hunters think that you can just go out and shoot or trap dogs day after day but the truth is every time you have an encounter with a pack it gets harder to sight them making it almost impossible to get a kill they wise up to things like a human to the stage even trapping them gets difficult even those seasoned trappers and hunters that have hunted dogs for years most likely will tell you they learn something from the dogs every day so just goes to show how adaptable a dog can be
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 22 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm

The dogs eluded me last night and this morning. At about 8 pm last night I had a predator call and my thermal scope The only thing that came to the call was a curious roo. Not exactly what I was hoping for. So Easter is done and it’s back to work for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Apr 2019, 6:46 pm

Spent the weekend out with my friend. She shot a s**t load of bunnies,and a crow,and I dropped a fallow spiker under the light for the freezer. Great weekend
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 22 Apr 2019, 7:17 pm

Nice bigpete, another session with the T1X getting it sighted in and zeroed in nicer conditions I'm keen to have a crack on some bunnies!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

My son and son inlaw went crabbing and got 5 big mud crabs and this is what is left ''SHELLS'' nice feed :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
Attachments
Pic_0422_097.jpg
Pic_0422_097.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

My son and son inlaw went crabbing and got 5 big mud crabs and this is what is left ''SHELLS'' nice feed :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:

I love Chilli Mudcrabs myself - nice looking feed you have there GDB :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 9:54 pm

booomr wrote:My trusty .223 Howa with 62gr Armscor soft points. Neck shot dropped it instantly.

Although it was incredibly close to death, it was still gasping for air, so I gave it one more to end it quickly. I don't like suffering (perhaps I'm just a whimp lol).

Nice job mate, I like the small cals myself, they just get the job done without too much fuss and noise etc. I love my Howa's too, they just work and shoot great, it's not too often I miss when using em I can tell ya. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control