Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by tom604 » 23 Aug 2015, 9:15 am

i think you protest too much :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Aug 2015, 10:33 am

New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Title_II » 23 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for posting mate, well done on removing another feral cat from our bushland, I'm sure the lizards and birds etc will be a lot better off for doing so.

That feel when that cat closely resembles your cat.

*checks again to make sure he's still laying on the bed and not of laying in the dirt*

Phew.

I don't have a cat and never will have a cat - most useless bloody pet on the planet as far as I'm concerned - make great paddock pizza though :lol:

Try a goldfish :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 1:30 pm

Title_II wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for posting mate, well done on removing another feral cat from our bushland, I'm sure the lizards and birds etc will be a lot better off for doing so.

That feel when that cat closely resembles your cat.

*checks again to make sure he's still laying on the bed and not of laying in the dirt*

Phew.

I don't have a cat and never will have a cat - most useless bloody pet on the planet as far as I'm concerned - make great paddock pizza though :lol:

Try a goldfish :)

Goldfish are great, the Barra love eating them! :lol: :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Aug 2015, 10:03 pm

Found em hey? Got your wallet back yet?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.

Ol Duck hunting mate :lol: that was one hell of a turn of events for sure, glad it all worked out well in the end. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2015, 10:06 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Bagged me two specimens today. Knocked on their door and they invited me in for coffee and biscuits. PI work done and found sign all along the trail :D was a fun hunt.

Ol Duck hunting mate :lol: that was one hell of a turn of events for sure, glad it all worked out well in the end. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm

Well done mate tell us a bit about you gear
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 7:25 pm

bentaz wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:

Do I need to get a game licence or can I just pop on down and cull a few? :lol:

Speaking as a 70 year old myself, and a shooter, you just may want to think twice about the "cull a few" remark. I still know how to return fire, and that was a pretty stupid thing to put on a public forum.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 7:29 pm

bentaz wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:New target species here are 70 something Grey bearded 'snakes in the grass' with disabled stickers on windscreens... :lol:

Speaking as a 70 year old myself, and a shooter, you just may want to think twice about the "cull a few" remark. I still know how to return fire, and that was a pretty stupid thing to put on a public forum. Scott, here's what 70 years can still get up mate.
JD
Attachments
P1010231.JPG
P1010231.JPG (213.2 KiB) Viewed 8891 times
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

The Buff was shot with my 308 using 165gn Barnes MRX. The bullet was recovered from under the skin on the far side and weighed 144.1gn. Fair enough on the comment mate, but I'm not sure "culling a few" is appropriate given the Greens attitude. My point being that they will take anything they can out of context. By the way, the Buff was shot about an hour from where I live in Northern NSW. A local farmer thought he would try farming them and one way or another they went feral. Every so often a few of us go out and "cull a few."
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 24 Aug 2015, 9:18 pm

Nice buff! Wow!

I had to look up what a Sambar was. Wow, those things are like our larger elk (except a lot uglier).
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 9:36 pm

bentaz wrote:It's a Winchester 37a, it's got a serial number so it's a post 1968 model. I picked it up on the weekend for $50 coz it was missing the fore end.
I have a soft spot for these winny and cooey singles so I already had a forend I'd picked up at a show, it's off an 840 but the checkering is the only difference.
A good friend of mine, an elderly lady from my RSL has 100 acres just up the road, it was her father's soldier settlement block and she keeps it for the sentimental value and only runs about 20 sheep up there, just enough wool to pay the rates, when I started going up there a couple of years ago there where thousands of rabbits and God knows how many foxes and myself and my brother have been slowly clearing them out.
I used to go up with a shotty and get a dozen in no time but now there are only smart and weary ones left, same with the foxes used to just walk around and bump into them an bam.
I usually load with no. 2s coz it'll knock over a fox but not destroy the bunnies which I slow cook sometimes but mostly just feed to my pig atm.
I'm mostly a shotgun kind of a guy but I've got a 222 coming so I can start sniping up there coz everything's sort of worked out the shotgun range.
Anyway that's about the size of it :drinks:

That's a lovely little rifle mate and thanks for sharing the story, I enjoy reading other peoples adventures and that little property sure has supplied you with some good memories by the sounds of it, the simple things in life are often the most pleasureable.

Keep em coming. :thumbsup: I might even try and get out after some bunnies and foxes once this rain buggers off! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 9:38 pm

headspace wrote:
bentaz wrote:

Speaking as a 70 year old myself, and a shooter, you just may want to think twice about the "cull a few" remark. I still know how to return fire, and that was a pretty stupid thing to put on a public forum. Scott, here's what 70 years can still get up mate.
JD

Lovely JD, what's the story behind it mate, also tell us a bit about your outfit you used to roll it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm

bentaz wrote:Ease up turbo it's just a harmless joke and no stupider than "returning fire" comments :thumbsup:
Nice buff though :drinks:

Yes I took it as a joke too, no harm in it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2015, 10:12 pm

bentaz wrote:Took the new old shotties out for a stroll this arvo and got these guys. got another but he did a happy dance back in under the gorse bushes, I guess he must of been camera shy :unknown:

Good buy for $50 :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 10:55 pm

headspace wrote:The Buff was shot with my 308 using 165gn Barnes MRX. The bullet was recovered from under the skin on the far side and weighed 144.1gn. Fair enough on the comment mate, but I'm not sure "culling a few" is appropriate given the Greens attitude. My point being that they will take anything they can out of context. By the way, the Buff was shot about an hour from where I live in Northern NSW. A local farmer thought he would try farming them and one way or another they went feral. Every so often a few of us go out and "cull a few."
JD

The mighty 308 strikes again, seems to be a underated cal these days going by some comments I see about it. Me I'd happily own and use one and to be honest I'd rather the "Common Cals" cos you can get reloading components for em easy enough.

And don't worry about the Greens and Anti's they will twist stuff to suit whether we say something off the cuff or not, you know what they are like, they just make stuff up to suit their agenda's. :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 24 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm

How much stuff do you guys kill each year? It seems there is a LOT more hunting down under due to all your feral and intrusive species problems. I would think most of you never have to buy meat. Hey, a deer or two will fill a freezer good, and some birds or bunnies can break up the monotony a bit. But it sounds like you guys are taking a lot more than that, and leaving stuff we would eat in the US. BTW, none of that is meant to be critical. It just seems like you have a lot of opportunities. Are there long hunting seasons for most game?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm

I don't shoot as much as I used to but still manage to get out every now and then, mostly foxes and bunnies for me these days (too broken to be chasing deer, pigs etc) these days.

I occasionally eat some rabbit but most are turned into paddock pizza for the raptors etc to eat. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 25 Aug 2015, 8:18 am

Title, most of us take some meat, even the trophy hunters, but not too many eat wild pigs. A lot of them are full of worms, but if you get a couple suckers you can pen 'em up and feed them on grain. Just don't give them names. We have about 5-6 varieties of deer, no Whitetails though. Most of the deer were introduced many years back by a group called the Acclimatisation Society. Others may be escapees from deer farms. There's plenty of feral goats around too. I got a couple a few weeks back and took the back legs off one, the other was used as pig bait.
Scott, That Buff was in open country and was shot at a range of about 50 yards. Before that myself and a couple of others hunted them in thick scrub a dog couldn't bark in. I shot one there at range measured more in feet than yards. Another heart lung shot and it dropped like a stone. 308 again but loaded with a Hornady Interlock 165gn. I'm selling the 308 actually it has to make way for a 9.3x62 I've bought.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Aug 2015, 10:33 am

You can't eat feral hogs? That sucks :(

We have them here. In some places people just have to exterminate them but the meat is fine.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Aug 2015, 10:39 am

Title_II wrote:You can't eat feral hogs? That sucks :(

We have them here. In some places people just have to exterminate them but the meat is fine.

Yeah you can eat them - some do and some don't is all. I know a Indian fella who used to love eating the old rank bores (stinky bloody things) he loved eating them where most would turn their noses up at em (me included) :lol:

Pigs of grain crops are usually ok to eat.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 27 Aug 2015, 8:37 am

night vision sighted in, ammo box full and camo clothes on standby... its a hunt weekend! cant wait to get back out there and hopefully bag some feral's.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Aug 2015, 8:42 am

petemacsydney wrote:night vision sighted in, ammo box full and camo clothes on standby... its a hunt weekend! cant wait to get back out there and hopefully bag some feral's.

Sounds good Pete, don't forget to get some pics and do a full report on how it went, I look forward to seeing how the NV gear goes. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 27 Aug 2015, 9:11 am

will do
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 2:26 am

Grey wallaby_20150830022010180.jpg
Grey wallaby_20150830022010180.jpg (457.54 KiB) Viewed 7166 times

This was shot tonight. The largest I've got so far. Was shot at about 50m. Awesome night out!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 30 Aug 2015, 3:07 am

It ate your face!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2015, 7:57 am

I have got a couple feral hogs and they were not very big my friend got a real big one pushing 400lbs it would smell when you cook it
he made sausage out of it because no one would eat it if I find the pics I will post
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Aug 2015, 8:21 am

Title_II wrote:It ate your face!

Thanks for sharing Zobster - do you eat em or was it must a culling op?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control