Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by Title_II » 24 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm

How much stuff do you guys kill each year? It seems there is a LOT more hunting down under due to all your feral and intrusive species problems. I would think most of you never have to buy meat. Hey, a deer or two will fill a freezer good, and some birds or bunnies can break up the monotony a bit. But it sounds like you guys are taking a lot more than that, and leaving stuff we would eat in the US. BTW, none of that is meant to be critical. It just seems like you have a lot of opportunities. Are there long hunting seasons for most game?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm

I don't shoot as much as I used to but still manage to get out every now and then, mostly foxes and bunnies for me these days (too broken to be chasing deer, pigs etc) these days.

I occasionally eat some rabbit but most are turned into paddock pizza for the raptors etc to eat. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 25 Aug 2015, 8:18 am

Title, most of us take some meat, even the trophy hunters, but not too many eat wild pigs. A lot of them are full of worms, but if you get a couple suckers you can pen 'em up and feed them on grain. Just don't give them names. We have about 5-6 varieties of deer, no Whitetails though. Most of the deer were introduced many years back by a group called the Acclimatisation Society. Others may be escapees from deer farms. There's plenty of feral goats around too. I got a couple a few weeks back and took the back legs off one, the other was used as pig bait.
Scott, That Buff was in open country and was shot at a range of about 50 yards. Before that myself and a couple of others hunted them in thick scrub a dog couldn't bark in. I shot one there at range measured more in feet than yards. Another heart lung shot and it dropped like a stone. 308 again but loaded with a Hornady Interlock 165gn. I'm selling the 308 actually it has to make way for a 9.3x62 I've bought.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Aug 2015, 10:33 am

You can't eat feral hogs? That sucks :(

We have them here. In some places people just have to exterminate them but the meat is fine.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Aug 2015, 10:39 am

Title_II wrote:You can't eat feral hogs? That sucks :(

We have them here. In some places people just have to exterminate them but the meat is fine.

Yeah you can eat them - some do and some don't is all. I know a Indian fella who used to love eating the old rank bores (stinky bloody things) he loved eating them where most would turn their noses up at em (me included) :lol:

Pigs of grain crops are usually ok to eat.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 27 Aug 2015, 8:37 am

night vision sighted in, ammo box full and camo clothes on standby... its a hunt weekend! cant wait to get back out there and hopefully bag some feral's.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Aug 2015, 8:42 am

petemacsydney wrote:night vision sighted in, ammo box full and camo clothes on standby... its a hunt weekend! cant wait to get back out there and hopefully bag some feral's.

Sounds good Pete, don't forget to get some pics and do a full report on how it went, I look forward to seeing how the NV gear goes. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by petemacsydney » 27 Aug 2015, 9:11 am

will do
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 2:26 am

Grey wallaby_20150830022010180.jpg
Grey wallaby_20150830022010180.jpg (457.54 KiB) Viewed 7202 times

This was shot tonight. The largest I've got so far. Was shot at about 50m. Awesome night out!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 30 Aug 2015, 3:07 am

It ate your face!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 30 Aug 2015, 7:57 am

I have got a couple feral hogs and they were not very big my friend got a real big one pushing 400lbs it would smell when you cook it
he made sausage out of it because no one would eat it if I find the pics I will post
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Aug 2015, 8:21 am

Title_II wrote:It ate your face!

Thanks for sharing Zobster - do you eat em or was it must a culling op?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 10:28 am

Not quite a cull op, but we did shoot a fair few. Kept 3 for dog tucker. Freezer filled with venison at the moment so didn't take any. Usually I'll keep a couple for mince to make burgers, sauce etc.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Aug 2015, 1:53 pm

zobster wrote:Not quite a cull op, but we did shoot a fair few. Kept 3 for dog tucker. Freezer filled with venison at the moment so didn't take any. Usually I'll keep a couple for mince to make burgers, sauce etc.

Thanks for that mate, how do they go as hamburger mince?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Aug 2015, 4:23 pm

zobster wrote:

This was shot tonight. The largest I've got so far. Was shot at about 50m. Awesome night out!

Awesome hunt there zobster! What part of tassie was that shot at and what with?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Aug 2015, 8:47 pm

zobster wrote:

Surely you cant be that ugly?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 30 Aug 2015, 9:13 pm

You won't eat hogs but you eat that thing? :D

You Aussies are crazy ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm

They are super lean so when making burgers out of them I would add about 25% regular lamb mince for flavor and fat. They taste quite neutral on their own, only the slightest hint of gamey-ness.

Was shot at blessington using my howa 1500 in 223, cartridge I used was ppu sp 55g.

I'm really take bad looking! LOL! Nah, I'm just being cautious, just in case some greenie see it.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Humir » 01 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

Title_II wrote:You can't eat feral hogs? That sucks :(

Some people are concerned about worms or parasites.

I dunno what the answer is but people do each them, just need to know what to do and look for I'm sure.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Sep 2015, 3:05 pm

Well finally after a few failed hunts, managed to bag a couple! First blood with this rifle :drinks:
First bunny I think took a hit through the eye socket and existed out through his chest, second one took it straight in the chest with no exit location.
These guys are juveniles, springs here and the rabbits are breeding like.....rabbits!
Attachments
20150919_113340.jpg
20150919_113340.jpg (350.87 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Sep 2015, 4:23 pm

Well done. A great start. :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Sep 2015, 8:26 pm

bentaz wrote:.222 sure makes mince meat of them compared to the old 12G I'm used to.

If you're not using them for dog food then reducing them to bite size pieces for carnivorous birds is perfectly acceptable IMO
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Sep 2015, 11:28 pm

Nice one mate, good to see the 222 is doing a fine job - how did you go with the load testing?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Sep 2015, 6:37 am

bentaz wrote:Haven't done any reloading for it yet, just emptying out some cases in preparation.
I'm waiting for my LGS to get in a shellplate for my press.

Ah roger that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 22 Sep 2015, 3:41 am

Bentaz, hope you weren't planning on eating that :D

What projectile?

Also, not a lot of .222 left in the States.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Andrew.22 » 22 Sep 2015, 8:18 am

These pics make me so happy. The .222 is a fantastic round. What does a box of 20 cost these days?
1942 Savage No4 Mk1* .303
2013 Savage MkII BV .22
1873 Winchester .357mag/.38spl, 24' octagonal barrel, case hardened.
Rossi Overland 12g Coach Gun
Andrew.22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 22 Sep 2015, 11:39 am

A soft point blows up that fast? We have that same Privi ammo in the states. I have heard about soft points for varmints but everybody uses Varmint Grenades or other weakly constructed fast hollowpoints. Very interesting, thanks! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 22 Sep 2015, 12:21 pm

Ben, just a heads up, I'm not a great fan of PPU for reloading. I've found that a lot of PPU cases just didn't like my full length sizing die. Having said that, I FL size so that it can be used across different rifles, you my or may not have issues if you're neck sizing, but until you can try it out for yourself, it may be worth getting another brand of ammo. I wouldn't want to see you with a pile of brass that gives you issues.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Yelp » 25 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Ben, just a heads up, I'm not a great fan of PPU for reloading. I've found that a lot of PPU cases just didn't like my full length sizing die.

I don't know what the composition of their brass is but it's definitely a lot different to Winchester, Remington etc. etc. and all the other ones.

It's almost like that glossy cheap plastic.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2015, 9:26 pm

After watching Elmer's rabbit spotting video last night I thought I'd head out again today and hit some new ground that I haven't tried yet on a 6000 acre property that I've been frequenting lately . ..I wish I'd bought my phone to take some pictures, blody heaps , nearly as bad as Elmer's video.

I didn't have much time to kill so I sat down and took out 7 rabbits all under the one thorn bush with the .22 using subsonics from 50 mtrs off the bipod all in the space of 20 minutes .

I'll be back.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control