Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by booomr » 21 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

Got this goat this morning. Some people I was camped with took a wrong turn at 7am yesterday morning, stumbled across a flock of feral goats. Spent 10 hours walking up and down hills, through scrub and all over the place looking for them.

Thought I'd give it one more shot when I was driving home, and there they were! Missed the big one, though :(
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2019, 9:04 pm

it is always good to have another crack, one more shot at it worked out
nice goat booomr
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 6:31 am

Nice one boomer, what cal did you use to roll it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by booomr » 22 Apr 2019, 11:35 am

My trusty .223 Howa with 62gr Armscor soft points. Neck shot dropped it instantly.

Although it was incredibly close to death, it was still gasping for air, so I gave it one more to end it quickly. I don't like suffering (perhaps I'm just a whimp lol).
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 2:47 pm

Nah Booomr not a whimp just a considerate person I to don't like animals suffering for no reason and good shooting mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 2:56 pm

Yeah Bigfellascott those dogs you were talking about back a bit mate they will only get thicker if not confronted some hunters think that you can just go out and shoot or trap dogs day after day but the truth is every time you have an encounter with a pack it gets harder to sight them making it almost impossible to get a kill they wise up to things like a human to the stage even trapping them gets difficult even those seasoned trappers and hunters that have hunted dogs for years most likely will tell you they learn something from the dogs every day so just goes to show how adaptable a dog can be
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 22 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm

The dogs eluded me last night and this morning. At about 8 pm last night I had a predator call and my thermal scope The only thing that came to the call was a curious roo. Not exactly what I was hoping for. So Easter is done and it’s back to work for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Apr 2019, 6:46 pm

Spent the weekend out with my friend. She shot a s**t load of bunnies,and a crow,and I dropped a fallow spiker under the light for the freezer. Great weekend
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 22 Apr 2019, 7:17 pm

Nice bigpete, another session with the T1X getting it sighted in and zeroed in nicer conditions I'm keen to have a crack on some bunnies!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

My son and son inlaw went crabbing and got 5 big mud crabs and this is what is left ''SHELLS'' nice feed :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
Attachments
Pic_0422_097.jpg
Pic_0422_097.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 7330 times
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

My son and son inlaw went crabbing and got 5 big mud crabs and this is what is left ''SHELLS'' nice feed :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:

I love Chilli Mudcrabs myself - nice looking feed you have there GDB :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 9:54 pm

booomr wrote:My trusty .223 Howa with 62gr Armscor soft points. Neck shot dropped it instantly.

Although it was incredibly close to death, it was still gasping for air, so I gave it one more to end it quickly. I don't like suffering (perhaps I'm just a whimp lol).

Nice job mate, I like the small cals myself, they just get the job done without too much fuss and noise etc. I love my Howa's too, they just work and shoot great, it's not too often I miss when using em I can tell ya. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Apr 2019, 9:57 pm

Yeah Bigfellascott those dogs you were talking about back a bit mate they will only get thicker if not confronted some hunters think that you can just go out and shoot or trap dogs day after day but the truth is every time you have an encounter with a pack it gets harder to sight them making it almost impossible to get a kill they wise up to things like a human to the stage even trapping them gets difficult even those seasoned trappers and hunters that have hunted dogs for years most likely will tell you they learn something from the dogs every day so just goes to show how adaptable a dog can be

Bloody oath GDB, they are bloody hard to hunt down and trap, they can be super cagy and seem to know when somethings not quite right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by booomr » 22 Apr 2019, 10:10 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
booomr wrote:My trusty .223 Howa with 62gr Armscor soft points. Neck shot dropped it instantly.

Nice job mate, I like the small cals myself, they just get the job done without too much fuss and noise etc. I love my Howa's too, they just work and shoot great, it's not too often I miss when using em I can tell ya. :drinks:

.223 has been one of my favourite calibres for as long as I can remember. There's not much it can't do - I've shot bunnies with it, and I've also shot pigs and goats with it. Variety of bullet weights (I have a selection from 50 - 80 grains depending on purpose), and most importantly - cheap!

A .308 or .270 will join it by the end of the year so I can add some antlers to my man cave, though.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 4:48 am

booomr wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

.223 has been one of my favourite calibres for as long as I can remember. There's not much it can't do - I've shot bunnies with it, and I've also shot pigs and goats with it. Variety of bullet weights (I have a selection from 50 - 80 grains depending on purpose), and most importantly - cheap!

A .308 or .270 will join it by the end of the year so I can add some antlers to my man cave, though.

Yeah it's a veratile little cal alright (I have one sitting in the safe) but I usually just go with the 222 or 204 as they get the job done for me without fuss. Also have a 308 sitting there that I take for armed bushwalks when I go out cutting firewood, plenty of pigs on the property I cut most of my wood on so might as well kill two birds with one stone hey. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Friday Night Quicky

Post by CrackThump » 11 May 2019, 8:55 pm

The Rufus and Bennets are running thick and fast in the north of Tassie these days. I took a quick courtesy lap around her Ladyships property around 6.30pm and shot 6 in about 15 minutes. plus one very unfortunate bunny currently residing in my freezer.

Some other lads turned up about 8.30pm and spent a few hours shooting well in excess of 30 so I hear..

Im in a quandry... Im keen to go out a couple of nights a week and really put a dent in the numbers, but Im told they get used to the lights and noise and stay more to the cover if you assault them to regularly

On a sad note, as I was driving the fenceline, I saw two MASSIVE greys about 50 mtrs the other side of the neighbours fence... I mean these guys were 5 foot easily, if I didnt know better Id swear they were Roo's on holiday and not Bennets. But.. but, I get the feeling its pretty bad form to go tossing bullets across borders wthout permission. lol. (Gaza strip anyone.?)

Lucky little ( big ) buggers live another day
Attachments
1557475232713_7811869949_2de88c25.jpg
1557475232713_7811869949_2de88c25.jpg (638.2 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 11 May 2019, 9:02 pm

Nice one mate, I hear the wallabies are good eating (got a mate whos a pointy headed tasmanian) he makes burgers out of em from memory. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 12 May 2019, 7:49 am

Got a few bunnies last nite was out looking for foxes seen a few but were way out of range
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-05-12-07-45-35.png
Screenshot_2019-05-12-07-45-35.png (200.73 KiB) Viewed 7132 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2019, 10:00 am

Yum bunny for dinner! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 12 May 2019, 9:15 pm

Good on ya AJB... :thumbsup:

Im with ol' 'kentucky fried rabbit big fella scotty wood choppa boy'...

Yummo...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2019, 9:26 pm

Stix wrote:Good on ya AJB... :thumbsup:

Yummo...!!!

Bloody oath, that sounds yum too - love the new handle, might use that :lol: :drinks: I love cutting firewood, it knocks the piss out of me but I still love doing it, just can't go hard at it these days, it doesn't take much to knock me up (breathing difficulties) but I still have a crack none the less. :D

I actually enjoy it more than shooting these days, but I still enjoy a bit of that too but don't do as much as I have in past years. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 12 May 2019, 10:09 pm

AJB wrote:Got a few bunnies last nite was out looking for foxes seen a few but were way out of range

bigfellascott wrote:Yum bunny for dinner! :D

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:Good on ya AJB... :thumbsup:

Yummo...!!!

Bloody oath, that sounds yum too - love the new handle, might use that :lol: :drinks: I love cutting firewood, it knocks the piss out of me but I still love doing it, just can't go hard at it these days, it doesn't take much to knock me up (breathing difficulties) but I still have a crack none the less. :D

I actually enjoy it more than shooting these days, but I still enjoy a bit of that too but don't do as much as I have in past years. :thumbsdown:

:D
Yea mate...i love it too...something about cutting firewood...like eating your own hunted bunnies...!!! :D
:thumbsup:
This is what i had for dinner...
2019-05-12 21.26.41.jpg
Boneless panko crumbed bunny thigh fillet.
2019-05-12 21.26.41.jpg (456.07 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

No i didn't eat the lighter :lol: -(i also dont smoke anymore--its there for size perspective)

Went out & grabbed a big sprig of rosemary, chopped it & tossed through crumbs...
2019-05-12 21.27.32.jpg
Yea baby...!!!
2019-05-12 21.27.32.jpg (268.76 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Dam i love hunting...!!!!!...!!!!!.... :clap:
(Not that lazy sniping of bunnies is hunting--but i dont waste em!)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 May 2019, 1:46 pm

Yum! Makes me want to go roll a few bunnies after seeing that feed. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 13 May 2019, 2:25 pm

it's rabbit hunting season :drinks:
bigfella's kentucky fried rabbit :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AJB » 13 May 2019, 2:37 pm

Jesus fellas those pics look really good I only make the stock standard rabbit stew out of them Kentucky fried rabbit mmm sounds good
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 13 May 2019, 4:59 pm

Definitely looks the good fellas. Much envy.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 26 May 2019, 12:37 pm

Screenshot_20190524-205628_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190524-205628_Gallery.jpg (798.04 KiB) Viewed 7125 times

Been trying to rack up some brownie points with my offsider since kinda standing her up earlier this week...all shot with my 17hmr and 20gn gamepoint ammo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 May 2019, 9:09 pm

Good stuff Pete...

And ill indulge you...'nice wood' :thumbsup:

Post up a pic of them at consumption... :clap:

I just put the only one i shot last weekend in buttermilk to try tomorrow night...
It'll be in the slow cooker in the morning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2019, 2:06 am

These are for someone else to help her out
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 27 May 2019, 7:45 am

very nice wood :drinks:
good to see the rabbits not going to waste :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control