Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by tom604 » 29 Nov 2015, 9:30 pm

:lol: she said that i could put the photo up but i had to wipe her face, so i drew another face on her face :D ,for a little fox it really did stink :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Nov 2015, 11:50 pm

At first I thought " poor girl ... somethings happened to her face " then I zoomed in :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Dec 2015, 4:28 pm

It was a blody good night for foxes last night, clear sky's, just a little light no wind and comfortable temperature.
I called these 2 in close enough to nail with the 12 gauge loaded with BB's
Seen another 3 but they kept their distance @ about 100 meters.
I got home around 1am and stuffed the good tail with salt ... peww stinky :crazy: I could still hear foxes all around but was just too tired to head out for another lap, might head out again tonight.
2015-12-10 16.44.04.jpg
2015-12-10 16.44.04.jpg (195.26 KiB) Viewed 6381 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 10 Dec 2015, 11:36 pm

I don't get the lingo. What did you do with the rabbit and the foxes?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Dec 2015, 11:44 pm

Title_II wrote:I don't get the lingo. What did you do with the rabbit and the foxes?

I shot em dead ;)
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 11 Dec 2015, 1:17 am

I was curious if you ate them or did something with the pelts. I wouldn't eat the foxes but I know a trapper girl that would buy them off me for the pelts. And I have a buddy that would make something out of them.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 11 Dec 2015, 9:13 am

Wobble wrote:You're an ideas man Tom!

Bah... Hahahahaha :clap: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Klem » 15 Dec 2015, 8:58 am

Title_II wrote:I was curious if you ate them or did something with the pelts. I wouldn't eat the foxes but I know a trapper girl that would buy them off me for the pelts. And I have a buddy that would make something out of them.

Guys don't do much with the pelts here.

More foxes than we have things to do with the pelts.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Dec 2015, 12:38 am

Productive night out
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 05 Jan 2016, 8:40 am

Klem wrote:More foxes than we have things to do with the pelts.

And the bounty is down to $5 and you have to damn near bring the whole animal skin.

Not worth the time.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 05 Jan 2016, 1:30 pm

I think we are about to restore a $25 ($50?) bounty for yotes but you certainly don't have to turn in a hide.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by lole » 08 Jan 2016, 9:59 am

Not worth the effort for foxes as said.

It used to be $10 a while ago in VIC but that's been stopped.

Feral dog bounty was up to $100 per head, and if memory serves there was one on goats for $25 too?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2016, 9:19 pm

bentaz wrote:I can report that i'm a dipshit.
Just drove half n hour to one of my farms to find out when i got there that i forgot the bloody bolt for the rifle.
Bloody dipshit, oh well, it was a pleasant evening for a stroll with the kidlet...

DOH! - I did a similar thing - I picked up the 250 bolt instead of the 204 bolt, good news was it still worked until I went to extract the case then it didn't work well :lol: still nailed the rabbit at 300+m but the worst part was I went home to try and work out what the hell was going on with the issue with extraction only to realise what the problem was but worse than that was the fact I had the 204 bolt in the ammo box! :lol: :lol: :lol: ah well at least I didn't have far to drive (15mins) so no great issues really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2016, 9:32 pm

bentaz wrote:I can report that i'm a dipshit.
Just drove half n hour to one of my farms to find out when i got there that i forgot the bloody bolt for the rifle.
Bloody dipshit, oh well, it was a pleasant evening for a stroll with the kidlet...

Yep, have done that. But was only about 15 min drive to get it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Jan 2016, 11:10 pm

Time before last I went out and forgot the mag. I was using a single shot that day...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm

Glad to hear. I hear some people have a lot of trouble, i'vehad a lot of trouble with .30-06 and .303 ppu brass, and I hear great things from others??? Maybe there are multiple factories or something? I dunno.

Didn't want you to collect a huge pile of it before you found out one way or the other, though.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 13 Jan 2016, 12:37 pm

Choppy feedback on PPU lately.

Trouble feeding/extracting factory loads, but problem solved once the cases have been sized/reloaded.

I wonder what that means for the factory there.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2016, 2:25 pm

In addition to a couple of bunnies shot this morning, managed to bag my first hare today. Man they are big bastards!
Attachments
20160116_121010.jpg
20160116_121010.jpg (389.23 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2016, 3:06 pm

Nice one mate, how do you find the little savage?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2016, 4:02 pm

It's the only rifle I currently own so I'm not able to compare it to much. A mate who sometimes comes shooting with me has an older .22 (I don't remember the brand), wooden stock and tapered barrel, (not the full thickness right to the end of the barrel) and even though its a full length barrel, its so much lighter. My little thing looks light but surprises everyone who holds it at how heavy it is. Not that I'd call it negative, but that's about the only downside to it for me.
Accuracy is great on it even though its only a 16" barrel. It's been a great little rifle for me to learn with.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jan 2016, 8:32 pm

Good to hear mate, the daughters got a Savage Mk2 and it's a cracker of a rifle, I've got it sitting in a Boyds Thumbhole stock (I don't like plastic stocks personally).

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rocker » 20 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Accuracy is great on it even though its only a 16" barrel. It's been a great little rifle for me to learn with.

The increased rigidity of a shorter barrel usually lends itself to good accuracy. Shorter isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Jan 2016, 1:31 pm

Rocker wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:Accuracy is great on it even though its only a 16" barrel. It's been a great little rifle for me to learn with.

The increased rigidity of a shorter barrel usually lends itself to good accuracy. Shorter isn't necessarily a bad thing.

That's what i understand, as well. Also, the tiny amount of powder in a 22lr has a complete burn at something like 13", so you aren't going to be losing much in velocity at all, either; as you can when using a short barrel in other chamberings.

Only draw back with a short 22lr is you don't have much wriggle room when and if it needs a re-crown.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Harts » 29 Jan 2016, 8:30 am

Mmmm, I dunno, there are a fair few 22lr's with 22-23" barrels.

Not a gunsmith and not saying I know better but there is a lot of barrel left past the 13" mark.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 29 Jan 2016, 9:46 am

Of course there is. The point was that any gain in velocity from having a longer barrel is going to be negligible. There are 22lr factory models with 28" barrel; doesn't mean it is necessary. If the tiny amount of powder in an LR case has completely burned up by about 13-16" of barrel, you are not losing anything by having a 16-20" barrel if that barrel length is more suited to your usual shooting scenario.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

Just my thoughts but I think the longer barrels on 22 and others goes back to the days of iron and peep sights. The longer the barrel, the longer the sight radius and potently resulted in better accuracy. 'Scope sights changed all of that.
Also, back then there wasn't the modern fast burning or choice of powders that are now available, remember the good old 303 was loaded with cordite - long thin wax sticks like spaghetti.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 11 Feb 2016, 10:48 am

Sound sketchy as :lol:
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 27 Feb 2016, 10:56 pm

I saw this bugger today while I was out getting a couple bunnies for the dog and he was way out of 22LR range so went back an hour later with the 222 and whistled him in.

Shot was about 90 meters down a very steep slope. The factory PPU soft points I been using the last few nights spotlighting just pass right through with a small exit wound but the handloaded 50 grain Vmax certainly left a big hole.

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Feb 2016, 5:27 am

Well done mate, this one won't be doing anymore damage to the wildlife and stock.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

Yep, the longer 22lr barrels is left over from peep and open sights. Modern 22lr gains max velocity around 15 or 16". Varies of course. Much after that friction starts slowing it down.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control