Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by Rifle realist » 09 Oct 2016, 7:04 pm

Never tried jerky,make great steaks camel T bones are good.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Rifle realist » 09 Oct 2016, 7:12 pm

Hi JS
Here is one positioned to cut the back straps out of. Second photo has 3 good eating size in it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Easy butchering
image.jpeg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
image.jpeg
On the left right size
image.jpeg (627.37 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 09 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

:mrgreen:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 10 Oct 2016, 6:46 am

Rifle realist wrote:I have now learnt how to post pics so here is a couple of a big old bull camel I shot in the south eastern Pilbara about 2 years ago. He was an easy shot about 80 yards away, He was unusual in that most of the bulls that old, have their tusks broken from fighting, his are still intact. The pastoralist who was with me reckoned he was the biggest bull shot on the place.

Good work RR!, too many of the bloody things in Oz, keep up the good work :thumbsup: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Oct 2016, 12:07 pm

I'm hoping to get up that way for some camels and donkeys at some point. Its more time constraints at this stage, though. But I'm trying to get started on planning a trip with my Brother. I might have to hit you up for some local info some time
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 18 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

One less vixen prowling local state forest. Did spot another one on my way back to the car to get my knife but the bugger spotted me first and made a quick exit.
Attachments
20161017_155222.jpg
20161017_155222.jpg (588.42 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 18 Oct 2016, 4:47 pm

Good job mate :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Oct 2016, 7:34 pm

Did you bush wack, whistle him or just shoot him in the back?

Well done. Weather has been against me so havnt been out.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 18 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

Was on the tenterfield for about 10 mins and then decided to go for a walk. Walked in the same direction for about 200m, stopped for a piss and spotted this one casually trotting towards me in the distance. Just got down on one knee and waited til she came within range.
Quite amazed at how far some of these foxes must come in from a call. The second one I spotted was very close to where I was calling and at this point probably 45 mins had passed since I put the whistle away.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 18 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm

Always the way, try and pick up a beer when fishing, Bam fish on... Try and take a slash when hunting and Bam, :shock: wrong weapon in ya hands... :lol:

Lightning quick change of weapons ( luckily piss washes out ) :lol:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 9:37 pm

I ran over a fox this morning on the M2 city bound just before the Windsor Rd exit, had to change lanes to get him and someone had hit him last night but I wasn't going to risk it having a miracle recovery. If the buggers there again in the morning I'll run over it again :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Nov 2016, 3:54 pm

Another one bites the dust this morning.

Could have easily been a second if I had my damn rifle. Where I shot this big boy was a fair walk from my car - eventually got to my car (which has my knife, bags, etc). Driving there I found the road back there was blocked by a fallen tree, so I had to walk back there with my pack. Stupidly decided to leave rifle in the car and on the way back to scalp the fox, I (without realizing) managed to sneak up on a fox that was only about 7m off the track trying to dig up what I can only assume was a mouse or something. Recorded for proof! https://youtu.be/k1bsVey4uhA
Attachments
20161112_115030.jpg
20161112_115030.jpg (642.55 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 12 Nov 2016, 8:53 pm

Deleted
Last edited by darwindingo on 12 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 12 Nov 2016, 9:09 pm

Great work mate :thumbsup: ... Also... Isn't it always the way when you don't have the gun ready to go... :roll:

Btw... I have a message for you, from that Fox... (don't 1080 the messenger :lol: )......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , I'll bet you will get even next time you meet :) :thumbsup:

Don't mind me, I'm just being a "Pajero"...(Referring to, Die Judicii's post in another thread ) :lol:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Nov 2016, 10:56 pm

Yep it's bloody Murphy's Law I tell ya!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Nov 2016, 2:51 pm

Hey, Duncan, how did you go Friday night?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Nov 2016, 1:05 am

We did not go all the factories are full and not taking any more for a while.Going this friday night to just hunt and get small for the freezer
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Nov 2016, 10:58 am

Oh, thats a pity sorry to hear it
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Nov 2016, 5:27 pm

Going this weekend cos my man goes back to Thailand next Tuesday.I can sell the skins frozen in fremantle and we are going to use the meat for burgers.PM your number and you can join in if you wish
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

New Tikka 1 - pigs 0

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2016, 10:44 pm

So I finally got out in the bush to use the new Tikka Hunter 308 - my mate called me and asked if I wanted to come for a run out the farm (he had some work to do on the backhoe so he said come for a run and when we get that done we can go for a armed bush walk and see if we can find any pigs - well I didn't have to be asked twice so I got the rifle prepped and grabbed the ammo and a drink and I was good to go.

Anyway we got the work on the backhoe sorted in a few hours and it was time to go walkabout so we drove up to one of the spots where pigs have been known to frequent from time to time. We parked the vehicle in some shade, got the rifles out and headed off, we'd only be walking about 10mins if that and we spotted a pig in a small clearing among a heap of blackberries :D he was about 100m or so away so not a hard shot, I had to shoot down hill as this was in a bit of a gully, anyway I wrapped the sling around my arm whilst resting up against a tree and found him in the scope and steadied myself as best I could and waited for it to appear out from some ferns etc then sent a 130gn Speer HP Fed on it's way, the thump and blood that instantly appeared on it were a dead giveaway that the shot had at least connected, after the shot rang out another pig darted off at high speed into some surrounding blackberries never to be seen again, anyway I couldn't see where the pig I shot was but I was confident it was a good shot and didn't think it would have gone far if it did manage to run off, so off we went down the side of this hill (farking mountain goat country) anyway we were scouting around looking for where we'd thought I'd shot this pig and we couldn't find it :o anyway we looked for any blood sign we could find and couldn't find any signs of that either, so my mate headed back up to where I'd shot from whilst I stayed where we thought it was, he couldn't see me and I couldn't see him so clearly were were in the wrong spot and it turned out we were we were 1 clump of blackberries out :roll: , so he directed me over to where the pig was laying and there it was dead as a do do. :D

That was a relief as I sure as hell wasn't going into any blackberries looking for the bastard I can tell ya. Anyway a few quick pics to remember the victory over the ferals and we headed off to a nearby dam to have a look and see if anything was hanging about there, nothing was seen so we sat for a little while to see if something might come in but nothing seen so we went for a little walk around the dam and I noticed this long black thing moving over the other side of the dam, a nice healthy looking blacksnake was doing what snakes do, so I decided to take a pic of it (I like Redbellies, they just cruise along doing their thing without fuss and don't seem to be aggressive at all going by all the encounters I've had with em so far.

Anyway we scouted around some more blackberries but no more pigs seen or heard so we called it a day and headed back to sort the backhoe out as it had been overheating during the work we'd done, turns out the radiator was covered on dirt and was hardly recognisable as a radiator :shock: so we drove it down to a hose and gave it a good clean and hopefully that's all it was.

Anyways here's a pic of the pig and snake and the countryside we were chasing em in.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 22 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

good one scott ....... I rather like the 308W it is efficient and does the job without the fuss .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2016, 11:00 pm

deye243 wrote:good one scott ....... I rather like the 308W it is efficient and does the job without the fuss .

It certainly does D, I chose it because of the availability of choice of reloading components and factory ammo if I need it and I had a good 100 once fired cases sitting there doing nothing so though I might as find a use for them, also they tend to be not so fussy to reload for to get them shooting well. Bugger all recoil to spitting out the 130's which is great, haven't run any 150's in it yet but will see how they shoot in it, next step is to get some dies and decide on a projectile to run in it and go from there I guess.

I gave a mate a box of those 55gn Varmagedons you gave me, they should go alright to I reckon in his 223. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 22 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm

yep they will . now don't forget to get some hornady 150g sst mat they are easy to get to shoot and devastating and cheap for what they are

48g of 08 in my 308 was outstanding .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2016, 5:18 am

deye243 wrote:yep they will . now don't forget to get some hornady 150g sst mat they are easy to get to shoot and devastating and cheap for what they are

Thanks for that D, I haven't got any 08 I have some 06H so will give that a go first and if need be buy the 08. I don't mind the Hornady Projectiles, they seem to shoot well and kill well so will definitely be trying them out for sure. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 23 Dec 2016, 9:07 am

Here's a couple foxes from yesterday arvo session sitting up on the hill. These were shot from 300 meters with the 204 Ruger and the pic is a video grab at 30x zoom. Took three foxes all up and saw about another six running for their lives after being spooked by the blast of the 204 so going to have to go back in a couple weeks and clean up them up too.

Also noticed all the bunnies had signs of mixo. A few days ago they were all clean so I'm guessing numbers are about to go south.
Attachments
00790.jpg
00790.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 23 Dec 2016, 9:11 am

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:yep they will . now don't forget to get some hornady 150g sst mat they are easy to get to shoot and devastating and cheap for what they are

Thanks for that D, I haven't got any 08 I have some 06H so will give that a go first and if need be buy the 08. I don't mind the Hornady Projectiles, they seem to shoot well and kill well so will definitely be trying them out for sure. :drinks:

AR2206H works great in my 308 loads.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2016, 9:30 am

happyhunter wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

AR2206H works great in my 308 loads.

Cheers mate, I know my mate loves it in his Tikka, he gets some very impressive results with it and the 130gn Taipans he been running through it.

Bit of luck it will shoot well for me as I have 4kg or so sitting there (use it in all my diff cals and so far it's been great in all of them), nice work on the foxes too by the way, I've got to get out after some over the Xmas break and I hope the bunnies are ok here (looking ok so far with reasonable numbers seen around the place lately but as you know that can change quickly once this virus hits.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 23 Dec 2016, 11:46 am

I'm a bit jealous BFS. I'm keen to go hunting for pigs, not so easy in Vic though. But have loosely got a trip planned with an in-law and his brother to go to a property in NSW for a pig trip in March/April, looking forward to it.
Don't have a large enough calibre at the moment though, will be buying a .243 before that trip.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2016, 12:10 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I'm a bit jealous BFS. I'm keen to go hunting for pigs, not so easy in Vic though. But have loosely got a trip planned with an in-law and his brother to go to a property in NSW for a pig trip in March/April, looking forward to it.
Don't have a large enough calibre at the moment though, will be buying a .243 before that trip.

You've got nothing to be jelly about mate you've got the big brown cows to hunt which would be awesome fun. I know we have them around my area too now (found one dead on the side of the road a while back) and I did notice a tree that had been rubbed not sure if it was deer or not but looked like I could have been.

The 243 should do the job nicely I reckon -I was lucky to get that one yesterday as it hit him in the spin, need too aim a bit lower next time i take a down hill shot at that angle, none the less it was a bang flop so all good I guess.

Anyway mate enjoy the pig hunting trip when you do it.
:friends:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2016, 12:12 pm

I forgot to ask do you not have much in the way of feral pigs in Vic?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control