22lr and 22mag hunting ammo

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

22lr and 22mag hunting ammo

Post by zobster » 25 Aug 2015, 4:26 pm

What ammo actually penetrates, expands and dissipates all its energy into the target?

I'm asking that because, the 22lr and mag seems to be punching holes straight through the animal, based on the dirt "cloud" behind.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: 22lr and 22mag hunting ammo

Post by Skadoo » 25 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm

It'll all be hollow point in 22lr and mag I'm pretty sure, and that'll do it.

Dirt cloud aside, what does the actual damage on the animals look like?

It's not unusual for a bit of shrapnel to go through which could be making the cloud.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Aug 2015, 4:56 pm

You can get high speed ballistic tipped 22mag ammo. Its very similar to 17HMR. I wanted some but my LGS doesn't stock it. Got some federal with a light projectile and a massive hollow point instead, haven't really used them much, did have some trouble with the hollow point being so wide it hit the edge of the chamber.
Here is the federal:
754595.jpg
754595.jpg (184.52 KiB) Viewed 5550 times

Bought my .223 after that., so haven't really paid much attention to the mag.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Aug 2015, 5:41 pm

zobster wrote:What ammo actually penetrates, expands and dissipates all its energy into the target?

I'm asking that because, the 22lr and mag seems to be punching holes straight through the animal, based on the dirt "cloud" behind.

What are you shooting? Maybe try some of the Segmented hollow point ammo that's out there. :thumbsup:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0064

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0074

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0970
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rippah » 26 Aug 2015, 8:48 am

Not sure why they wouldn't be but if hollow points aren't your thing you could try something like the CCI lead flat nose rounds.

For the 22lr do you have any preference for supersonics or subs?
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by zobster » 26 Aug 2015, 2:13 pm

I was shooting wallaby, bennetts and rufous.

I was using cci 22wmr, can't remember which variety, was bought off a mate after he sold his rifle. There wasn't much of a entry hole or exit hole, was struggling to find any holes actually, but I must be hitting them right cause they were dropping. I must admit, I didn't do too much of an autopsy later, I cut off both the legs and did not bother with the rest of the carcass.

22lr wise, I use the federal bulk 22lr hp ammo, 500 rounds per box I think. I actually use the cci segmented hp before, was quite impressed by them, they did their job pretty well.

I don't understand what I was doing wrong cause earlier during the day, I had just zeroed the rifle to the 22mag rounds and I was getting 1" groups at about 75 yards.

I normally shoot supersonic rounds, because suppressors are illegal, it is pointless to shoot subs.

After watching some YouTube ballistics gel test, I'm guessing because the wallaby is such a "thin" animal, unless I was going for a gut shot, there's isn't enough mass for the bullet to properly expand and stay within the animal.

Because I've got the 3 barrels with my cz, when I finish the 22wmr cartridges, I'll swap it to 17hmr, the ballistics on those look pretty good, basically once it hits the animal, the round just "explodes" due to it's speed and small size.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm

Where are you shooting them in the head or somewhere else?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 26 Aug 2015, 2:53 pm

Yup, head shot always. unless I'm using my 223, then it's center mass.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Aug 2015, 4:33 pm

zobster wrote:Yup, head shot always. unless I'm using my 223, then it's center mass.

Thanks for that mate, so what's the issue of the 22 passing through?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 27 Aug 2015, 10:38 am

Isn't hollowpoints designed to expand upon impact, create a large wound channel and unload all it's energy into the target. What is happening with me is that the bullets are acting like FMJ instead of HP. If it had done it's job of expanding and creating a large wound channel, the animal would not have survived a neck shot.

It happened on 2 animals that my head shot went a little low and to the left, missed the spine and the bullet just went in and out. Ended up having to shoot the 2 at center mass as they were on the run and I did not want them to jump off into the bush and bleed out slowly.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 27 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Aug 2015, 4:05 pm

zobster wrote:Isn't hollowpoints designed to expand upon impact, create a large wound channel and unload all it's energy into the target. What is happening with me is that the bullets are acting like FMJ instead of HP. If it had done it's job of expanding and creating a large wound channel, the animal would not have survived a neck shot.

It happened on 2 animals that my head shot went a little low and to the left, missed the spine and the bullet just went in and out. Ended up having to shoot the 2 at center mass as they were on the run and I did not want them to jump off into the bush and bleed out slowly.

I wouldn't say a 22 would do massive damage, in fact I'd say the opposite, that's one of the reasons why they are popular with rabbit hunters, they kill without doing massive tissue damage as a rule.

Maybe look at a 17HMR or one of the small cal centrefires - they should give you a better outcome I would think. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 27 Aug 2015, 4:23 pm

thanks for the input guys, I'm trying to track down some 17hmr ammo; Launceston seems to be completely out; I think they would be what I'm looking for. I just want to do the job properly.

anyway, I don't think I'll be restocking any more 22mag anytime soon, guess I'll stick to the 223 for the time being.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2015, 6:55 pm

I must say, I havn't had my 223 for long and only shot 3 or 4 foxes up close. But it has already impressed me. Should have got one 20 yrs ago. Its now my go to gun. Was gonna get a 222 yrs ago but just didn't happen.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Aug 2015, 8:02 pm

Not much difference between the two from my experience both do a great job
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 2:16 am

I managed to catch a ballistics gel testing video done by noia TV. Basically what I want is a ballistics tip bullet, something like the vmax. The bullet penetrated about 1.5" then it just disintegrated. Exactly what I want it to do. Now I know, check YouTube for ballistics gel testing video of the ammo first.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wes » 31 Aug 2015, 3:42 pm

zobster wrote:I was using cci 22wmr, can't remember which variety, was bought off a mate after he sold his rifle. There wasn't much of a entry hole or exit hole, was struggling to find any holes actually, but I must be hitting them right cause they were dropping.

zobster wrote:Isn't hollowpoints designed to expand upon impact, create a large wound channel and unload all it's energy into the target. What is happening with me is that the bullets are acting like FMJ instead of HP. If it had done it's job of expanding and creating a large wound channel, the animal would not have survived a neck shot.

Not exactly on impact, no.

Ballistic tip projectiles are perfect example, they're designed so the tip penetrates then the projectile expands dumping all it's energy in the target.

If a bullet hit bone just below the skin and blossomed straight away it would be like lots of little bits of shrapnel peppering the animal, that means much less energy being retain and tranfered compared to an intact projectile mushrooming and staying in one peice.

Without the tip an average hollow point will act in a similar way to the BT and penetrate with minimal expansion and begin expanding rapidly just inside so you won't get a large entry hole. Same for centre fire stuff too, .308 entry would is normally something like a 10c coin.

If you're getting no exit wound that's perfect as all the energy went into the animal, if it passes through but there is a big channel then that probably good enough but if they're just pencilling through in-and-out like you said then they're no good.

For all that said though the .223 is going to do way more for you anyway so stocking that instead is gunna solve your problem anyway :)
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control