Qld Hunting parks

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Qld Hunting parks

Post by benn1124 » 29 Aug 2015, 4:19 pm

Hey Guys,

iv heard from a couple of guys i work with who had friends of friends that say they have been to hunting parks around the Qld area some out west and other down more southernly they had only said for one of them that they had payed less than 100 per night to camp to hunt one of the places just wondering if any one knew anythign like this that wasnt ridiculously expensive. Trying to get out hunting a little more just finding it hard to find places to hunt :/

thanks Ben
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Qld Hunting parks

Post by Sam45 » 29 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm

Hey Ben,

Check this mob out!

http://www.westernhunting.com.au/index.php

Personally i think it's a little on the expensive side, but hey if that's all you can get so be it. I'm a member of the SSAA and also apart of the Farmer assist program. Much better option and you don't get charged to stay. You help the farmers out and usually get darn good accommodation.

I'm heading out to Blackall next weekend to help out on a major Roo cull. They are in plague out there. My buddy reckons, 400 rounds will not be enough, just to give you an idea.

With the Hunting Parks, remember there are a lot of people like yourself who use these. Check out the ones around Longreach better option and more to hunt.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hatter » 01 Sep 2015, 2:22 pm

benn1124 wrote:iv heard from a couple of guys i work with who had friends of friends that say.......

This is sounding accurate already :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 04 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

There have been a few blokes I know who have called up a property owner they've been hunting on his place for years, only to be told that he's signed up with Western Hunting or similar, and now they have to pay and book through them. It's a bit rough but the farmers are entitled to make a dollar where ever they can I guess. It takes time and effort these days to get yourself some hunting land, so you tend to look after it and offer to help the property owner if he needs it.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 09 Sep 2015, 11:32 am

Wouldn't they just give the owner a few bucks direct?

I always hate booking through third parties, just paying someone else a commission to do what you were going to do anyway and get nothing extra for your money.

Sorry, end rant :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sav » 09 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm

Sam45 wrote:Hey Ben,

Check this mob out!

Personally i think it's a little on the expensive side, but hey if that's all you can get so be it. I'm a member of the SSAA and also apart of the Farmer assist program. Much better option and you don't get charged to stay. You help the farmers out and usually get darn good accommodation.

I'm heading out to Blackall next weekend to help out on a major Roo cull. They are in plague out there. My buddy reckons, 400 rounds will not be enough, just to give you an idea.

With the Hunting Parks, remember there are a lot of people like yourself who use these. Check out the ones around Longreach better option and more to hunt.

I've been looking into the farmer assist stuff for a while what do you think of it?
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Usurper » 10 Sep 2015, 12:06 pm

SSAA did a big write up on it in the mag a few months back.

See if you can find it on their website or something?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 10 Sep 2015, 4:08 pm

Sav wrote:
Sam45 wrote:Hey Ben,

Check this mob out!

I've been looking into the farmer assist stuff for a while what do you think of it?

I think it's awesome! I spent 3 nights on a 100,000 acre Sheep Station out near Blackall. It was amazing TBH. They are in Plague in central QLD. You will get sore arms and hands from shooting. I saw thousands of roo's. Make no mistake I mean thousands.

I'm 46 and in all my years have never seen it so bad.

I stayed in the shearer's quarters which had power and most cooking gear..The bore water for the showers is pretty ordinary but you get to have a warm tub just depends on which property you go to. The Owner/Farmer I was with was great and I had a fee rein. He set me up with a mud map and I have a Garmin GPS, he highlighted the paddocks he wanted me to concentrate on. Told me the best times and I met up with him at the homestead once a day to discuss how it was all going. also contact via UHF. You need to be pretty much self sufficient and have some common sense. BTW, this was my FIRST time doing it without anyone. I was driving,spotlighting and shooting out of the passenger window :thumbsup: Usually, like most of us you go with mates, but no one could get time off. It's 1100K's from my front door, so like me, you need to be committed to doing it.It was pretty full on, but I had a blast. All ready sorted for Xmas :thumbsup:

You need to have a relative good shot as well. As there is so many, you need for it to be a one shot kill, if you injure a roo, you must humanely kill it asap until you continue.Part of the DMP culling process, same as the Pro's have to do. I was shooting 3 times a day and OMG.

So now i have that property I can go and help/hunt and I also received a call from another Owner/Farmer from Barcaldine who would like my assistance as well. As most of the farmers know each other out that way. So one reference and starting off doing it, now I have 2 properties i can help out on and hunt. Here are a couple of pics :D

Truck.jpg
Truck.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 5896 times

truck2.jpg
truck2.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 5896 times

scenery.jpg
scenery.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by joker » 10 Sep 2015, 6:59 pm

That sounds like you had a blast mate. How many roos did you get?
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 11 Sep 2015, 11:57 am

I take the the Farmer Assist program is basically they put a hunter in touch with a property owner?

You get a place to shoot and he gets from free pest control. That it?
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sam45 » 11 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

joker wrote:That sounds like you had a blast mate. How many roos did you get?

93 over 2 nights at about a 80% hit rate. If there was at least 3 of us I would say 300+ Was my first time shooting,driving and spot lighting at the same time. It was a learning curve that's for sure, but a fun one :clap:

Supporter wrote:I take the the Farmer Assist program is basically they put a hunter in touch with a property owner?

You get a place to shoot and he gets from free pest control. That it?

Pretty much Shagger, but you have to do the Target assessment and submit it. Also have to follow the rules they set out. In a nut shell yes :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 16 Sep 2015, 10:32 am

I see your keys floating in the centre console, wouldn't wanna lose them out there :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 16 Sep 2015, 5:21 pm

Yelp wrote:I see your keys floating in the centre console, wouldn't wanna lose them out there :lol:

Yep :thumbsup: Also when I pulled up for a shot I would take them out until I was used to shooting with the vibration of the car lol. Oh and the darn buzzer drove me nuts. Once I was used to the car running using the Maxbox pro it was happy days. Man if ya lost your keys out there...... Hmmmm :oops:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sarki » 17 Sep 2015, 8:50 am

Some good cardio walking back for help........ Silver lining???? :lol:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 17 Sep 2015, 5:25 pm

sarki wrote:Some good cardio walking back for help........ Silver lining???? :lol:

Long walk on a property of 100,000 acres LMFAO :crazy:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by lole » 23 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

That's a death march, not a walk :mrgreen:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 23 Sep 2015, 6:39 pm

lole wrote:That's a death march, not a walk :mrgreen:

Correct :thumbsup: Just need to be prepared and have all the safety gear you need and you will be fine.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Carter » 25 Sep 2015, 12:05 pm

Sat phone and a mate back at the station wouldn't hurt :lol:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 25 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

Carter wrote:Sat phone and a mate back at the station wouldn't hurt :lol:

Owner of the farm avaialble 24/7 UHF, coverage via repeater. GPS and yes a phone helps too :thumbsup: You cetainly do NOT go out there half a$$ed, that's for sure.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 01 Oct 2015, 9:33 am

UHF is always a good option if you know others are within earshot.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control