22-250 First blood.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

22-250 First blood.

Post by Elmer » 03 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

Well it was time to test the 250 on live targets, the first victim was at 369mts (404 yds) with very little wind to worry about I allowed for a 2.5mph crosswind (just in case :lol: ) touched off the shot and sent him to heaven.
First blood and a nice shot :D .
The second at 371mts (406yds) no adjustment to the scope was necesssary so after setting the trigger Mr v-max was on his way and struck Thumper in the head.
The third was at 430mts (470yds) with a couple more clicks for windage I lined him up and touched of the shot, half a second later the bullet whacked him through the chest sent him spinning then dropped him stone dead.
The last one was a Claytons kill at 482mts (527yds), once again with very little wind I still allowed for a 2.5mph crosswind , after quartering his chest (looked bloody small at that range) I touched off the shot.
This time the bullet landed just in front of him, bounced then struck him stone dead in the chest., a couple more clicks and it would have nailed him cleanly.
At these ranges the range finder was having a difficult time due to mirage and distance I could not get a clear reading past the 380mt (420yd)mark.
It was only at around half an hour before dusk when the mirage had calmed down that I could get a reading past the 457mt (500yd) mark and even then it was inconsistent.
So that was the first excursion for the 250, I was using Hornady 55gn Varmint Express with 1-2 thou run-out and I reckon if I used the 0-1 thou ammo (which I save for testing) I could have extended the range another 50 mts or so.
The 22-250 has a lot more authority than the .223 especially past the 400yd mark , it tends to anchor them on the spot with little fuss, unlike the .223 where the bunnies thrash around a little and sometimes find enough steam to crawl down a burrow before expiring.
That extra 500fps certainly makes a difference ..I am very impressed with its performance and can see more victims dropping at long range in the near future :D .
Sean.
https://youtu.be/ZX9dDCK-BxI
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: 22-250 First blood.

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Oct 2015, 5:40 pm

Lovely job mate, you certainly go to a lot of effort with the ammo (for obvious reasons) keep em coming, also how to you find the muzzle blast compared to the 223?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Browning » 03 Oct 2015, 6:46 pm

Two questions mate..
1) Do you zero it at 100m (an inch high, 2"?)
2) what scope you running? Keen to know what sort of hold over you're running at 500m?
Thanks
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 03 Oct 2015, 10:25 pm

bentaz wrote:nice work mate

Thanks mate...I like your avatar :lol: :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Oct 2015, 10:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Lovely job mate, you certainly go to a lot of effort with the ammo (for obvious reasons) keep em coming, also how to you find the muzzle blast compared to the 223?

Thanks Scott, it has quite a bit more authority than the .223, more of a concussive boom than a sharp crack, am thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it so I can see bullet strike, I know it will be louder but where I shoot nobodies there to tell me to shutup. ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Oct 2015, 11:02 pm

Browning wrote:Two questions mate..
1) Do you zero it at 100m (an inch high, 2"?)
2) what scope you running? Keen to know what sort of hold over you're running at 500m?
Thanks

Hi Browning,
I have the bullets printing at .9" high (23mm) at 100yds it then zeroes at 200yds.
Im using a Leupold VX3 6.5-20X Target scope with side paralax adjustment and varmint reticule, at 500m (547yds) I dial in 8 moa which in inches is about 45" elevation.
I have worked out a ballistics drop and windage chart starting from 400yds to 550yds with 5 yd increments and windage increments for crosswind at 2.5mph to 20 mph.
I use the imperial system cos thats what Leupold click adjustment are calibrated for.....your welcome to have a copy, let me know and I will email it to you.
cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Browning » 03 Oct 2015, 11:51 pm

Thanks for the reply mate.. Appreciated... Some great info there and it's nice to hear/learn from people on here who have the experience rather than just saying, "yeah, I just bought my first centre fire and I'm gonna go shoot rabbits at 700m"...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

Some impressive ranges there mate, well done.
I think a .223 will be on the cards next for me. A step up in range and power from my .22.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 04 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm

Good move mate, the .223 is accurate and with practice a good little varmint round. I have shot bunnies out to around 450yds with it an using 55gn pills in a standard 1in12 twist barrel. Check out my youtube channel , there are plenty of vids sniping bunnies from 200-425 yards with the .223.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 07 Oct 2015, 9:56 am

Browning wrote:Some great info there and it's nice to hear/learn from people on here who have the experience rather than just saying, "yeah, I just bought my first centre fire and I'm gonna go shoot rabbits at 700m"...

700m if they're being modest, how about the old "I want to start shooting and do 1,500m target shooting, which rifle should I buy" :mrgreen:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Oct 2015, 12:45 pm

I like your videos.

When you see an Eagle zoom in on them for a few seconds, the peta supporters here might appreciate it.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by veep » 12 Oct 2015, 9:07 am

Elmer wrote:That extra 500fps certainly makes a difference .

"Velocity kills" as they say ;)
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control