Good areas for rabbits close to Waverley Area

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Good areas for rabbits close to Waverley Area

Post by garethrjones97 » 21 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

Hey Guys,

Just asking about some good places to hunt rabbits/foxes that are close to the Mount/Glen Waverley area. The closest I can find is Toolangi (State Forest) but I doubt I'll be able to find any rabbits/foxes out there. Also before people start saying private property, I'm a filthy suburbanite and don't know a single soul out there, so unless it's usual to walk up to someones door and ask to shoot pests on their property I think that option is out the window.

Cheers, looking forward to the responses.
:drinks:
Also, (first timer here, please don't flame me :oops: )
garethrjones97
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Good areas for rabbits close to Waverley Area

Post by happyhunter » 22 Feb 2016, 10:31 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

+1 for the shower... plenty of deodorant too :thumbsup:

Go for a drive, leave the guns at home, bring the other half along (shower for her too :D ) , bring along a case of wine, knock on doors/gates, offer to assist with the rabbits and foxies, if you get a nay, leave a bottle anyway, with your number :thumbsup:

Where? Google earth/maps will show you the closest open paddocks/farms. No rabbits in the forest (not that you'll find anyway)

Good luck
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Elmer » 22 Feb 2016, 1:02 pm

That's it mate ...don't wait to be told you need......also have your hunting permit, licence (and it pays to be a member of the SSAA) at the ready in case they ask you for it.
Most property owners are pretty good and if they can see your genuine and not a scum bag that wants to kill their livestock then permission should not be that hard to obtain.
And when you have finished shooting, don't leave dead foxes and bunnies lying all over the place , pick them up and any rubbish and shell casings and take them with you., leave only your tyre tracks and the gates as you find them.
Also a good idea is to drop by the property and thank them afterwards and if you can spare some, offer them a bunny or two for the dog.
Pest popping properties aren't that hard to find, do the right thing and you will be invited back....don't do the right thing and next time you drive past that property you will see a NO SHOOTING sign on the gate which only f***s it up for everyone else
good luck and let us know how you got on,
cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 1:20 pm

That right.... one big plus for SSAA membership is the standard PL insurance coverage, worth mentioning :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by garethrjones97 » 22 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

Thanks heaps guys,
Sadly I'm 18 so no tatts or kids (luckily :D), I do have an SSAA membership but I'm not too sure how to transport a case of wine on a road bike... I'll give it my best shot though. I'll be sure to show you guys my results in a few months time.
Cheers
garethrjones97
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 Feb 2016, 5:40 pm

Get some panniers and take a 6 pack.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 5:47 pm

garethrjones97 wrote:Thanks heaps guys,
Sadly I'm 18 so no tatts or kids (luckily :D), I do have an SSAA membership but I'm not too sure how to transport a case of wine on a road bike... I'll give it my best shot though. I'll be sure to show you guys my results in a few months time.
Cheers

Sadly????
aaaahhhhh to be 18 again....do it all again.... with glee and more gusto :D :lol:
(could I keep the knowledge and experience attained since???)

Don't know?
Improvise! you got a backpack? :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Squiddy » 22 Feb 2016, 6:18 pm

What about Yarra State Forest near Warburton?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by garethrjones97 » 22 Feb 2016, 6:22 pm

Panniers it is then, also I was planning just to keep the rifle on my back in a bag. I'm most likely going to go up around Seymour and ask the property owners to the east.
garethrjones97
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

You could also lock the panniers for safe storage of ammo whilst travelling. To meet vicpol "standards" safe transport of firearms and ammo keeping both seperate and locked. Just a thought.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2016, 7:48 pm

Elmer wrote:That's it mate ...don't wait to be told you need......also have your hunting permit, licence (and it pays to be a member of the SSAA) at the ready in case they ask you for it.
Most property owners are pretty good and if they can see your genuine and not a scum bag that wants to kill their livestock then permission should not be that hard to obtain.
And when you have finished shooting, don't leave dead foxes and bunnies lying all over the place , pick them up and any rubbish and shell casings and take them with you., leave only your tyre tracks and the gates as you find them.
Also a good idea is to drop by the property and thank them afterwards and if you can spare some, offer them a bunny or two for the dog.
Pest popping properties aren't that hard to find, do the right thing and you will be invited back....don't do the right thing and next time you drive past that property you will see a NO SHOOTING sign on the gate which only f***s it up for everyone else
good luck and let us know how you got on,
cheers,
Sean.

+1 sums it up nicely.

Not long ago I knocked on 3 doors and had a new property. But being 40 yrs older helps.
Neat, clean, and respectfull of owner and property. No cammo or loud cars. Being safety concious will help too. Good luck.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by garethrjones97 » 22 Feb 2016, 8:12 pm

Forgot to ask, what wine should I buy? :D
I don't drink much alcohol and have next to no clue on how much I should spend or what I should buy...
(sorry that this isn't really hunting related)
garethrjones97
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

garethrjones97 wrote:Forgot to ask, what wine should I buy? :D
I don't drink much alcohol and have next to no clue on how much I should spend or what I should buy...

Easy peasy Gaz,

If you go east..... take a nice Shiraz, at least 3yrs old, preferably 5 to 10 yrs..
If you go north..... A Cabernet Sauvignon 5yrs would be enough
West.....a 5L cask of dry white, whatever is on special

:D :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 22 Feb 2016, 9:45 pm

I can't stop laughing about shower (and one for the missus) and wine comments. It's like, hey if shooting doesn't happen a swingers party might.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by junjun » 24 Feb 2016, 2:19 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Easy peasy Gaz,

If you go east..... take a nice Shiraz, at least 3yrs old, preferably 5 to 10 yrs..
If you go north..... A Cabernet Sauvignon 5yrs would be enough
West.....a 5L cask of dry white, whatever is on special

:D :thumbsup:

This is seriously funny. Perhaps a little bit harsh, but funny.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 01 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

The shinier the plastic bag it comes in the better the quality :D
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Shadd » 20 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

When my old man used to hunt he would take a nice bottle of scotch with him to the property every visit and share it with the owner the first night after he unpacked his gear I'd go up with my little peewee 50 and race round the home paddock while dad was out all day hell we made it an annual holiday haha
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 20 Mar 2016, 10:32 pm

I have a cute petite asian girlfriend so it seems I should not have too much trouble just asking around!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Mar 2016, 6:29 am

Tomek wrote:I have a cute petite asian girlfriend so it seems I should not have too much trouble just asking around!

......so you dont need wine or whiskey??? How does she feel about this potential arrangement?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control