A few "longish" range bunnies and a fox.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A few "longish" range bunnies and a fox.

Post by Elmer » 21 Feb 2016, 5:56 pm

Finally last Saturday was a half decent day to get out and do a spot of longish range bunny popping, with temps of around 25c and the ever present 16-32kph wind it probably was as good as it gets.
The hunt started with a nice little vixen whistled in to about 25yds and dispatched with a Win powerpoint from my .22lr Marlin s/s.
Then it was off to one of my patches for a little sniping with the .223, we have had a long hot and dry summer so numbers have been a little low. Although I did manage to tag three, my session was cut short due to the farmer deciding to plough one of his fields directly behind where I was shooting. :roll:
Any way the first one was straight forward, ranged at 224mts and a nice easy side shot , the bunny literally exploded when struck with the 55gn ballistic silvertip.
The second one at 274mts was a little more difficult , laying on his guts and facing away from me, there was only a small target area which left little room for error.
So, after placing the duplex just behind his rib cage I let one fly with a satisfying whock the bullet struck him where I aimed and exited out the front of his chest for an instant kill. After a few flipflops and a stretch his central nervous shut down for good and he lay still.
The next one was a touch over 274mts, and a nice side on shot...With the usual scope adjustments for elevation and windage I placed the duplex just behind his shoulder and touched off another Ballistic tip.
After the bullet struck, Bugs simply fell forward onto his face and from what I could see, hardly twitched...instant death (just the way I like it).
The vid starts off with a short description of the sako .233 and the ammo then goes onto the sniping,
cheers,
Sean
https://youtu.be/ZsDn2gJ6ShY
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: A few "longish" range bunnies and a fox.

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2016, 9:36 pm

Nice rig Sean.

You almost got a 2 for 1 deal at ~ 4:50 when that magpi few straight over the rabbit !

As always I'm blown away by the quality of the footage and the zoom at those distances.
Nice shooting.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 21 Feb 2016, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2016, 9:42 pm

Screenshot_2016-02-21-22-01-06(1).png
Screenshot_2016-02-21-22-01-06(1).png (336.03 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

Lol , that was close wasn't it...cheers Colonel
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Redwood » 02 Mar 2016, 8:58 am

Oooow, so close!
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 19 Apr 2016, 1:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:You almost got a 2 for 1 deal at ~ 4:50 when that magpi few straight over the rabbit !

Bit of KFC and rabbit pie in one shot :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control