Good night out for goats Roos and foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Good night out for goats Roos and foxes

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 1:42 am

Well it's 2:30edst had a good night tonight :thumbsup: shot 12 Goats, 8 Roos and 6 foxes. 308 Howa with 125tnts worked a treat on the Roos all bang flops. The same rifle with 135 osa buffalo river did a good job on a few goats 2 goats to the .22-250 55gr factory Winchester and 2 goats with one 165gr Hornady SST with the mark X :D 2 foxes fell to the 125tnts and 4 fell to the .204
Attachments
image.jpeg
Nice healthy fox
image.jpeg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
image.jpeg
Billy no1
image.jpeg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Good night out for goats Roos and foxes

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 1:50 am

Freezer should he nice and full now, and looks like a good area for spotlighting
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 7:55 am

My freezer is full you're right but not with goat meat. This was just a cull my mate just bought a farm along the scrub and the goats and Roos come in for a drink and feed and eat him out they are cropping it this season so a big mob of goats can be very costly. When I've nearly ran out of meat I might go up there on foot and pick out a hogget or kid 6-12 months old and get a good feed off of it
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 8:31 am

My gosh, you are shooting goats as pests. It's amazing how much killin' you mates need to do over there. Here somebody would take that goat alive, even if not imprinted on humans.

Nice fox! I like foxes but even here we have to shoot them sometimes. And at least the pelts are worth money here. You guys should check to see if you can export fox pelts to the US with all the fox killin' you do. I recall you just throw them out.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 9:50 am

Title I get $10 for the scalps only as an incentive to control the foxes not because they are worth anything. also feel like it was a waste of good meat but most of what we shot were Billy's or older nannys only shot 2 kids. Still does seem like a waste.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 9:57 am

I'm not eating anything that looks something like a dog. Just the way most of us are over here. Except the Koreans. And maybe the Chinese. And, of course, the Inuits. And maybe the Irish and a few Aussies here and there ;)

We have to kill stuff here that people generally don't eat as well. I have no problem with that. It's just peculiar to a Yank how much killing you need to do over there. I understand it, but it is interesting.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 10:10 am

:lol: Don't worry I don't eat foxes either! I just shoot them and scalp them. (I Sound like an Indian) the one I'm holding was the shiniest fox I've ever seen its fur was as soft as my Akitas was after a good wash.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 13 Mar 2016, 1:24 pm

Good stuff Mallee,I reckon they should introduce that bounty over here.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Mar 2016, 2:51 pm

Judging by the numbers you got I'm thinking you'll need to go out again soon.

And Title, we're relatively sparcely populated with very few native predators able to contain the feral populations, so yeah, we do have to do a fair bit of culling.

Goats, roos and rabbits can do pretty substantial damage to crops and pastures, hence the need to cull them.

Goats aren't really a problem around my area, there don't seem to be any feral goats running around, but pig numbers are definitely up and they're becoming much more common around here.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 3:30 pm

Yea sandgroper. I will definately have to go out again. That's our first decent night out on goats. But there was a fair mob of em we got 4 before the mob scattered. Then most went back into the scrub the rest we got went further into the farm. My talley this season (since harvest) for foxes is 29 now. I know a local bloke who does a number of farms locally who as of about a month ago had 90 foxes.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 13 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

29 to 90 foxes would be unheard of in the States. Even where there are bounties I think there are limits (which is kind of a contradiction). Usually when somebody around here needs to kill a fox it's one fox, or maybe one and two pups. Except for trappers, or course, that make their money off it. You really might want to look into how much you could sell those pelts for if you could (?) ship them to the USA.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Mar 2016, 5:05 pm

Elmer Good luck with the bounty in SA you guys have a labor govt which lean to far to the left and bow to the greens. Could you imagine the greens giving labor support if they were paying people to kill those cute furry foxes. I don't think we would get one either if it weren't already in place.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Mar 2016, 10:04 pm

Title_II wrote:It's just peculiar to a Yank how much killing you need to do over there. I understand it, but it is interesting.

According to Straya rule book, if it's not native it must be shot. If it is native, it could still be shot (e.g. roos), with permit :allegedly:

:shock:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

In fact! This is where dropbears come from. https://www.savethekoala.com/about-us/n ... ecret-cull Those that survive are radicalised and start fighting back.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Mar 2016, 12:34 am

Oh, the wretched drop bears are back.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Mar 2016, 7:02 am

juststarting wrote:
Title_II wrote:It's just peculiar to a Yank how much killing you need to do over there. I understand it, but it is interesting.

According to Straya rule book, if it's not native it must be shot. If it is native, it could still be shot (e.g. roos), with permit :allegedly:

:shock:

Exactly. And the drop bears huge threat to the human population in this country.
:o
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Mar 2016, 7:23 am

We have something similar to drop bears but smaller. They jump out of an American woman's vagina and gore your balls off. Your women can also catch their larva from a toilet seat unless they sanitize it with tequila.

As stated, they are related to the drop bear, but a sub species located in a certain region of Oz.

Here is a picture of what will coming flying out of American vagina at you:

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by VICHunter » 05 Apr 2016, 11:55 am

I always new Fozzie was bad news
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 18 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm

Are pig a real problem in Victoria with regards to crops,or are they hardly seen?
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 19 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

Not so much of a problem here.

More NSW and then especially QLD AFAIK.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria