New Hound

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

New Hound

Post by Gwion » 28 Apr 2016, 8:58 am

Haven't had an actual Hound since i was a kid, when my family had a Basset x Lab.

Well, this one may be a 4way mongrel, but he has definitely thrown more to the pointer/hound dam than to the working sire; even if he does have classic Kelpie markings. 12 weeks old (had him 3 weeks today) and he already 'sits' and 'waits' for his food, knows 'get out of it' (standard anti mischief command) and 'off' (the couch). He knew his name and would 'come' within 2 days but is starting to test that one from time to time.

The other dogs didn't think much of him to start with but they are now having a ball playing but only when the older dog wants to, otherwise it's 'watch out buddy!'

Never really trained a hunting dog, except a pair of big black dogs when i was a kid and we sort of trained each other as a rabbiting team. He has his nose to the ground at least 1/4 of the time he is awake and have seen him randomly point at distant noises & smells. I'd like for him to not be shy of guns like my parsons/koolie. Any tips?

Peat #3 cutie.jpg
He's grown a good 3 inches taller since this photo.
Peat #3 cutie.jpg (631.78 KiB) Viewed 4476 times

Peat #4 lanky.jpg
His legs are just getting longer and longer!
Peat #4 lanky.jpg (725.04 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
Last edited by Gwion on 28 Apr 2016, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: New Hound

Post by Chronos » 28 Apr 2016, 9:23 am

Good looking pup G :thumbsup:

Start out at home with a cap gun, rubber band around an empty drink bottle or similar, anything that will make a short sharp noise. Start using it at a distance when the pups eating or playing but pay no attention to the noise. It should be treated as nothing out of the ordinary. When he can ignore it and continue what he's doing bring it closes. Again don't show any reaction to the noise yourself. If you can get someone else to help it will make it easier.

Nose to the ground can be a good tool for blood trailing and tracking but a lot of pointers are meant to keep their head upas well scenting the air and keeping their eyes out for game

What breeds are there apart from kelpie?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Apr 2016, 9:28 am

Kelpie/Border Collie (dad) x G.S.H.Pointer/Fox Hound (mum: hence the nose to the ground).

I'll start him on the bang noise training while he eats and plays with the other dog.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 28 Apr 2016, 10:11 am

What a sweetheart!

Do you have pictures of it standing? Looks like it has long legs. Might not be the best rabbit hound, although it would probably work if trained. More of a fox hound.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 28 Apr 2016, 10:16 am

No Pics of him standing yet. I have little use for a rabbit dog and my parson/koolie cross just loves his bunnies anyway. I'd preferably like to use him for tracking and retrieval, although, with Fox Hound in him, he will be big and a very capable runner. It is said a fox hound can keep a steady pace for 24hrs or more!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RealNick » 12 Oct 2016, 3:20 pm

He looks like he's plotting trouble in that second photo :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

Nice pup mate !

Once he gets used to what Chronos said :thumbsup: , following the same process step it up to a .22 and fire it every time before he gets a feed or a treat or a ride in the car ( he will soon get the idea that it means food and other things he likes ) wont be long and he will get very excited to see or when he hears the gun. Just make sure he is completely comfortable before you step up to the big guns :thumbsup: Repetition and consistency is the key for all training with dogs. :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by tom604 » 12 Oct 2016, 7:18 pm

looks like he has a bit of rotty in him,hound/kelpie/rotty?/?,,,you did say four way?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2016, 7:23 pm

If he does Tom, he will be very loyal :thumbsup:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

Yep .... Rottweiler is good !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 12 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

As a side note.. I like to have a written list of commands, everyone that interacts with the dog uses.. It really helps to keep things consistent and prevents confusion for the dog. Obviously each individual in the pack will have a different relationship with them (their own little thing), but it's best not to let that intrude into the command side of things.. IMO.. Oh and That list should also include hand signals for each command.. :thumbsup:

That's how I do it anyway !

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Oct 2016, 7:50 pm

Word of warning to others:

Don't saddle yourself with a Golden Retriever !

The stupid ****** insist on ploughing the yard and eating EVERTHING that doesn't scream.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 12 Oct 2016, 7:56 pm

Nice pooch :)
We have a hound aswel but its a basset X unknown...best temperament dog ever. Ours has real short legs but there huge aswel as his paws...Stron little F**ker.
I will grab a pic

heres a couple from about 2 years ago...rest are on wifes pc...

IMG_1754.JPG
Rexie
IMG_1754.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4305 times

my 4 best mates.jpg
My 4 best mates...my 2 Boys and both our dogs
my 4 best mates.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 12 Oct 2016, 8:15 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Word of warning to others:

Don't saddle yourself with a Golden Retriever !

The stupid ****** insist on ploughing the yard and eating EVERTHING that doesn't scream.

best dogs ever :thumbsup: but the grooming :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Manimal » 13 Oct 2016, 9:40 am

tom604 wrote:looks like he has a bit of rotty in him,hound/kelpie/rotty?/?,,,you did say four way?

A little bit Rottie in the face isn't he.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Oct 2016, 9:55 pm

He's getting much taller at about 9 months or so.
He is Fox Hound/German SHPointer X boarder Collie/Kelpie. Gets the Black and Tan from both kelpie and foxhound lines. Very kelpie like in that he just wants to be with you. Very easily trained and a bit too friendly at times.

image.jpeg
I'm a good boy....
image.jpeg (396.58 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

image.jpeg
Found another bone....
image.jpeg (539.58 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

image.jpeg
Yep... Spoiled dogs at our place!
image.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 4274 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 15 Oct 2016, 12:07 am

Looks like he is quite at home on the bed mate.. :D Its a dogs life huh.. :lol:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2016, 5:30 pm

darwindingo wrote:Looks like he is quite at home on the bed mate.. :D Its a dogs life huh.. :lol:

Too much so; he needs to get in his own bed!!! Can't bloody move! :lol: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 15 Oct 2016, 7:30 pm

I hear you mate, when our Rottweiler X Bullmastiff retired at 15 he spent his last year in the bed with us, well the missus anyway most of the time I'd wake up either on the floor or half way off the king size bed ! He was a big fella ( Best dog ever, very loyal and loving towards kids ) he sorted out heaps of scumbags... :drinks:

On one occasion I noticed he had a bad cut to the back of the neck :( , he then dropped a finger that he had found / acquired :lol: at my foot that I can only assume that the scumbag must of lost at the same time :thumbsup: .. Of course the new pup Pitbull Bull Arab X caught on to the bed thing fast, moving him when his tired can be fun at times (there is no way anyone else could without bleeding).. :problem: :lol: He is protective (and a good hunter) but I need another "outside" guard dog :roll:

Back to the Rottweiler x Bullmastiff... I think.... :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control