Victoria, feral cats

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Victoria, feral cats

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

Cause they're big RJ you've been feeding them up mate no wonder you had to get a bigger trap :lol: :sarcasm:
Yeah mate they probably won't all come in together because they're all male of all female as they don't intrude
into each others space or even they're from the same litter but now loners
If you tan their hides and they're too big for a hat you might get a good rug for the lounge room floor especially if they are
multi coloured :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 13 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

RoginaJack wrote:Put the trap out last night with fresh rump steak and a scented lure too. Got Mr. Tom Cat really interested. Actually went up and just in the trap entrance.......

Had the camera on another path, shows it's a pussy highway out there! I thought I was only dealing with one but 4 showed up. More pussys in the yard than at Kings Cross!

This may sound silly, but has worked for me with some very overly cautious feral felines. Wet a rag with bleach, or ammonia based cleaning agent then let dry, place in trap instead of bait.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Dec 2018, 11:12 am

RoginaJack wrote:Yep, still at it and Mr F. Cat is now starting to go into trap but only just and had to get a bigger trap. This sounds a bit like Jaws 'cause this cat is huge.

In the last fortnight I've had another 3 ferals show up on camera. The cats must have a roster system with each working different shifts 'cause there are no chance meetings or fights.
Stix, you might need a bigger pickle bucket too.
Watch this space. :violin:

Need more buckets full stop...!!
Got all these at different stages now...
2018-12-13 11.32.28.jpg
Run out of pickle buckets
2018-12-13 11.32.28.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 5980 times

Farmer has a 200ltr drum for me as im hoping to try my first sheep skin soon...so im sure your feline fur will fit in there... :thumbsup:

Im getting excited...!!

Just pinned these out to oil yesterday...!!
2018-12-13 11.38.54.jpg
2018-12-13 11.38.54.jpg (338.87 KiB) Viewed 5980 times

2018-12-13 11.39.08.jpg
Widdle puddy tat...
2018-12-13 11.39.08.jpg (423.7 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Dec 2018, 12:31 pm

Thanks Trekin, Will give it a go tonight. With all this feeding it's becoming a strain on the budget.

There are a few big toms and the odd Queen.

The challenge is shooting is not an option, BUGGER!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by trekin » 13 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Thanks Trekin, Will give it a go tonight. With all this feeding it's becoming a strain on the budget.

There are a few big toms and the odd Queen.

The challenge is shooting is not an option, BUGGER!

Yeah, have simular problem here, middle of our village, living next door to a house belonging to crazy cat people (who don't actually live there, but let all the stays, ferrals and domestic cats have the run of the place). Anywhere up to five litters going at any one time, and the stink on a hot summers day. Council not wanting to get involved, although the Mayor wants to put a bounty on ferral cats across the region, but the council keep voting it down. Trapped over thirty this year, just the wiley ones left now, but they seem to falling to the bleach trick nicely.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 13 Dec 2018, 3:03 pm

trekin wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Put the trap out last night with fresh rump steak and a scented lure too. Got Mr. Tom Cat really interested. Actually went up and just in the trap entrance.......

Had the camera on another path, shows it's a pussy highway out there! I thought I was only dealing with one but 4 showed up. More pussys in the yard than at Kings Cross!

This may sound silly, but has worked for me with some very overly cautious feral felines. Wet a rag with bleach, or ammonia based cleaning agent then let dry, place in trap instead of bait.

Wouldn't have thought of this! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Must smell like piss hey?? :unknown:
I'll have to try it in my trap once I have got the quoll that's my current nemesis! :lol: :drinks:
Should add the quoll is completely catch and release alive in a different location where it won't come back and sh@t on my barbecue!!
:lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 13 Dec 2018, 5:05 pm

Daddybang wrote:
trekin wrote:

Wouldn't have thought of this! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Must smell like piss hey?? :unknown:
I'll have to try it in my trap once I have got the quoll that's my current nemesis! :lol: :drinks:
Should add the quoll is completely catch and release alive in a different location where it won't come back and sh@t on my barbecue!!
:lol: :lol: :drinks:

Don't know the exact science behind it, but some say it does. But after living next door to the feline shangrla hell hole, I'd rather stick me beak in a bottle a pharma grade ammonia, which is what cat piss is mostly made up of. But 9 out of 10 cats go apesh@t over the smell. If you have a domestic cat at home, put a drop of watered down bleach/ ammonia based cleaner on your hand and watch it go to town licking and rubbing your hand.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Mar 2019, 8:44 am

Time for a nationwide bounty system

For every square kilometre in this 'pristine' region of Australia, there is a feral cat
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-10/f ... t/10882428
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2019, 10:02 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Time for a nationwide bounty system

For every square kilometre in this 'pristine' region of Australia, there is a feral cat
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-10/f ... t/10882428

I'll vouch for that. There are heaps. Often smell them. But can never shoot the buggers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Mar 2019, 11:12 am

Speaking of Quolls, some years back(~2007 or so) I had a mate tell me about a research project conducted somewhere down around Warwick (QLD).

Two paddocks were used which contained a known population of quoll.
One was not baited for fox the other was(Fox-specific 1080 Poison baits).

In the unbaited paddock it was estimated that 25 quoll had been lost to fox predation.

In the baited paddock 3 quoll were lost to 1080, one was dissected and found to have eaten in excess of 10 baits.
It would appear gluttony is not only a sin in the human realm.

Of interest was in addition to those taken by 1080 a further 10 quolls in the baited padock had been killed in fights with other quolls.
Obviously a fox-free quoll is not a happy quoll.

Cranky little buggers!
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 3:06 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Here's the stomach contents of one I shot earlier ... yes that's cat food inside.

With such a black and white view on things it's quite likely you shot someones family cat...

stops being a pet the second it leaves their property.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 3:10 pm

happyhunter wrote:Feral cats around here would be better described as wild cats. They are so many generations away from domestic that the markings are becoming uniform.

this idea I keep seeing come up that feral cats are "generations away" or "so different" or "so far from being" domestic cats is a complete misnomer a cat is a cat. They ALL hunt and they ALL do it for not just food but fun. There is no difference between a feral cat and a roaming domestic cat.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Apr 2019, 7:20 pm

I was once asked to bring a little rifle out to a small semi rural property to clean up some cats that were hanging round in such number they were just getting out of control. But I had to do it carefully with instruction from the homeowner to ensure none of his own house cats were harmed. I had no idea how wary the feral cats would be or at what range I would be shooting them at ...so as soon as I was loaded and ready I indicated to the owner I was ready for instructions on what to shoot. He then said Well u can start with that one right there. It was just walking beside me about 6 feet away ....so I had a very simple produvtive job for the next hour till it got too dark
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Apr 2019, 8:45 pm

I bangflop cats in the paddock when I see em, they don't belong there so they get removed, simple as that!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Apr 2019, 9:31 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I bangflop cats in the paddock when I see em, they don't belong there so they get removed, simple as that!

I would love to shoot a feral cat, but I have never seen one when I have been out shooting.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Apr 2019, 10:58 pm

I culled Wooramel for a few years and scored cats quite regular
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 11:38 pm

duncan61 wrote:I culled Wooramel for a few years and scored cats quite regular

wooramel wa? if so i would believe you carnarvon is crawling with the furry little bastards
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Apr 2019, 6:03 am

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I bangflop cats in the paddock when I see em, they don't belong there so they get removed, simple as that!

I would love to shoot a feral cat, but I have never seen one when I have been out shooting.

I'm sure it will happen mate, I've been seeing more and more over the years so chances are you will bump into em too.

Most of mine have come into the Fox Pro or whistle and also run into em out spotlighting regularly too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2019, 8:52 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

I'm sure it will happen mate, I've been seeing more and more over the years so chances are you will bump into em too.

Most of mine have come into the Fox Pro or whistle and also run into em out spotlighting regularly too. :thumbsup:

Sounds good. I am intending to by an Icotec caller, so I am sure seeing and hopefully shooting a feral cat is simply a matter of time. I can’t imagine a cat will go well against a 40 grain vmax pill out of my 204. Foxes certainly don’t like that combination.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Apr 2019, 6:18 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

Sounds good. I am intending to by an Icotec caller, so I am sure seeing and hopefully shooting a feral cat is simply a matter of time. I can’t imagine a cat will go well against a 40 grain vmax pill out of my 204. Foxes certainly don’t like that combination.

I haven't had any cats run off regardless of what I've hit em with, all instant bang flops as a rule. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Apr 2019, 9:53 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

I haven't had any cats run off regardless of what I've hit em with, all instant bang flops as a rule. :thumbsup:

Which would be pretty to watch!!
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Apr 2019, 10:04 pm

Yep very satisfying seeing ferals hit the deck, same with foxes, I love rolling those too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control