If wild dogs are such a problem, are they easy to find?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

If wild dogs are such a problem, are they easy to find?

Post by Tomek » 12 Jun 2016, 1:08 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-11/p ... ge/7499206

This article implies that wild dogs are a big problem. Is this true? If so, they should be relatively easy to find near farm properties. Although I've never heard of them being mentioned much here, at least not for Victoria.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: If wild dogs are such a problem, are they easy to find?

Post by Gwion » 12 Jun 2016, 2:12 am

Yes. They are a big problem. No, they are not so easy to find. You Can be right around them and not know it except hearing them howl at night.

It takes a bit of dedication to be able to get onto them. I'm still talking from a hunting research side, not personal experience but it does interest me. I have spent many a night alone in the Vic back country while fishing and listening to the dogs howling.

Baiting them in on a carcass is one popular method as is calling them by mimicking them. I am yet to try either because the only place I know of dog packs on Tas, you aren't allowed to take a rifle.
Last edited by Gwion on 12 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2016, 10:46 am

Gwion wrote: I am yet to try either because the only place I know of dog packs on Tas, you aren't allowed to take a rifle.

Now aint that just typical of the problem.

I got one 2 year ago, that must have been the unluckiest one going.
I was set up in a hide, when a wallaby came crashing out of the trees with this feral dog hot on its trail.
He seemed shocked to suddenly find himself in a clearing, and propped.
Just in time to wear a lead trinket under his ear. I only had to move the rifle an inch or so to get the cross hairs on him.

Like I said, he must've been the unluckiest one of all.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

Watched landline today. I didnt realise there were so many around. I will be watching this thread with some interest.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jun 2016, 6:26 pm

Feral dogs are extremely cunning and yes they are a massive problem.

When I was trapping them, you'd be a local celebrity for the month If you caught one in a trap. Since then I've learnt a heap more about trapping dogs that I wished I'd known before like using a ground sheet when setting the traps, same side up every time to prevent leaving your scent, collecting a bitche's urine preferably while on heat to spray around the trap and looking at the country to work out where dogs are likely to move rather than just setting one randomly along a fence.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 12 Jun 2016, 6:27 pm

I had a girlfriend that liked to wear a dog collar and a leash and have me walk her outside and then would bark while I did her :D

Now that that's out of the way. I understand you mates need to dispatch all sorts of feral and invasive species. But are you eating dogs, too?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jun 2016, 7:54 pm

No mate, leave eating dogs to the Chinese..
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm

They don't smell too bad when you skin em ... ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jun 2016, 1:23 am

Didn't really plan on saying this,,, but I think you've got a problem Title.

How low can you get ????

And please don't say,, A corgi.
:shock: :thumbsdown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 13 Jun 2016, 7:23 am

You mates make kitty jerky and eat that roo thing that looks like a muppet. I'm not criticizing you at all, but I think it was not an unreasonable question from my uninformed perspective.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jun 2016, 9:38 am

Title_II wrote:You mates make kitty jerky and eat that roo thing that looks like a muppet. I'm not criticizing you at all, but I think it was not an unreasonable question from my uninformed perspective.

"roo thing that looks like a muppet" ??? :? :wtf: :?

Oh,,,,, and maybe I should've said I think the "girlfriend" has a problem.

:lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 13 Jun 2016, 9:58 am

I think it was that wallaby thing, I forget.

Yeah, it was the girl. Not my thing, but it's not really unreasonable if it floated her boat.There are some serious freaks out there, this was odd but fairly tame. It got my wick wet :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jun 2016, 10:14 am

Title_II wrote:I think it was that wallaby thing, I forget.

Yeah, it was the girl. Not my thing, but it's not really unreasonable if it floated her boat.There are some serious freaks out there, this was odd but fairly tame. It got my wick wet :)

Oh well,,,,, as long as you didn't end up with "Kennel Cough" afterwards. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 13 Jun 2016, 11:10 am

LOL! :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by p3seven » 13 Jun 2016, 3:34 pm

I do recall reading that some Antartic explorers got into all sorts of health problems with vitamin toxicity after eating their sled dogs.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jun 2016, 4:43 pm

Eating dog liver can be very toxic to humans due to the very high concentration of vitamin A.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 14 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

Pass...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 2:39 pm

Even in the mallee along the southern scrub line. We have trouble with wild dogs but only a few ever are seen or killed I know of perhaps 5-6 that have been shot or run over by enthusiastic farmers in a ute.. For the most part you just see the results of them being in with sheep and occasionally their tracks. It's odd as there is no real trouble on the northern scrub line even though there is really only roughly 20km-30km between them. Also don't you love the topic specific ads.... Sorta creepy really...
Attachments
image.png
image.png (662.16 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 14 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Tomek wrote:This article implies that wild dogs are a big problem. Is this true? If so, they should be relatively easy to find near farm properties. Although I've never heard of them being mentioned much here, at least not for Victoria.

You wouldn't have if you're in outlying Melbourne areas. Once you're a few hours north of the city you'd see how much of a problem they are. (I'm not from the area but I suspect west is the same.)

As you'd know, dogs in a true wild setting go days without a successful hunt, and will kill at every opportunity because they've got to take what they can get.

The problem in a sense comes from how much fenced in livestock fuels that instinct. Fencing in 500 sheep, even in a large area, is effectively a meat room for the dogs. It's like putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of his favourite gear. They can't stop after just one, they can't ration it out, they just demolish it.

If they took a single sheep and lived of it for 2 weeks before returning that would be one thing, but a couple of dogs can easily kill 2-3 dozen stock animals in a night. They can bring down stock numbers significantly, and fast, and finding a few dogs running around on a thousand acres who can be active any time of the day is easier said than done for Mr. Farmer.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Tomek wrote:This article implies that wild dogs are a big problem. Is this true? If so, they should be relatively easy to find near farm properties. Although I've never heard of them being mentioned much here, at least not for Victoria.

You wouldn't have if you're in outlying Melbourne areas. Once you're a few hours north of the city you'd see how much of a problem they are. (I'm not from the area but I suspect west is the same.)

As you'd know, dogs in a true wild setting go days without a successful hunt, and will kill at every opportunity because they've got to take what they can get.

The problem in a sense comes from how much fenced in livestock fuels that instinct. Fencing in 500 sheep, even in a large area, is effectively a meat room for the dogs. It's like putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of his favourite gear. They can't stop after just one, they can't ration it out, they just demolish it.

If they took a single sheep and lived of it for 2 weeks before returning that would be one thing, but a couple of dogs can easily kill 2-3 dozen stock animals in a night. They can bring down stock numbers significantly, and fast, and finding a few dogs running around on a thousand acres who can be active any time of the day is easier said than done for Mr. Farmer.

What He Said....
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

Are they a problem; YES a huge one, in some areas. Are they east to find. NO, that;s why it's called "Hunting Wild Dogs" not Shooting. It's a bit like "the sky's' full of birds" or "the ocean full of fish". Try checking the newspapers and online and your local farming groups etc they may be able to assist.

Good luck and watch your back! These puppies don't wanta lick ya face; they wanna rip it off!
Last edited by RoginaJack on 15 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 14 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

Title_II wrote:I had a girlfriend that liked to wear a dog collar and a leash and have me walk her outside and then would bark while I did her :D

Now that that's out of the way. I understand you mates need to dispatch all sorts of feral and invasive species. But are you eating dogs, too?

...mate, was that her puppy treat for being a good woofy? :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 14 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
VICHunter wrote:

What He Said....

Very true mate, the property owner I know will not tolerate ANY stray dog on his land, it will be shot with or without a collar.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

Elmer wrote:
Title_II wrote:I had a girlfriend that liked to wear a dog collar and a leash and have me walk her outside and then would bark while I did her :D

It was all her, mate. I just wanted to get laid. Although not my thing, this kind of stuff did make life interesting. :)

It will be a great story for the grandkids :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Title_II wrote:
Elmer wrote:

It was all her, mate. I just wanted to get laid. Although not my thing, this kind of stuff did make life interesting. :)

i dunno if id tell the grandies that one mate...... more of a story for the pub.. :drinks: :drinks: . but if you want them to look at you weird everytime they see you by all means... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :drinks:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 15 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
Title_II wrote:
Elmer wrote:

i dunno if id tell the grandies that one mate...... more of a story for the pub.. :drinks: :drinks: . but if you want them to look at you weird everytime they see you by all means... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :drinks:

I've never brought it up before. I think I'll save it for Christmas dinner with the family :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control