If wild dogs are such a problem, are they easy to find?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: If wild dogs are such a problem, are they easy to find?

Post by VICHunter » 14 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Tomek wrote:This article implies that wild dogs are a big problem. Is this true? If so, they should be relatively easy to find near farm properties. Although I've never heard of them being mentioned much here, at least not for Victoria.

You wouldn't have if you're in outlying Melbourne areas. Once you're a few hours north of the city you'd see how much of a problem they are. (I'm not from the area but I suspect west is the same.)

As you'd know, dogs in a true wild setting go days without a successful hunt, and will kill at every opportunity because they've got to take what they can get.

The problem in a sense comes from how much fenced in livestock fuels that instinct. Fencing in 500 sheep, even in a large area, is effectively a meat room for the dogs. It's like putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of his favourite gear. They can't stop after just one, they can't ration it out, they just demolish it.

If they took a single sheep and lived of it for 2 weeks before returning that would be one thing, but a couple of dogs can easily kill 2-3 dozen stock animals in a night. They can bring down stock numbers significantly, and fast, and finding a few dogs running around on a thousand acres who can be active any time of the day is easier said than done for Mr. Farmer.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Tomek wrote:This article implies that wild dogs are a big problem. Is this true? If so, they should be relatively easy to find near farm properties. Although I've never heard of them being mentioned much here, at least not for Victoria.

You wouldn't have if you're in outlying Melbourne areas. Once you're a few hours north of the city you'd see how much of a problem they are. (I'm not from the area but I suspect west is the same.)

As you'd know, dogs in a true wild setting go days without a successful hunt, and will kill at every opportunity because they've got to take what they can get.

The problem in a sense comes from how much fenced in livestock fuels that instinct. Fencing in 500 sheep, even in a large area, is effectively a meat room for the dogs. It's like putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of his favourite gear. They can't stop after just one, they can't ration it out, they just demolish it.

If they took a single sheep and lived of it for 2 weeks before returning that would be one thing, but a couple of dogs can easily kill 2-3 dozen stock animals in a night. They can bring down stock numbers significantly, and fast, and finding a few dogs running around on a thousand acres who can be active any time of the day is easier said than done for Mr. Farmer.

What He Said....
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

Are they a problem; YES a huge one, in some areas. Are they east to find. NO, that;s why it's called "Hunting Wild Dogs" not Shooting. It's a bit like "the sky's' full of birds" or "the ocean full of fish". Try checking the newspapers and online and your local farming groups etc they may be able to assist.

Good luck and watch your back! These puppies don't wanta lick ya face; they wanna rip it off!
Last edited by RoginaJack on 15 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 14 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

Title_II wrote:I had a girlfriend that liked to wear a dog collar and a leash and have me walk her outside and then would bark while I did her :D

Now that that's out of the way. I understand you mates need to dispatch all sorts of feral and invasive species. But are you eating dogs, too?

...mate, was that her puppy treat for being a good woofy? :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 14 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
VICHunter wrote:

What He Said....

Very true mate, the property owner I know will not tolerate ANY stray dog on his land, it will be shot with or without a collar.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

Elmer wrote:
Title_II wrote:I had a girlfriend that liked to wear a dog collar and a leash and have me walk her outside and then would bark while I did her :D

Now that that's out of the way. I understand you mates need to dispatch all sorts of feral and invasive species. But are you eating dogs, too?

It was all her, mate. I just wanted to get laid. Although not my thing, this kind of stuff did make life interesting. :)

It will be a great story for the grandkids :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Title_II wrote:
Elmer wrote:

It was all her, mate. I just wanted to get laid. Although not my thing, this kind of stuff did make life interesting. :)

i dunno if id tell the grandies that one mate...... more of a story for the pub.. :drinks: :drinks: . but if you want them to look at you weird everytime they see you by all means... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :drinks:
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 15 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
Title_II wrote:
Elmer wrote:

i dunno if id tell the grandies that one mate...... more of a story for the pub.. :drinks: :drinks: . but if you want them to look at you weird everytime they see you by all means... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :drinks:

I've never brought it up before. I think I'll save it for Christmas dinner with the family :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control