Crop destroying Bunnies.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Crop destroying Bunnies.

Post by Elmer » 21 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

Was on my way to a Bunny spot when the farmer pulled me over and told me about one of his crops being chewed up by Bunnies and asked me to start thinning them out.He wasnt kidding, a stretch of crop about 300yds long and 100yds wide was being destroyed by the little bastards, well seeing the damage I only needed to be asked once. :thumbsup:
Good thing I had the .223 with me as the range started from 200-300yds , a nice comfy distance for this caliber...result was 1/2 a doz which 4 were filmed.
If the weather behaves itself I will go back there again this Saturday for part 2,
cheers,
Sean.
https://youtu.be/yNyBRZusBBg
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Crop destroying Bunnies.

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

The little buggers sure do clean up crops.

One little old lady I shoot for has a crop of lupins like that. I shoot what I can, both roos and rabbits but baiting is still necessary for the rabbit's.

Typically I get closer and use the .22 LR on rabbits but the other night I shot one out near the middle of the crop with the .223 at 200m off the side mirror while I was out culling roos 8-)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gazza » 21 Jul 2016, 6:59 pm

My rabbit spots are very quiet recently. I have even found a few dead lying around. Awesome video!
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Jul 2016, 8:34 pm

Another 4 minutes of my life gone, I reckon the VW is a nice touch for any Green voters who might be watching.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jul 2016, 10:13 pm

Nice one Sean, hopefully I will be out bombing them this Spring (will depend of whether the virus is through my area or not I guess) hopefully not as I like the challenge of nailing the babies at 200m or so (they just disappear when hit right)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mongrel » 21 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm

Another cool vid, and nice shooting mate
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 11:45 am

on_one_wheel wrote:The little buggers sure do clean up crops.

One little old lady I shoot for has a crop of lupins like that. I shoot what I can, both roos and rabbits but baiting is still necessary for the rabbit's.

Typically I get closer and use the .22 LR on rabbits but the other night I shot one out near the middle of the crop with the .223 at 200m off the side mirror while I was out culling roos 8-)

Ya gotta love Bunnies....nice shot, thats not easy one.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 11:46 am

gazza wrote:My rabbit spots are very quiet recently. I have even found a few dead lying around. Awesome video!

Thanks mate, I hope K2 hasnt struck you area...keep me informed.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 11:49 am

Baronvonrort wrote:Another 4 minutes of my life gone, I reckon the VW is a nice touch for any Green voters who might be watching.

...and never to be returned :lol: .....my partners daughter wanted to paint daisys on it :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 11:51 am

bigfellascott wrote:Nice one Sean, hopefully I will be out bombing them this Spring (will depend of whether the virus is through my area or not I guess) hopefully not as I like the challenge of nailing the babies at 200m or so (they just disappear when hit right)

Thanks Scott, the little ones tend not to thrash around when hit with the 250...instant dog tucker :D
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 11:53 am

Mongrel wrote:Another cool vid, and nice shooting mate

Cheers Mongrel...looks like the weather will be tolerable this Saturday so part 2 is coming up :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by valkyrie » 22 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

We had the same thing on our property but after a mixi plague and me and my mates shooting 3-4 times a week for 6 months we knocked the numbers right back. Even a year and a half later there still dosent seem to be any around. Its not uncommon for us to spotlight all 3000 acres and not see a single bunny in a night
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 22 Jul 2016, 1:18 pm

valkyrie wrote:We had the same thing on our property but after a mixi plague and me and my mates shooting 3-4 times a week for 6 months we knocked the numbers right back. Even a year and a half later there still dosent seem to be any around. Its not uncommon for us to spotlight all 3000 acres and not see a single bunny in a night

Yup, I reckon you thinned them out :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jul 2016, 2:15 pm

Elmer wrote:Ya gotta love Bunnies....nice shot, thats not easy one.

Thanks .... lets not talk about the ones I missed :lol:
When the weather fines up a little Ill set myself up on the bipod and see how I go.

They were out last night but wouldn't sit for me.
Probably too much moon out, then it started to rain.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GCCA » 23 Jul 2016, 9:25 pm

Great Video nice shooting.
GCCA
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria