223 or 22-250 for rabbits and foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: 223 or 22-250

Post by sandgroperbill » 23 Aug 2016, 11:35 am

bigfellascott wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:My new rifle arrive at the lgs today. I wanna try it on bunnies once it gets through licensing.

good to hear mate, what did you end up buying?

458wm. Don't wanna use something too small for the job. Slightly worried there may be some meat loss, though.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2016, 12:07 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:My new rifle arrive at the lgs today. I wanna try it on bunnies once it gets through licensing.

good to hear mate, what did you end up buying?

458wm. Don't wanna use something too small for the job. Slightly worried there may be some meat loss, though.

:lol: can't imagine there would be any loss of meat using in :D purfect cal for hunting rabbits to elephants :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dogger » 21 Apr 2017, 11:01 pm

Depends on location and game. I worked in and around Geraldton WA. I use to supply roo shooters and farmers, with all their shooting needs as i worked in a gunshop. The 223 will get the job done with a minimum of noise, always head shoot, use nosler 55grn ballistic tips. Good for bunnies (vaporise), foxes cats and roo's.
I use to use a 223 but found it at times not lethal enough at short range, when shooting in crops and when spot lighting at distance. I used a Ruger No1 in ss and lam in 22-250 with nosler 55grn bt. Vx2 4-12x40 mildot i could take a fox at 400m No bs, but 22-250's are loud.
204 ruger tried it once Tikka varmint, good round just pricey stick to the 223.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control