Fox woes.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Fox woes.

Post by alby » 05 Nov 2016, 5:56 pm

So a fox just grabbed my rooster. Tracked it and found my too dead in the grass. Now its sitting dead still looking at me, 200 metres out, not a breath of wind, and all I have at hand is a 12gauge lol :(. Can't wait for my pta's to come through....
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Fox woes.

Post by pete1 » 05 Nov 2016, 7:50 pm

the 12 gauge will get it but dont think your gunna get it at 200m it will probably be feeding its young as its that time of year so might be back soon.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 05 Nov 2016, 8:00 pm

Try a "Solid" rifled round. Might need a few practise shots to get the elevation right but if it hit's it'll make a mess.

Hope it's not a "Full Choke"... Been there, done that...ouch... :o
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

Don't even bother trying to shoot it unless you're sure you can get it.
You only ever have one chance wirh a fox, they are very smart.

I'm finding morhers are teaching their young to run from vehicle's, lights, and my whistle.

A few nights ago I spotted a big cub running down the road about 350 meters ahead. I stopped the vehicle, put the beam on it and whistled. It started to move in and 10 secobds later it's morher started frantically screaming at it from behind me about 200 meters or so back. The cub bolted and the morher took a wide birth around me and never stopped.

That cub won't be likely to hang around next time it sees a vehicle, my light and hears my whistle.

I'm going to need to call them from a hide with a different whistle during the day.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2016, 9:01 pm

Smart buggers, you bet. You get 1 shot, if you miss you got buckleys of shooting the bugger.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 05 Nov 2016, 9:25 pm

That's when you start playing Long Range Varmint Hunting....300m ++ from a bench, sit and wait for the bugger to think it's safe. :allegedly:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 05 Nov 2016, 9:42 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Don't even bother trying to shoot it unless you're sure you can get it.
You only ever have one chance wirh a fox, they are very smart.

I'm finding morhers are teaching their young to run from vehicle's, lights, and my whistle.

A few nights ago I spotted a big cub running down the road about 350 meters ahead. I stopped the vehicle, put the beam on it and whistled. It started to move in and 10 secobds later it's morher started frantically screaming at it from behind me about 200 meters or so back. The cub bolted and the morher took a wide birth around me and never stopped.

That cub won't be likely to hang around next time it sees a vehicle, my light and hears my whistle.

I'm going to need to call them from a hide with a different whistle during the day.

Encountered many over the years that would bolt from the whistle, there was one in particular that we tried to get on several occasions (just had a habit of presenting in unsafe to shoot spots :thumbsdown: ) that was missing most of his tail so he was easily identifiable (can only assume that was why he didn't care for the whistle) ?... anyhoo strangely enough though we did get him, he had came in for a rabbit that got caught in a trap (not ours) that we heard and headed towards to see what was happening and there he was moving in :D .. Always made me curious why he bolted from the whistle, yet he rapidly headed for a similar sound without hesitation on that occasion ? Perhaps hunger ? Maybe just due to it being daytime ? Perhaps he could pick the difference of real vs whistle ?..

Always had more success with the stressed frog sound we often used, probably due to less guys doing things like that at the time ?

Whatever the case, I am inclined to agree that it's best not to shoot at them unless you can get them... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by gazza » 05 Nov 2016, 9:52 pm

There isn't a fox that can resist a snared rabbit ;)
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 05 Nov 2016, 10:11 pm

gazza wrote:There isn't a fox that can resist a snared rabbit ;)

The rabbit I referred to was in a, lets just say a non snare type trap.. ;)..

I do think that not all whistles are created equal though :| so that could be why ?.. They are a rather smart predator ! But not so smart as to out do the Dingo in the long run :lol:

:drinks:
Last edited by darwindingo on 05 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2016, 10:15 pm

Here is an old thread that is worth reading.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3086
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 05 Nov 2016, 10:44 pm

:drinks:OB, a good read.. :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by alby » 06 Nov 2016, 9:46 am

I brought the dead rooster back to the yard and set it down in a good spot. And waited. On dusk Mr fox returned for his catch. I watched him sneak in closer and closer until he was almost in range. Then my stoopid staffy (who is not a gun dog) caught whiff of it and set after it. Last I saw of them they were both at full speed heading up the neighbours fenceline.

He'll be back,or another will. Our free range chooks are too tempting. And our 23 acre place is surrounded by my neighbour's 3k acres.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 06 Nov 2016, 11:12 am

if he got your rooster he will be back for another
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2016, 11:43 am

alby wrote:So a fox just grabbed my rooster. Tracked it and found my too dead in the grass. Now its sitting dead still looking at me, 200 metres out, not a breath of wind, and all I have at hand is a 12gauge lol :(. Can't wait for my pta's to come through....

Been there Alby, I normally carry a CF rifle and shotgun with me when whistling to cover all bases, anyway this particular time I just took the shottie and bugger me if I didn't get a fox to come out of some ferns and the bastard just sat there about 100m or so away and wouldn't budge for love or money, could have shot it a million times over with the rifle and no way for me to close the gap either as it was all open between us, anyway after about 5mins or so it decided to walk off and I went to see if I could find it but nothing seen. :unknown:

As Wenchman said he will be back for the rest of em, either have a whistle and see if you can get him in or maybe buy a foot hold trap or two and trap the bastard (I'd go that option) as you don't have to waste your time trying to catch him in the act as such, let the traps do the work but you will need to keep any dogs or other pets away or they will get trapped of course (not a big issue as they are soft jaw traps so don't generally do any real damage, just hold them firmly so to speak.

Anyway mate good luck with it all and I expect to see a pic of a fox or 2 with holes in em soon! :D :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by POD89 » 06 Nov 2016, 12:44 pm

I've always struggled to spot light for foxes. flashing spot lights seems to make them run for the scrub around where I go shooting.
I have the best luck right on dusk and depending on the time of year, you can pick up tracks on fire breaks around the paddocks. They have just finished cutting silage so the grass is nice and low. Myself with my .223 and my brother with his shotgun go for a walk about 20min before the sun goes down. Then find a postion near to where the tracks were found, figure out the wind and wait. I use a button whistle and if there is no response my brother uses an uncanny duck call against his hand with his mouth.

Anyway last night the duck call was the one! my brother called him out of the scrub at about 200m
when he whispers out
" there he is TAKE EM TAKE EM"
I whisper back while looking through my cross hair,
"have another, see if you can get him in"
he calls again and i watch the fox prick his ears up and B line towards us. I'm following him with my cross hairs just waiting for him to stop.
closer...closer...
My brother nearly got the words out,
" Are you gonna take him or ...."
The fox stopped instantly ...
CRACK
The .223 makes a clean dispatch of fox as he lays perfectly still.
Now, only then do i look up from my scope to notice that this fox is only 50 m away( if that)...
I think my brother thought that in 3 more seconds he would of been in range for the shotgun and he would have had it him self.
I guess i owe him one....
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 Nov 2016, 1:05 am

00 buckshot.9 pellets/case.If one of them balls hits it it will die
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia