Caliber for hunting pests in state forest deer habitat.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Caliber for hunting pests in state forest deer habitat.

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

I wrote to DELWP asking them to clarify the constant fallacy about carrying less-than-deer-legal calibers when hunting pests in state forests that comes up in every discussion.

I asked:
"Could you please clarify something for me which has been a bone of contention for years now in almost any discussion about hunting state forests?

1. Are you allowed to hunt pest animals in state forest with a firearm not approved for deer hunting (ie anything under .243)?

2. Are you allowed to hunt the smaller species of deer in state forest with a firearm not approved for the larger deer species (ie .243)?"

"...there are no legal minimum rifle calibres for use on pest animals, however, the calibre must be sufficient to ensure a quick and humane death for the pest animal being hunted otherwise the hunter could be in breach of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986. You are allowed to carry firearms in recognised deer habitat that are below legal deer hunting calibres if you are hunting pest animals during daylight and you have the relevant firearms licence/authority. You can not carry any firearm and spotlight in recognised deer habitat at night."

Please feel free to direct people to this if they continue to propagate the crap about "shooting pests with a .22 in deer habitat is illegal" :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 08 Jan 2017, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Caliber for hunting pests in state forest deer habitat.

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

Sorry to thread hijack but it's made me remember some stuff, to anyone whos been actually stopped out bush whats to go?

And how do you actually prove that your just going for pests? I have that peice of " hunting for pests " paper but its about a year out of date..
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2017, 3:22 pm

AusTac wrote:Sorry to thread hijack but it's made me remember some stuff, to anyone whos been actually stopped out bush whats to go?

And how do you actually prove that your just going for pests? I have that peice of " hunting for pests " paper but its about a year out of date..

You don't need to prove you are not hunting deer. They need to have some sort of evidence that you might have been.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 08 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

innocent until proven guilty not the other way around :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2017, 4:00 pm

Do I get this right. You are worried you could be convicted of an offence for carrying a 22lr in SF that is declared deer habitat? (you intend to hunt say rabbit or foxes)

If this is what you are suggesting, I believe NO. Parks officers would need to find you with a dead deer at your feet killed by a 22lr.
That's my understanding.

I often hunt foxes with a 223 in declared deer habitat SF. I just stick to foxes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 4:36 pm

tom604 wrote:innocent until proven guilty not the other way around :thumbsup:

Sometimes i wonder these days...
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by nords » 10 Feb 2017, 9:34 am

AusTac wrote:Sometimes i wonder these days...

Guilty until you've spent a fortune and days of your life proving your innocent when the cops didn't know their s**t. :thumbsdown:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Feb 2017, 10:57 am

Just a few months ago I spoke to a Game Authority guy in country Victoria.
I was planning going for a walk for foxes with a 223 in declared deer country. To cut the story short he said it was fine just don't get caught with a deer in the tray of the ute with a 223 or in the no go area with the 3006 or 223.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 14 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

AusTac wrote:And how do you actually prove that your just going for pests? I have that peice of " hunting for pests " paper but its about a year out of date..

Have a bag of rabbits instead of a bag of deer meat :lol:
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ThePlinkster » 09 Jan 2021, 7:14 am

bladeracer wrote:I wrote to DELWP asking them to clarify the constant fallacy about carrying less-than-deer-legal calibers when hunting pests in state forests that comes up in every discussion.

I asked:
"Could you please clarify something for me which has been a bone of contention for years now in almost any discussion about hunting state forests?

1. Are you allowed to hunt pest animals in state forest with a firearm not approved for deer hunting (ie anything under .243)?

2. Are you allowed to hunt the smaller species of deer in state forest with a firearm not approved for the larger deer species (ie .243)?"

"...there are no legal minimum rifle calibres for use on pest animals, however, the calibre must be sufficient to ensure a quick and humane death for the pest animal being hunted otherwise the hunter could be in breach of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986. You are allowed to carry firearms in recognised deer habitat that are below legal deer hunting calibres if you are hunting pest animals during daylight and you have the relevant firearms licence/authority. You can not carry any firearm and spotlight in recognised deer habitat at night."

Please feel free to direct people to this if they continue to propagate the crap about "shooting pests with a .22 in deer habitat is illegal" :-)

Thanks for clarifying that BladeRacer.....
I went to a firearm store on the week end.....
And the sales rep there told me that I would lose my firearms license and that my rifles would be seized if I got caught walking in a State Forest with a 22LR if it's a deer habitat there....................
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm

ThePlinkster wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I wrote to DELWP asking them to clarify the constant fallacy about carrying less-than-deer-legal calibers when hunting pests in state forests that comes up in every discussion.

I asked:

And the sales rep there told me that I would lose my firearms license and that my rifles would be seized if I got caught walking in a State Forest with a 22LR if it's a deer habitat there....................

Yep, its fine. I chase foxes in SF all the time.Just not at night with a spotlight. Even some torches are considered spotlights.

Majority of SF in Vic is now considered "deer habitat".
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 09 Jan 2021, 7:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
ThePlinkster wrote:

I asked:

Yep, its fine. I chase foxes in SF all the time.Just not at night with a spotlight. Even some torches are considered spotlights.

Majority of SF in Vic is now considered "deer habitat".

I wonder where this rumour/myth originated from OldBloke
Where people thought that it was illegal to carry a 22LR into a state forest that's considered a deer habitat :unknown:
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2021, 8:06 pm

ThePlinkster wrote:I wonder where this rumour/myth originated from OldBloke
Where people thought that it was illegal to carry a 22LR into a state forest that's considered a deer habitat :unknown:

It started from people making assumptions about the law, probably erring on the side of caution, rather than asking for clarification from the authorities.

The regulation about minimum caliber really makes it obvious in my opinion, if it were illegal to hunt in sambar habitat, with anything less than ".270" as stipulated for the larger species, then the .243 would also be illegal, despite being specified for the smaller species. Where I've been hunting are mainly fallow (.243" minimum), but there are some sambar (.270" minimum) also. If I can hunt fallow there with a .243, despite sambar being there, then clearly I can hunt pests with something else that does not comply for deer at all. Because of the potential for sambar encounter, I take the 7mm-08 with heavy and light loads for both situations, and a still lighter load for pests.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Jan 2021, 10:58 pm

https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/pest-animals
That needs to renewed annually and VIC relevant only. NSW is R licence.

As for caliber depends where you’re going and the terrain. For me anyway. Most places i go i won’t use a high powered rifle.
I don’t like to make much noise if i can help it.

Also of note, feral cats and deer in vic still not listed as pest animals. And yes i know they are. But “legally” that’s a no. Go figure.

Also also of note. Supressors are illegal in vic. Don’t ask. No-one knows why

New to hunting in Victoria ? Laws seem a bit weird here ?
You’d be correct in that assertion :thumbsup: they are weird because they were written by weirdos. :crazy:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Jan 2021, 11:46 pm

You blokes are lucky down there we're not even allowed to carry a gun in a SF up here they're only used for breeding ferals, as was said rules by weirdos
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2021, 1:42 am

What needs to be renewed annually?
There is no permit for hunting pest animals in Victoria.

They are proposing protecting feral cats so we'll only be allowed to trap them and deliver them to a vet for humane destruction.

womble wrote:https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/pest-animals
That needs to renewed annually and VIC relevant only. NSW is R licence.

As for caliber depends where you’re going and the terrain. For me anyway. Most places i go i won’t use a high powered rifle.
I don’t like to make much noise if i can help it.

Also of note, feral cats and deer in vic still not listed as pest animals. And yes i know they are. But “legally” that’s a no. Go figure.

Also also of note. Supressors are illegal in vic. Don’t ask. No-one knows why

New to hunting in Victoria ? Laws seem a bit weird here ?
You’d be correct in that assertion :thumbsup: they are weird because they were written by weirdos. :crazy:
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Jan 2021, 3:27 am

It’s not a permit or a licence and it’s not mandatory. It costs about 10 bucks a year.
It’s just registration to hunt pest animals on crown land in vic.
So it’s documentation you can provide if queried why you carry a small caliber rifle in “deer habitat”

Quotations because apparently nobody updates the deer themselves where their habitat is. Because from what I’ve seen they go wherever the f*** they want.
And until some weirdo vegan legislator passes some laws that deer must abide by, technically they can.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Jan 2021, 5:12 am

Grandadbushy wrote:You blokes are lucky down there we're not even allowed to carry a gun in a SF up here they're only used for breeding ferals, as was said rules by weirdos

Yes ok that is a weird one :crazy:

But i think i can top it, for the sake of a pissing contest on who has the wackiest rules/regulations :drinks:

In Victoria i can legally hunt rabbits in wetlands / game reserves.
BUT i must hold a game licence to hunt ducks so as i can clearly identify what species of duck the rabbit is. :crazy:

In Victoria my dog is allowed to “flush” pest animals but not allowed to “chase” or “injure” them Whilst they are alive :crazy: ;)
So yeah, lets just conveniently ignore the fact that for millions of years we hunted with dogs and we would’nt even have evolved from monkeys without that symbiotic relationship.
We don’t eat meat anymore apparently.

In Victoria i can own a spotlight but i may not “possess” a spotlight. Or something like that. I still have’nt figured that one out exactly. I think i can have it in the vehicle or at camp, just not allowed to use it. Who f***ing knows :unknown:

In victoria feral cats are a protected species because vegans, who also inhabit unoccupied crown land, keep them as pets ,
and they’ve allready obliterated every native species anyway. :unknown:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 6:40 am

"In Victoria i can own a spotlight but i may not “possess” a spotlight. "

At night in declared deer habitat ( with a loaded rifle too)

Reason
Its illegal to use a spotlight or Night Vision gear to shoot deer in SF.

Get all the facts here

But its ok on farms with permission.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Jan 2021, 8:27 am

Thanks buddy :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 10 Jan 2021, 8:40 am

Yes Womble mate , and the laws are only going to get weirder as the downward pressure on gun laws increases, ferals ''even in the 2 legged form'' have more rights than humans
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2021, 10:30 am

You don't need it so don't bother renewing it, if you are not actually hunting deer you are fine.

womble wrote:It’s not a permit or a licence and it’s not mandatory. It costs about 10 bucks a year.
So it’s documentation you can provide if queried why you carry a small caliber rifle in “deer habitat”

Quotations because apparently nobody updates the deer themselves where their habitat is. Because from what I’ve seen they go wherever the f*** they want.
And until some weirdo vegan legislator passes some laws that deer must abide by, technically they can.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Jan 2021, 2:08 pm

Correct, you don’t need it. I still have it and carry it on me.
One day, the button man might ask me a lot of questions. He wants to know if I’m supposed to be there or not.
I don’t want him concluding that I’m not.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 3:27 pm

Fundamentally all law is becoming more complex.
And usually for good reason. BUT makes it pretty hard to keep up with it all.

Shooting Law
Fishing Law
Hunting Law
Boating Law
Industrial relations Law
Driving/road Law
OHS Law

And each state, in most cases varies.
LOL It just isn't easy any more.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Mar 2021, 4:15 pm

womble wrote:Correct, you don’t need it. I still have it and carry it on me.
One day, the button man might ask me a lot of questions. He wants to know if I’m supposed to be there or not.
I don’t want him concluding that I’m not.

As it is not a permit it does not give you permission to be there anyway. Public land is ours to use in any lawful way that doesn't affect other peoples use of it. Unless an officer has some evidence indicating you do not have lawful reason to be there, you can be there. You are allowed to hunt pest animals, you are allowed to carry an air-rifle for the purpose.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 21 Mar 2021, 6:32 am

womble: "It’s not a permit or a licence and it’s not mandatory. It costs about 10 bucks a year.
So it’s documentation you can provide if queried why you carry a small caliber rifle in “deer habitat”"

I rang the DEWLP late last year about obtaining such a permit from them after my licence was renewed. [My farm is large enough that I am registered on the basis of my property being suitable for shooting.] I was told that, as I already had a current licence, I did not need a $10.00 permit from DEWLP as the permit from DEWLP was instituted so that shooters who had no where else to shoot could demonstrate to the Registry that they would have a place to hunt and thus obtain a licence. Further, being a registered shooter I could shoot pests in state forests on the basis of my shooting licence issued by the Registry.

As for 'recognised deer habitat' - my area south of Ballarat is not a recognised deer habitat last I asked DEWLP, though there are mobs of red and sambar all around.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 7:50 am

Not sure how old this is.

Resized_Recognised-deer-habitat.jpeg
Resized_Recognised-deer-habitat.jpeg (252.38 KiB) Viewed 10464 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Mar 2021, 8:25 am

The firearm licence allows you to shoot on public lands, but is not required for hunting pests, lots of people hunt pests with bows, without any kind of licence or permit.

NTSOG wrote:womble: "It’s not a permit or a licence and it’s not mandatory. It costs about 10 bucks a year.
So it’s documentation you can provide if queried why you carry a small caliber rifle in “deer habitat”"

I rang the DEWLP late last year about obtaining such a permit from them after my licence was renewed. [My farm is large enough that I am registered on the basis of my property being suitable for shooting.] I was told that, as I already had a current licence, I did not need a $10.00 permit from DEWLP as the permit from DEWLP was instituted so that shooters who had no where else to shoot could demonstrate to the Registry that they would have a place to hunt and thus obtain a licence. Further, being a registered shooter I could shoot pests in state forests on the basis of my shooting licence issued by the Registry.

As for 'recognised deer habitat' - my area south of Ballarat is not a recognised deer habitat last I asked DEWLP, though there are mobs of red and sambar all around.

Jim
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 21 Mar 2021, 10:37 am

Thanks for posting the map of 'recognised deer habitat' Oldbloke. My area [Golden Plains Shire] is not listed on that map as recognised habitat, but obviously no one has told the deer. There have been quite a few blokes going around poaching the blighters for some 12-15 years now whether on farms or in the pine plantations. The deer haven't helped themselves as they are often seen out on open paddocks in the early morning or later afternoon.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 03 Jul 2021, 4:35 am

Contracting to and working for DELWP in the Nth East and high country Felling hazard trees along access and In public spaces this was bought up in conversation earlier in the year where we were informed that a game licence for any species/technique is authority to hunt/cull predators and pest species on public/crown land reserved for hunting , otherwise one needs permission from DELWP to go after predators and pests.

If your not hunting a calibre regulated species then as for mention the PCA 1986 would provide polarising views on minimums.....
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control