2 guns on a hunt?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

2 guns on a hunt?

Post by Patty93 » 18 Jan 2017, 9:34 am

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone carried 2 guns on a hunt? More specifically on a backpack hunt going a considerable distance from a vehicle for multiple nights?

I have been thinking of going out with a .308 for my target game but carrying an air rifle to assist with food collection/pest management during the hunt. Has anyone tried this or got any opinions before I start planning to make this a thing?

Regards

Patty.
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 2 guns on a hunt?

Post by wrenchman » 18 Jan 2017, 9:53 am

i dont no your laws there but that is real common here in the states 22s air rifles or shot guns for small game.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2017, 10:14 am

Patty93 wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone carried 2 guns on a hunt? More specifically on a backpack hunt going a considerable distance from a vehicle for multiple nights?

I have been thinking of going out with a .308 for my target game but carrying an air rifle to assist with food collection/pest management during the hunt. Has anyone tried this or got any opinions before I start planning to make this a thing?

Regards

Patty.

When I was younger I used to go out all day, almost every day, on foot covering several thousand acres of farmland. I would always take a centrefire rifle (.222, .243 or 6.5x55mm), and also either my 10/22, or pump shotgun - occasionally I took all three. I'd have to meet the starlings and galahs twice a day as they came over the fencelines with the shotgun. The .22 was handy to finish off any that weren't killed immediately, and also for rabbits when walking along the creeks. The centrefire was for the crows and for covering the fox dens and rabbit warrens out to 300m. One night, walking home after being out since before dawn, I had to drop a rabbit off my belt every fifty yards or so just to keep going, and also had to leave my rifles and other gear behind on the trek to be recovered when I went out again the next day - the most exhausted I've ever been in my life.

I like the idea of carrying a second rifle just to ensure I'm not totally buggered up by some sort of failure with my primary rifle. But I'm not so young now and just can't be arsed lugging about the extra weight. I carry reduced loads in every caliber I own for just those situations you mentioned. But if I were to drop my rifle and smash the scope, or break a trigger, extractor or firing pin, then it just becomes a recce for next time :-)

I have a breakdown 1930's Cooey Ace-1 .22 that very easily fits into a pack and weighs bugger all. I can carry that as a bit of a "survival rifle" without even knowing I've got it, but I don't think I'd ever choose to use it if my primary was still functional.
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 Jan 2017, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 18 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

Dont think there would be any legal problems, as long as the two guns are not left laying ages away from where you are. Think its a good idea and it means you will always have a gun for the job.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 18 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Stuff that, one centrefire rifle is enough for me to lug around over hills!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Heckler303 » 18 Jan 2017, 11:49 am

On an average hunt, I'll always have someone behind me carrying a Lee Enfield of some kind no matter what we're hunting for. Even if I'm just bowling wallabies with the .22. You never know when it might come in handy.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Jan 2017, 11:56 am

What you need is a buddy who only owns a .22. You take the rifle that you need and he can take care of the tucker, problem solved.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Jan 2017, 12:13 pm

bentaz wrote:Buy a combo gun and just carry that!

Exactly, plenty of good quality accurate combos out there. Another option is a switch barrel though that has an overhead swapping over and resetting the scope. If on foot which doesn't happen much these days I'll generally carry the Mossburg 12ga and a centre fire of sorts, the further the walk the lighter I go in rifles.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2017, 12:52 pm

bentaz wrote:Buy a combo gun and just carry that!

+1
12 or 20g shotgun over a 308 or similar is what I would go for.

Or if you can hit the target game with a 12g slug just take various ammo.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

Carrying two rifles just seems like a lot of hard work and bother on a long walk. Combo seems like the best option.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 18 Jan 2017, 2:45 pm

Never.

I don't hunt birds, no need to carry a shotty.

CBF carrying a second rifle.

Just my 7mm-08. I take half a dozen rounds of my 140gr and 120gr loads. Stalk with the 140gr's in the box and can drop in a 120gr if something smaller (than deer) crosses my path for a bit less report/damage.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jan 2017, 4:58 pm

Lorgar wrote:Never.

I don't hunt birds, no need to carry a shotty.

CBF carrying a second rifle.

Just my 7mm-08. I take half a dozen rounds of my 140gr and 120gr loads. Stalk with the 140gr's in the box and can drop in a 120gr if something smaller (than deer) crosses my path for a bit less report/damage.

Yeah, good option.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 18 Jan 2017, 7:12 pm

no :shock: , long walk carrying two guns :shock: , plus your water(2-3 liters), bit of trail mix for food, bit of ammo ,up and down hills, then you shoot something and want to take a couple of legs plus the back straps back home or maybe just the head for a trophy but you get bitten by a snake and die :violin: because you left your epirp and first aid kit home as they weighed too much and you were cutting down to carry an extra gun that you will most likely never use :allegedly: :twisted:

but that's just my 2cents :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jan 2017, 7:07 am

I often take my 12g SB Boito out with me when whistling foxes - it's light and no dramas to carry around and has proven to be a good idea at times with some foxes showing up in unexpected places (ie right next to me) in which case the shotgun is the best option to take a running shot with.

I don't find it an issue to do it this way, if I had a combo gun I would use that but I don't so I make do with this set up, it's not like I'm walking miles and miles, generally it's park the vehicle, walk 10 paces whistle and see what runs in. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 7:47 am

If you are going out to hunt with a particular "target species" that you are after, then carry the gun intended for that game and shoot only at that game. Firing shots at any old species that happens along is a sure way to not get your game. That's not "hunting", that's shooting.
How often do we hear the comment "didn't see any (insert game animal) but I shot a couple of (insert name of other animal) that I came across".
Sitting around camp putting holes in beer cans and trees doesn't auger well for a successful hunt. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2017, 8:12 am

Gamerancher wrote:If you are going out to hunt with a particular "target species" that you are after, then carry the gun intended for that game and shoot only at that game. Firing shots at any old species that happens along is a sure way to not get your game. That's not "hunting", that's shooting.
How often do we hear the comment "didn't see any (insert game animal) but I shot a couple of (insert name of other animal) that I came across".
Sitting around camp putting holes in beer cans and trees doesn't auger well for a successful hunt. :allegedly:

I'm old-school rural. I'd happily miss out on a deer if it meant taking out a fox or a cat.
I consider it a duty to control feral animals, and that comes before enjoying a recreational hunt.
If I went looking for deer but came back with a fox and no deer, I'd still consider that a very successful day out.
Besides, the game doesn't run that far away when they hear a shot, it just means a bit more walking and/or waiting.

I'm assuming by the word "hunting" you are referring to game rather than pest animals.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Jan 2017, 8:21 am

Yeah mate, that was the point I was trying to make. There's hunting, and then there is shooting. I've done plenty of both.

The original poster spoke of "target game".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jan 2017, 8:46 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 20 Feb 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by WhelanLad » 19 Jan 2017, 12:02 pm

hi mate... make some trail boss loads with a little cast slug or such, might be able to tailor something that goes pop an shoots good to 30m or so (maybe out well further) with the scope left for your full power load zero..or minimal movements.

it can be done..
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WhelanLad » 19 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

we'll need a handgun license soon for self defence against the cross bred dogs out there soon.. that will tick-le your box hey
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 19 Jan 2017, 3:53 pm

tom604 wrote:no :shock: , long walk carrying two guns :shock: , plus your water(2-3 liters), bit of trail mix for food, bit of ammo ,up and down hills, then you shoot something and want to take a couple of legs plus the back straps back home or maybe just the head for a trophy but you get bitten by a snake and die :violin: because you left your epirp and first aid kit home as they weighed too much and you were cutting down to carry an extra gun that you will most likely never use :allegedly: :twisted:

but that's just my 2cents :lol: :thumbsup:

....s**t mate, thats cheery :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2017, 5:06 pm

Sooo, what's the target game?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 20 Jan 2017, 10:04 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Jan 2017, 10:15 am

Boy you must go on extended trips! Considering even my little sister (55kgs) was able to carry enough food for a two week hike in South-west Tasmania.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2017, 10:18 am

happyhunter wrote:By the sounds of some of the posts some people have never been more than a couple hours away from their vehicle or camp. You can only carry so much water and food and there comes a point where you have to start finding it.

When I was a youngster I never took any food or water out with me when I went out from dawn to dark. I drank from the creeks, but I can't recommend that these days without using a life straw or some sort of filter. I had diarrhea for ten days last time I drank from the Torrens in SA in 2006 - farmers are flooding the rivers with chemicals nowadays.

I carry three or four liters on my belt and four or five liters in my pack in eight one-liter bottles.
There're usually creeks somewhere near most bushland, and farmland always has water - but you need a filter of course.
Half-a-dozen cans of fish and a dozen muesli or oat bars will last me three days, much longer if I was desperate.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

Gamerancher wrote:Boy you must go on extended trips! Considering even my little sister (55kgs) was able to carry enough food for a two week hike in South-west Tasmania.

When my girlfriend was in school she and a friend hiked six weeks across NSW/Victoria - I have the newspaper clipping :-)

My neighbour did a three or four day hike through Wilson's Prom a couple weeks back and it was a constant job to find water as none was marked.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WhelanLad » 20 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

Most guys I know who do similar extent of hunt without the vehicle all clued onto back country meals a while ago, finding the ones that you don't mind eating is trial an error but its easy to have 10+ days of food in a reasonably small package, which is heaps.
I get what ya wanting to do though and its the great white hunters dream to do so, but the 308 will cleanly take a rabbits head off an theres good abundance of game in most regions of Australia that you would be able to hunt down a young animal and take what meat you need, if you feel the lack of meat is a problem.. in the bush trophy stags can also be eatin, not uncommon an if needed a backstrap is as good as anything..

for 3-4 days or so I can carry around 22kg comfy and up to but not much more than 25kg , this includes a 7mm08 (2.7kg) a tent an sleeping, plus Water - water is heavy but if you're confident you can find it up there / out there , then it can aid in more room for back country style meals or a few extra nibblies.

horses for courses though everyones criteria varies, some are not wrong nor are others right... the whole backpack game is to be tailored to your needs and not someone elses opinionated needs.

to be frank , two guns is silly unless the other is of ultra light weight and the main rifle is in 'ultralight' class.
Two loads for one gun is the lightest option to it, Canadian I know will load 'squib' loads for popping grouse out of trees or squirrels with a 338 winmag , which sounds like that's what you want to do :D :P ;)
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Archie » 20 Jan 2017, 4:00 pm

https://www.packrifle.com/

Website says 15.5oz so that's a touch under half a kilo I think.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 20 Jan 2017, 8:34 pm

Combo rifle and shotgun
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 21 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm

Archie wrote:https://www.packrifle.com/

Website says 15.5oz so that's a touch under half a kilo I think.

These are an impressive little package, Magnum Sports has them in stock and I've had a play with one. The only drawback is the price tag, around $350 would be acceptable but at $895 it's just not worth it. Chiappa X-Caliber is a very good option being a 12ga / 22LR combo and there's a set of 8 barrel inserts that adds 10 more calibers.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control