Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2020, 6:57 pm

ABC report on dingoes. Just out yesterday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-09/ ... s/12132636
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 10 Apr 2020, 7:10 pm

Hear that clap trap plenty before OB, one station I went to not that long ago had 100s of donks, tonnes of other s**t and more dead cattle than alive, I will let you guess what they don't allow the shooting of there ........
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2020, 6:14 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2020, 7:25 pm

I know a cattle grazier on the northern side of the fence that loves the fact that he has so many dingoes keeping the roo numbers in check. If 10 dogs turn up on your place , after a while you can shoot trap or poison 9 of them ... but if ten thousand Roos turn up for your fresh green pick thes nothing u can do about it but watch them eat it all
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 28 Apr 2020, 7:52 pm

We shouldn't forget that they are not talking about the pure bred dingo as they would like you to believe, as you would be hard pressed to find many left in the wild ,While these do-gooders stand around patting themselves on the back, and failing to explain the facts (1) the dingo-X far out numbers the pure dingo and the X will kill for the sake of killing after they've eaten ,(2) lets look at the ''explosion'' of roo's mentioned , years ago people ate roo ,it was a staple diet for those that couldn't afford or get meat thus reducing numbers, then in their own wisdom they protected the roo putting the roo shooters and leather producers out of business, then the roo meat industry began and was over before it developed into something worth while , the roo basically doesn't have a predator that can control the numbers because dogs will kill the easiest prey they can get and sheep and calves are those prey, roo are targeted by the dog when there are no other easy prey around as dogs are opportunists ,you can only shoot roo unless you are licenced( which today isn't worth while because of costs and returns) then there is the permit to shoot if in drought or it is deemed an over populated area then a permit can be applied for and even a limit is put on the amount of roo's you can cull , so lets not just blame the shooting of dogs for the explosion in roo numbers. I've trapped, shot and poisoned dogs since I was at primary school for the bounty then in later on I observed how damaging the dog was , they killed all the koalas around where I lived , stock, family pets, poultry you name it, it killed it , I also watched while growing up the change from the dingo to the more lethal X-breed and looking back on it as the change from pure to X-bred the killing took an up rise in numbers and the eating of the carcass didn't ''ie '' 1 out of 5 stock killed were eaten, all this stuff about the benefits of having the '' dingo'' has been looked into for years but what they have now is a more cunning and lethal animal in the Dingo-X they came to the conclusion that the cat and the dog were putting great pressure on the Quoll, ground birds, lizards, echidnas, and many more so I am at a loss to why they would keep costing the tax payer money when they just have to open their eyes and take notice , see how many farmers have been ruined by the dog, the kill rate per year ,It's very clear to most on the land ( where it matters ) that wild dogs are a threat to livestock, fauna, also domestic pets and poultry and last but not least humans. I've used whatever caliber I had at the time to shoot dogs with good success although I mainly use a 22-250 when targeting dogs but at times still what ever I have at the time in hand.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 02 May 2020, 11:12 pm

The .223 is fine for wild dogs but you will get the occasional failure regardless of bullet. The 22/250 is just better with more velocity and whack. The .243 is no doubt the best calibre for dogs - good range and plenty enough whack.

Sure, I use a 25/06 and can knock them flat at any range I can hit them. And it's not affected by the wind as much as the smaller calibres.

For foxes and the occasional dog, with cheaper shooting, my choice would be a .223.

It really depends on the ranges you want to kill them at.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control