"War on Feral Cats"

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

"War on Feral Cats"

Post by 308cool » 19 Feb 2017, 4:08 pm

Hi,
Just saw this article: http://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-f ... ucp4o.html
Any chance they would bring it bounties? $5m doesn't seem like much for a huge problem...
Cheers
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: "War on Feral Cats"

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2017, 5:18 pm

If our government was serious about the problem there would be a bounty on ALL feral pests and baits for rabbits, foxes, dogs and cats would be heavily subsidized.

Instead it seems that they find giving extremely large amounts of money to foreign aid and the UN far more important.
Those charitable donations by the way, provide absolutely no economic benefits to our country what so ever.

If there was a bounty, Id be hitting them harder.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Feb 2017, 5:00 am

Feral cats are a big problem here in the USA too, not the problem feral hogs are but still a problem. The feral cats hunt and kill ground nesting birds, except "resident geese", and even cause a fair number of "song birds" to end life prematurely. The biggest problem to handling feral cats is most of the urban population sees them as "pets gone wild" instead of vermin. People in the countryside can deal with them as they desire, and the coyotes also help in controlling them.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 20 Feb 2017, 6:51 am

There is Buckley's and none of wiping the feral cat population in rural and forest areas. There are as many feral cats as foxes in the area I live and all the control they put into foxes hasn't worked so I doubt a program that targets cats is going to make much difference. I'll just keep shooting as many as I can for the feel good factor.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Feb 2017, 7:56 am

on_one_wheel wrote:If our government was serious about the problem there would be a bounty on ALL feral pests and baits for rabbits, foxes, dogs and cats would be heavily subsidized.

Instead it seems that they find giving extremely large amounts of money to foreign aid and the UN far more important.
Those charitable donations by the way, provide absolutely no economic benefits to our country what so ever.

If there was a bounty, Id be hitting them harder.

hahaha yup... we're a bunch of twits....'we' according to the DFAT website a few yrs back, had proudly funded 1,000 islamic schools.... in INDONESIA....

The question is why. why. oh why would we do that, especially considering where that money, as well as the remainder of the $5Billion odd AID funding (thats A.I.D. not aid!!)...... COULD have been spent domestically 'fixing' our local problems...

Yes. just imagine if there was SOME support of the recreational hunters, a smidge of financial incentive and encouragement of the sport/passtime..... what would our feral problem look like today.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control