Safety of eating wild goats and pigs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Safety of eating wild goats and pigs?

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

This came up in conversation today, while organising a hunting trip and one of the guys coming along is a butcher by trade and would be happy to butcher the carcass but would not consume the meat himself. That opinion also counted me out.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2021, 8:42 pm

Pfft. That means bugger all in my books.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2021, 9:13 pm

Little bit of goat, some pork. Fair bit of deer. Still alive Nearly died carrying a fallow stag up a steep hill
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2021, 9:40 pm

I think few people understand risk very well. They get all excited about just a few people out of a million or so having blood clots, that might kill you after getting the covid vaccine and forget that about 2% of people die of covid, if you catch it.

Same here, man has been eating wild game for millennia with only rare instances of catching a disease that in most cases modern medicine can cure.

Just basic hygiene, cook it well and don't worry, she'll be right mate.

Same about snake bites, sheesh only 2 or 3 people a year die of them in this country yet people waste their time worrying about snakes. They would be better worrying about bees, traffic, ladders at home and going boating.

P.S. Or an angry mistress. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 06 Apr 2021, 12:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think few people understand risk very well. They get all excited about just a few people out of a million or so having blood clots, that might kill you after getting the covid vaccine and forget that about 2% of people die of covid, if you catch it.

Same here, man has been eating wild game for millennia with only rare instances of catching a disease that in most cases modern medicine can cure.

Just basic hygiene, cook it well and don't worry, she'll be right mate.

Same about snake bites, sheesh only 2 or 3 people a year die of them in this country yet people waste their time worrying about snakes. They would be better worrying about bees, traffic, ladders at home and going boating.

P.S. Or an angry mistress. Lol

I'm definitely scared of my wife when she's angry , especially after my snake has bitten her hahah.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 06 Apr 2021, 1:07 pm

bigpete wrote:Pfft. That means bugger all in my books.

I am just erring on the side of caution.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 06 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

I’m a meat inspector and I have eaten heaps of them and would continue to do so.. I would also help you prepare as many oysters as you wanted but wouldn’t eat one of the bloody things.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2021, 6:11 am

Good for you. But your not me. As I said I will always err on the side of caution. Plenty of mates will tuck into wild goat, pig etc but not me. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 07 Apr 2021, 7:07 am

Bugman wrote:Good for you. But your not me. As I said I will always err on the side of caution. Plenty of mates will tuck into wild goat, pig etc but not me. :)

Do what you like.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2021, 8:16 am

I certainly will.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mic Banshee » 21 Apr 2021, 1:54 pm

Re Q-fever.. caught from blood, lactating glands, other fluids or dust off the skin of grazing animals. QVax is worth getting. My tests (2 of them blood and skin tests) were inconclusive so I couldn't get the vax so have to wear gloves and P95 mask while I skin and dress.

Re: Goats - I stay away from young ones with the scours - just a hygene thing. All that s*** on their back end is more likely to contaminate your dressed meat. I wash meat in vinegar before I bag it to remove any foreign material that comes of the ground or their coats.

Re Pigs: Wouldn't eat one but personal choice. Have a mate who just loves the stuff.
mic Banshee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 25 Apr 2021, 5:22 pm

So I've possibly got an opportunity soon to go shoot some pigs that are apparently causing some havoc on a friend of a friends property.

I hate wasting things and I'm keen to fill the freezer, so would like to grab some meat, and at the very least some fat to render down.

Having enough health issues to deal with as it is I'm keen to take proper precautions, but decent free range meat is something that will also be very beneficial for my health. I've never stressed to much about goats or deer (haven't done many of either, and always deer shot by others unfortunately), but never had the opportunity to deal with wild pigs so never given it much thought.

The info I've taken from this thread is that any real issue with pigs will be in the gut cavity, so I thought of not gutting but just grabbing rear and/or front quarters, and possibly get some fat or backstraps from the back of them.

Does this sound like it's reasonable thinking? If doing this, you think I should just grab them with skin on and worry about that later or try skinning down the part I'm grabbing while avoiding opening up the gut cavity?

If you can't tell, I'm not the most experienced game butcher. I think I've done like 3 or 4 animals in total, and a fair amount of time in between each of those
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 25 Apr 2021, 9:44 pm

By all means do this. If you have a few pigs to choose from just ripping off the legs will save a lot of trouble. Skin them carefully and keep the dirty hand on the skin side and a clean knife on the meat side. If dirt or hair from the skin gets on the meat trimming it off is preferable to washing unless you have a lot of water handy. Cut the trotters off and chuck it in the esky. It will be fine.there is far greater risk from handling contamination than from anything the pig has. Don’t be worried about the wormy pig stories, even white pigs have worms.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Apr 2021, 10:18 pm

Personally I'd be leaving pigs right where they fall... not keen on TB

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... nting.aspx
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 25 Apr 2021, 10:32 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Personally I'd be leaving pigs right where they fall... not keen on TB

You mean brucellosis?
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 25 Apr 2021, 10:43 pm

Thanks guys. My understanding of brucellosis is that it's find in warmer areas-NT, QLD and northern NSW. Is that correct?

I would be down near Cooma area, so southern NSW if that makes any difference with brucellosis risk.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Apr 2021, 11:14 pm

deanp100 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Personally I'd be leaving pigs right where they fall... not keen on TB

You mean brucellosis?

No I, meant TB, Pigs can carry so many different strains of bad bacteria, pathogens and other nasties their filthy bastards.
Yes I noticed my link was referring to brucellosis,
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 26 Apr 2021, 10:12 am

I thought TB was only a risk if opening the gut/lung cavity
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 26 Apr 2021, 11:04 am

disco stu wrote:I thought TB was only a risk if opening the gut/lung cavity

Pretty true. TB is caused by a bacteria. If they do catch the, which is rare it is generally avian Tb. Generally then found in the lymph nodes and organs. Avian tb is then harder to spread to humans and cooking your meat reduces it further.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Morsie » 05 Nov 2021, 10:05 am

Just this week filled the freezer with goat front and back legs. The shoulders in a slow cooker or a tagine style cooker are fantstic. My wife has a spicy Moroccan style goat recipe that is sensational. Shoulders are the best cut in my view. There is a way of preparing billy goat legs as preserved meat like a prosciutto. I have a friend in the west who has done it and claims its fantastic. There are a couple of Italian guys on Youtube who do it with goat and sheep legs and call it Halal prosciutto. I'm clearing out a space for a new meat aging fridge and next winter I plan on making some of this, will probably also do it with the legs off a small porker.
Morsie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control