Safety of eating wild goats and pigs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Safety of eating wild goats and pigs?

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

This came up in conversation today, while organising a hunting trip and one of the guys coming along is a butcher by trade and would be happy to butcher the carcass but would not consume the meat himself. That opinion also counted me out.
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2021, 8:42 pm

Pfft. That means bugger all in my books.
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2021, 9:13 pm

Little bit of goat, some pork. Fair bit of deer. Still alive Nearly died carrying a fallow stag up a steep hill
Blr243
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2021, 9:40 pm

I think few people understand risk very well. They get all excited about just a few people out of a million or so having blood clots, that might kill you after getting the covid vaccine and forget that about 2% of people die of covid, if you catch it.

Same here, man has been eating wild game for millennia with only rare instances of catching a disease that in most cases modern medicine can cure.

Just basic hygiene, cook it well and don't worry, she'll be right mate.

Same about snake bites, sheesh only 2 or 3 people a year die of them in this country yet people waste their time worrying about snakes. They would be better worrying about bees, traffic, ladders at home and going boating.

P.S. Or an angry mistress. Lol
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by Robin » 06 Apr 2021, 12:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think few people understand risk very well. They get all excited about just a few people out of a million or so having blood clots, that might kill you after getting the covid vaccine and forget that about 2% of people die of covid, if you catch it.

Same here, man has been eating wild game for millennia with only rare instances of catching a disease that in most cases modern medicine can cure.

Just basic hygiene, cook it well and don't worry, she'll be right mate.

Same about snake bites, sheesh only 2 or 3 people a year die of them in this country yet people waste their time worrying about snakes. They would be better worrying about bees, traffic, ladders at home and going boating.

P.S. Or an angry mistress. Lol

I'm definitely scared of my wife when she's angry , especially after my snake has bitten her hahah.
Robin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 06 Apr 2021, 1:07 pm

bigpete wrote:Pfft. That means bugger all in my books.

I am just erring on the side of caution.
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 06 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

I’m a meat inspector and I have eaten heaps of them and would continue to do so.. I would also help you prepare as many oysters as you wanted but wouldn’t eat one of the bloody things.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2021, 6:11 am

Good for you. But your not me. As I said I will always err on the side of caution. Plenty of mates will tuck into wild goat, pig etc but not me. :)
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 07 Apr 2021, 7:07 am

Bugman wrote:Good for you. But your not me. As I said I will always err on the side of caution. Plenty of mates will tuck into wild goat, pig etc but not me. :)

Do what you like.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Apr 2021, 8:16 am

I certainly will.
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control