Feral goat hunting spots in NSW

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Feral goat hunting spots in NSW

Post by relinquish » 11 Mar 2017, 6:17 pm

Anyone know which state forests in NSW are good for hunting feral goat?

And any advice on what tactics to use?

Thanks
relinquish
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Feral goat hunting spots in NSW

Post by Tom Foolery » 24 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

relinquish wrote:Anyone know which state forests in NSW are good for hunting feral goat?

Quite a few. A large scrubby one comes to mind. Which part of NSW are you thinking?

relinquish wrote:And any advice on what tactics to use?

Thanks

If it's very hot and dry they will come for a drink, often mid afternoon. If you have the patience you can sit by the water and wait. When it's a bit cooler and or greener they get most of their water from their pick. Hence can be found a long way from water at times and tend to head for high ground. You'll often find them at the top of hills and bluffs. Really they're not complicated animals and if you do a bit of reading on goats and spend some time out hunting you'll work then out pretty quickly. Look for sign and smell for them. You can actually smell goat when they're there in numbers.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:If it's very hot and dry they will come for a drink, often mid afternoon. If you have the patience you can sit by the water and wait. When it's a bit cooler and or greener they get most of their water from their pick. Hence can be found a long way from water at times and tend to head for high ground. You'll often find them at the top of hills and bluffs. Really they're not complicated animals and if you do a bit of reading on goats and spend some time out hunting you'll work then out pretty quickly. Look for sign and smell for them. You can actually smell goat when they're there in numbers.

Smell is one thing that I'm sure many hunters use without even realising.
I lost my sense of smell at age seven so I don't even remember what things smell like. But my girlfriend can smell when foxes have been through the garden and around the blackberry bushes while I'm picking up nothing :-(
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 24 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm

Yep, you can smell goats from some distance wind permitting (Very sorry to hear that BR, but I must say I'm curious why not bladeracer ?) agree same goes for foxes, scent wise btw.... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2017, 10:37 pm

darwindingo wrote:Yep, you can smell goats from some distance wind permitting (Very sorry to hear that BR, but I must say I'm curious why not bladeracer ?) same goes for foxes scent wise btw.... :thumbsup:

Adenoid and tonsil surgery in Alice Springs - somebody screwed up.
I have no concept of smell so it's not something that greatly bothers me :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

At least he can say that his sh-t doesn't stink........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2017, 4:18 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:At least he can say that his sh-t doesn't stink........

Nobody's s**t stinks for me :-)
I'm not entirely convinced that smell is actually a thing, I mostly consider it a long running joke that people are playing on me!

It has been useful occasionally as I can happily go into places where the stench is overwhelming for most. I tend to just get an oily feeling on my tongue if I spend some time in an area of incredible stench.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 25 Mar 2017, 6:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Adenoid and tonsil surgery in Alice Springs - somebody screwed up.
I have no concept of smell so it's not something that greatly bothers me :-)

Gee that's a pretty big screw up :thumbsdown:.. Some years ago when I first moved to the NT people would say if you need a band aid go to the hospital, but if you need surgery or any other serious care go to the airport. :shock: :problem:

bladeracer wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:
At least he can say that his sh-t doesn't stink........

Nobody's s**t stinks for me :-)
I'm not entirely convinced that smell is actually a thing, I mostly consider it a long running joke that people are playing on me!

It has been useful occasionally as I can happily go into places where the stench is overwhelming for most. I tend to just get an oily feeling on my tongue if I spend some time in an area of incredible stench.

I agree that would come in handy at times :thumbsup:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2017, 6:26 pm

darwindingo wrote:Gee that's a pretty big screw up :thumbsdown:.. Some years ago when I first moved to the NT people would say if you need a band aid go to the hospital, but if you need surgery or any other serious care go to the airport. :shock: :problem:

Probably, but I was flown down as an emergency from Tennant Creek :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 09 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm

Lets nose ( :lol: ) this thread along to the OP's query

To be selfish, I would like to know where there are feral goats as close to the Victorian border as I am in Melbourne and I am having a hell of a time finding goats here.

I am happy to travel for some fresh free range goat meat :)
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ben78 » 10 Apr 2017, 9:25 pm

relinquish wrote:Anyone know which state forests in NSW are good for hunting feral goat?

On the DPI website use your login to download harvest reports, then go down the list for the last 3 months and see which have goats reported in the harvest. I've seen goats listed for forests that I really didn't think would have goats (very coastal). Pretty much any forest west of the divide is going to have them though.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control