The .22WMR still has what it takes.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The .22WMR still has what it takes.

Post by Gwion » 25 Jul 2017, 8:55 am

Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:[

Totally agree.
A lot of people in Tas have then as the go-to rifle for wallaby.

I still think .22LR does the job fine. :problem:

WMR extended range and more emphatic kills over the 22lr. That's why I use both the LR and the 223 loaded with trailboss to just over WMR velocity.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

hope you start fealing better i have a marlin 882ss its a nice gun and shoots nice
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Jul 2017, 5:49 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:[

Totally agree.
A lot of people in Tas have then as the go-to rifle for wallaby.

I still think .22LR does the job fine. :problem:

WMR extended range and more emphatic kills over the 22lr. That's why I use both the LR and the 223 loaded with trailboss to just over WMR velocity.

Fine if you're shooting past 50M, nearly every wallaby I've encountered (that I then took out) was under that. Too much noise for some environments too. The regular subsonic 40grn .22LR still drops even big Bennetts fairly well. This is of course coming from landing headshots, not launching a pill into their chest cavity and waiting for a slow bleed out.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

Managed to drag myself to the range tonight as I had to get a pistol attendance registered to comply with the mandatory BS from the govt. fella. Took the new baby out and put 50 rounds down range to get a feel for it. Currently it has a Nikko Panamax 6-18x50 scope mounted cause that's what was spare on my shelf but seems clear enough so it'll do for now. The quality of the rifle is fantastic but at a premium price it should be though the mag (CZ) is junk, constantly failed to feed or jammed when loaded with 8 or more rounds. There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process. That's the only let down with the rifle and the below 5 shot group was replicated several times tonight using cheap bulk bought CCI Maxi Mag 40Gr HP ($190 for 500rnds). Might try some premium ammo and see if it performs any better and I might buy another brick of the CCI while the price is low.

@Elmer...what ammo does yours prefer?

IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG (323.64 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2017, 4:36 am

"There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process."

Sheeesh that's pretty poor.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 26 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:"There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process."

Sheeesh that's pretty poor.

It doesn't mention the 10 round CZ Mag but I'm thinking the fix should be similar....

http://www.lithgowarms.com/wp-content/migrate/2016/05/LA101_5-ROUND_MAGAZINE-MODIFICATION-INSTRUCTION_V1.pdf
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 26 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 26 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

Jeff303 wrote::friends: Great vids by the way. Always on the lookout for new ones

Glad you like the vids mate. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 26 Jul 2017, 10:46 pm

flashman wrote:I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D

Yup, its been around for over 50yrs so it must be doing something right ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

Yep damn this thread. Just put in a pta for a Stirling mod15 . :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 28 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:Managed to drag myself to the range tonight as I had to get a pistol attendance registered to comply with the mandatory BS from the govt. fella. Took the new baby out and put 50 rounds down range to get a feel for it. Currently it has a Nikko Panamax 6-18x50 scope mounted cause that's what was spare on my shelf but seems clear enough so it'll do for now. The quality of the rifle is fantastic but at a premium price it should be though the mag (CZ) is junk, constantly failed to feed or jammed when loaded with 8 or more rounds. There's an article on the Lithgow support site that details how to "Tune" the mag so it should be a quick and simple process. That's the only let down with the rifle and the below 5 shot group was replicated several times tonight using cheap bulk bought CCI Maxi Mag 40Gr HP ($190 for 500rnds). Might try some premium ammo and see if it performs any better and I might buy another brick of the CCI while the price is low.

@Elmer...what ammo does yours prefer?
It likes the Remington 40gn JHPs, even though Hornady 30vmax shoots a bit tighter the Rems are more consistent with few fliers.

IMG_3483.JPG
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 Jul 2017, 11:57 pm

Elmer wrote:
flashman wrote:I'll stick to my ruger rotory mags ,my in 22 mag works well shoots great can't complain ....All good.... :D

Sorry - getting at Brett

And y'know the BRNO/CZ magazines have been working almost flawlessly for over 60 years. So if they don't work in a "Johnny-cum-lately" Lithgow who touted that these foreign mags would work in their rifles and then they didn't - DAMN, MAN IT MUST BE THOSE FOREIGN MAGAZINES.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 29 Jul 2017, 11:05 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Sorry - getting at Brett

And y'know the BRNO/CZ magazines have been working almost flawlessly for over 60 years. So if they don't work in a "Johnny-cum-lately" Lithgow who touted that these foreign mags would work in their rifles and then they didn't - DAMN, MAN IT MUST BE THOSE FOREIGN MAGAZINES.

Fair point, definitely me bad for jumping on the mag as being at fault. Should have jumped more on Lithgow for not ensuring the mags was %100 compatible. I've tuned the mag and now it cycles perfectly :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

Should have jumped more on Lithgow for not ensuring the mags was %100 compatible. I've tuned the mag and now it cycles perfectly :)

That was my point earlier.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control