What gun to use for Goat hunting?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: What gun to use for Goat hunting?

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 4:59 pm

My old grandad told me something when i was upset and wanted to retaliate when my school mates said i was an idiot for staying and giving
grandad a hand in the dairy instead of going to play with them, truth known i had no choice in the matter

He told me not to worry about the name calling because its best to be thought an idiot than open my mouth and remove all doubt

Wise words something for some to ponder on

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 5:03 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Geez oldbloke if it was the other bits and you were looking deep into their eyes i would beeeee concerned ( lol )

Cheers mate

I'm hurt that you would think that. :cry:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm

I'm sorry mate it wasn't aimed at you it was a general statement, i should have said '' if it was the other bits and one was looking into their eyes '' we would be worried
for them , i do apologise mate

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 5:23 pm

I helped out at Mt Augustus Tourist resort in the Gascoyne for about 6 months a few years ago and we sold fuel.A bloke came through and stopped for fuel and told me he used to be the shooter on the station.I offered him a room for the night if he would come with me and give me a few pointers.He made a statement I will never forget that is"What others think of you is non of your business and if you care about what others think of you they are winning".This guy could shoot.He did stuff with my .222 that I did not think possible.I did not even see half the stuff he put down I just followed his instruction on holding the light.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 5:24 pm

:thumbsup: Thank you I feel a little more normal now.

To pull the thread back onto the subject.

I think that the 222 will be fine for smaller goats but inclined to think for bigger billies it might not be sufficient for chest shots. Perhaps others will have some real life experience to talk about in this area.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 5:33 pm

Hole-eee i just remembered what grandad said i won't ask what he done but his statemant was spot on

Cheers mate
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jul 2017, 6:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote::thumbsup: Thank you I feel a little more normal now.

To pull the thread back onto the subject.

I think that the 222 will be fine for smaller goats but inclined to think for bigger billies it might not be sufficient for chest shots. Perhaps others will have some real life experience to talk about in this area.

When in doubt shoot em in the head, if you can't achieve that don't shoot is how I look at it, better to let them live than wound them because I wasn't up to it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 30 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

I'd go the 303 bentaz
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 6:41 pm

Goat shooting what caliber?
My cousin used to shoot roos as a pro and he shot goats to sell as dog meat before they were worth money , he states he shot goats firstly with
a 222 but moved up to 22-250 so as not to wear out his 223 barrel he said that the 222 was ok but the proper bullet and a well presented shot was what
was needed the 22-250 was marginally better but moved up to his wifes 243 it was good but she cracked up because she said if anybody was going to
burn the barrel out it would be her so he bought a 308 bonza terminate every which way so that's a little bit of info

I know old mate had a list of what he had at his disposal but thought this info might be handy to someone

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

Straight from the SSAA web site.

hunting recommendations .png
hunting recommendations .png (128.77 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

Well thats very interesting poor old 308 doesn't get a mention but it would be interesting to see where its bench mark is

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Straight from the SSAA web site.

hunting recommendations .png

Hares at 100m with a .22RF? They must be referring to WMR.
200m for buffalo with a .270?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Well thats very interesting poor old 308 doesn't get a mention but it would be interesting to see where its bench mark is

Cheers

Those are "minimum calibers" but as usual, offer no means of what constitutes a "caliber" either less or more than those offered. Such charts should always relate to terminal energy and little else.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

That chart is about right.I could just about guarantee that more buffalo have been dispatched with the good old 303 than any other chambering.Back to the goats my .222 went through the chest and out the other side most of the time unless it broke ribs on the way in.The organs were always mush.A bigger bullet will do more damage,Depends what you wish to do with the carcass.A kangaroo I delivered in Carnarvon was rejected as I had shot it crouched and looking at me and the bullet had gone down the spinal column.Could not tell from the outside but the inside was ruined.They took a picture and showed me.One out of 2500 it happens.Never shot a goat with the 7mm Rem Mag or 308 so no idea how bad it will mess them up.both will definiately go right through and make a big exit hole.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 7:58 pm

It is only a suggested minimum caliber but buffalo at 200 mtrs with 270 ya wouldn't want to miss the stop button
Although missing it with any caliber could be dangerous but at 200mtrs it would give you a head start but with my knees i'd want 3000 mtrs
and a days notice

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 8:08 pm

:D
goat coat.rar
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
I needed to not blow a big hole in one side as you need both sides to make a goat coat :D
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 8:29 pm

duncan61 wrote::D
goat coat.rar
I needed to not blow a big hole in one side as you need both sides to make a goat coat :D

Before I download a link like that I want to know what it is.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 8:38 pm

On the buffalo subject.I feel compelled to share this yarn.When I did the N.T.Safari the main guide lived in the same town thats how I found an outfitter who gave me a 20 min CD showing hunters plugging Buffalo.I have never been to Arhnem land and Aussies get a pretty good deal compared to foreign visitors so I went.The guide was always on the look out for locals who had the potential to help him with his business but after this event I was out.His mate who helped out was guiding an Archer who stalked within 40 metres then took his shot but went to high and put it in the mass of muscle behind the head.You have to hit them just behind the front leg anyhoo this tourist has stood up and started walking back to the guide and the buff has seen him and charged.The guide has a rifle with 3x.416 Rigby and he said he put all 3 in its head as it charged them and the buffalo pulled up in the dirt so close blood spayed up to his waist.Thats me out
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 8:42 pm

Bentaz, I'd suggest the 222 is marginal. Not that I have hunted them but I have goats and I shot a sick nanny in the head with a 223 and 50gn bullet, back of the head a little to the left of the spine. Took a second shot to finish it off.

I'd go the 303 or Arisaka and take the high percentage shots.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 8:59 pm

Its only a picture of a goat coat but it is heaps better than mine.I tan the skin then cut holes for the arms where the front legs are and lace leather across the front so the back of the waist coat still has the ridgeline like the goat had.The sizes are relevant to the size of the goat.We mostly have Range land goats in Australia apparently
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 9:06 pm

Ihavent shot heaps but I have always used 3030 and later 30-06. . All dropped like rocks except 1. An old nanny, hit her with the 30-06 side on just behind the shoulder but low. She just stood there bleeding out with a hole I could put my fist through.
I finished her off and the heart was just about hanging out of the hole. What amazed me was she didn't even fall over.
No experience with 222 or similar.
I'm sure the majority will drop with a 222 but a bit extra oomph wouldn't hurt.
What about cast bullets in the 303 if range is expected to be close?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 10:01 pm

Great plan.When you asked this question were you aware that it would go this crazy.Let us know how you do
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

Use the 7.7 and take head/neck shots. Save meat and do the job properly. When head shooting things like goats it's good to remember they have specifically evolved to take heavy shock to the head. They are definitely tougher than domestic sheep. The same load I used drops my sheep instantly when I slaughter for the freezer. You might want something with a bit of a whack behind it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

Enjoy
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 31 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

Shot a lot with 308. Works well. Mate used to use a 22/250 and it was OK,but not that great on angling shots. Seen it blow a patch of hair off a big billy on an angling shot on more than one occasion
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

Shot plenty of em with my 22mag back in the day, worked ok with headshots but the 222 was a better performer.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southwest shooter » 31 Jul 2017, 11:11 am

25/06 .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous