What gun to use for Goat hunting?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: What gun to use for Goat hunting?

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 7:27 pm

They will all do the job.I have shot a lot with .222 and it will go through the heart lung area and do the least damage
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Jul 2017, 7:27 pm

.222 is plenty enough for goats, theyre pretty stupid animals so you should be right, standard hunting stuff about keeping down wind of them (you will smell them) and hunt around water first thing in the morning usually works.
Shoot a young nanny or kid for roasting!

Id avoid the shotgun unless its a lever, ive blasted 5 rounds into a mob a few times, you can often drop 2-3 before they bugger off.
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2017, 7:48 pm

303 or equivalent will be perfect. 222 will do the job too, but more precision will be required. I consider it the minimum. I shot a fair few years ago with 30-30 & 30-06 and all dropped like a rock.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by johnblackpigs » 29 Jul 2017, 8:06 pm

Pretty crappy comment about pumping a couple of five shots into a mob of goats before they bugger off ! How many goats went away with shot in them and to die later ?That is not the action of a hunter and brings a very bad mark on our sport . Think before you blast off again ,mouthwise and shotgun .
johnblackpigs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Jul 2017, 8:17 pm

johnblackpigs wrote:Pretty crappy comment about pumping a couple of five shots into a mob of goats before they bugger off ! How many goats went away with shot in them and to die later ?That is not the action of a hunter and brings a very bad mark on our sport . Think before you blast off again ,mouthwise and shotgun .

Take your own advice peanut, you have no idea what you are talking about, your reading comprehension is well below standard.
Bigjobss

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

Settle people.I can see both sides.JBP you were not there how can you know what happened and I have done it with a bloke I worked for out in the desert.We would walk up on a water hole then let them have it.With semiauto shotguns and 00/SG if they were hit they died on the spot or went down then the apprentice would go round terminating with a .22LR and the other tradesman had the .222 for any standing in range.I get your stance on wounding stuff but there was not enough detail given to assume that.Like I said I have done it.All the meat went to the local aborigional community
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

Edited.
I feel that I was attacked and took it personally.

For the record I have never shot goats with a shotgun.
My point was that unloading 5 rounds quickly is possible, and shooting 2-3 goats in a mob is common.
The insinuation that I am an unethical hunter is highly offensive.
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2017, 9:32 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Edited.

My point was that unloading 5 rounds quickly is possible, and shooting 2-3 goats in a mob is common.

Mate I reckon most of the members would have got this and ya got every right to be offended. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm

I read through the lines and totally got what you meant
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 12:27 am

Wow walking up to waterholes with semiauto shot guns, letting them have it and if they were hit they died on the spot or went down and were
dispatched later on
Then there's i've blasted 5 shots into a mob and you can usually get 2-3 before they bugger off
Well boys i do hear where your coming from but the way it has been said in itself it leaves me to wonder actually how ethical that way of shooting is
it sounds a little gungho but hey each to his own

I can understand you feel offended for being attacked but i can also see oldmate would also feel bad about being called a peanut
My advice would be if your not sure of the wording and what is meant by it just ask a few questions to clear things up it doesn't help to snarl back and forth

When applying for a professional shooters licence it is parramount to try and dispatch the animal with one shot although in the real world this may not always happen
So come on this is a fun forum where we can all learn a little more about hunting and shooting and maybe form online friendships
I haven't been a member for long but i've listened and spoke to some very nice people also learnt quiet a few things
I'm not new to shooting i'm a professional shooter and have been for many years
Maybe we all could choose our words a little better at times

So lets all lighten up and get on with things

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 12:49 am

Totally agree.The goat culling was something that was done and I participated in and fell in love with a 4 shot beretta.Within a very short time all the goats were dispatched.I was backing up another forum member who seemed to of had a similar experience.The topic is what to shoot goats with and a bullet to the brain is best but a chest shot will do it I have never done it but I believe the wallabies in Tasmania can be culled with shotguns and beating them out the bush and pushing them past shotgunners in position is considered to be an acceptable technique.I have a regulation 6 licence to take Kangaroos for sale and they all have to be taken with a shot to the brain.I like this forum and its good to share information I have learned a lot
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 12:52 am

grandadbushy wrote:So come on this is a fun forum where we can all learn a little more about hunting and shooting and maybe form online friendships

I'm sure we all want our forums to be this way, but the reality is that we are monitored by the authorities and the anti-gunners who are always looking for ammunition like this that can be used against us in their propaganda war.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:19 am

Winchester 00/SG is called Buck shot because in some states in America they use it on deer with semi autos.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jul 2017, 4:09 am

I could have shot hundreds of the things when I was out camping the other weekend, they were everywhere! I used to shoot em all the time with my 222 CMC Mountaineer, can't say I've ever thought of a shotgun as something I would choose to use to hunt them with but I guess with the appropriate ammo and some good common sense it would get the job done.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 7:46 am

Daddybang wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Edited.

Mate I reckon most of the members would have got this and ya got every right to be offended. :drinks:

:drinks:
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 7:53 am

duncan61 wrote:Totally agree.The goat culling was something that was done and I participated in and fell in love with a 4 shot beretta.Within a very short time all the goats were dispatched.I was backing up another forum member who seemed to of had a similar experience.The topic is what to shoot goats with and a bullet to the brain is best but a chest shot will do it I have never done it but I believe the wallabies in Tasmania can be culled with shotguns and beating them out the bush and pushing them past shotgunners in position is considered to be an acceptable technique.I have a regulation 6 licence to take Kangaroos for sale and they all have to be taken with a shot to the brain.I like this forum and its good to share information I have learned a lot

In my experience going after mobs has been simmilar to dam busting for ducks.
Always a bunch of responsible and skilled people with a common goal of helping out a farmer.
And yep you are on the money about wallabies, shotguns work well I have heard, I have an open invitation to join a mate of a mate doing exactly what you described, apparently the numbers down there are insane.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 7:59 am

grandadbushy wrote:Wow walking up to waterholes with semiauto shot guns, letting them have it and if they were hit they died on the spot or went down and were
dispatched later on
Then there's i've blasted 5 shots into a mob and you can usually get 2-3 before they bugger off
Well boys i do hear where your coming from but the way it has been said in itself it leaves me to wonder actually how ethical that way of shooting is
it sounds a little gungho but hey each to his own

I can understand you feel offended for being attacked but i can also see oldmate would also feel bad about being called a peanut
My advice would be if your not sure of the wording and what is meant by it just ask a few questions to clear things up it doesn't help to snarl back and forth

When applying for a professional shooters licence it is parramount to try and dispatch the animal with one shot although in the real world this may not always happen
So come on this is a fun forum where we can all learn a little more about hunting and shooting and maybe form online friendships
I haven't been a member for long but i've listened and spoke to some very nice people also learnt quiet a few things
I'm not new to shooting i'm a professional shooter and have been for many years
Maybe we all could choose our words a little better at times

So lets all lighten up and get on with things

Cheers

Thanks for your well intentioned reply and you do make some good points.
I do however reserve my right to call a peanut a peanut
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 9:14 am

There you go boys we've just had a very clear and straight forward chat WELL DONE and it shows that not everybody thinks the same or uses the same
rifles for taking the same game,once again well done

Also remember what was said earlier and remember it well '' ANTI GUN LOBBIEST WOULD LIKE TO GET HOLD OF STUFF LIKE THIS'' and use it as
argument for removing firearms

And with heated debates as earlier on we probably wouldn't have a case against them

And we are in AUSTRALIA not america, in most states in america their gun laws are probably more relaxed than ours so we can't compare them with us
after all a lot americans are allowed to carry hand guns you can't in australia

Anyway enough said Cheers to all and stay safe

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by wrenchman » 30 Jul 2017, 9:41 am

duncan i have shot a good number of deer with buck shot and if used right it is very good its just like jump shooting rabbits.
Lots of shooter or hunters think buck shot will have a huge spread and go all over it dont but every hunter should check the pattern of the loads.
buck shot tends not to pass threw and you will have multiple hits in the kill zone.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 9:46 am

wrenchman wrote:duncan i have shot a good number of deer with buck shot and if used right it is very good its just like jump shooting rabbits.
Lots of shooter or hunters think buck shot will have a huge spread and go all over it dont but every hunter should check the pattern of the loads.
buck shot tends not to pass threw and you will have multiple hits in the kill zone.

Correct. Typically SG patterns very tight.
As a general rule the bigger the shot the tighter the patterns.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 10:17 am

SG's do a wonderous job on wild dogs when the dog is in too close for the scope ( namely blurred out )
Some times when your watching a carcass and your sitting just inside the scrub line dogs don't see you and walk within 10 mtrs up wind of you
When you use sg's at those ranges on these calf killers the shot performs perfectly
Exactly what wrenchman said multiple hits to the kill zone due to the tight patterns as was said by oldbloke

No pain,no suffering on the part of the animal,its instant and a textbook ending

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Thats how it worked on the goats.It was in the mid 90s that I did this the bloke I worked for had a large assortment of rifles and shotguns and would come and see us in the camp and say do you blokes wanna go goat shooting.He had a browning 5 shot.I had the 4 shot Beretta.He was in the Army reserve and I had come out the full time in 1986 and the other plumber on .222 was an English ex para so we went all tactical.We would pattern the chest area for outright kills then as they were running away knock them down thats when the Apprentice would go terminating with the .22LR.The goats keep the sheep of the water and there are sheep carcasses all over the place The bow hunters for buffalo in the N.T. pop an arrow in the beast and then go away to let it die.In the morning you follow the birds and find the buff.I think thats pretty ordinary
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 11:50 am

I know this topic has gone way off the rails but a couple intersting points have been discussed.
1)Shotguns
They rule IMO and are a lot more versatile they than get credit for. Oh how I wish to have my old auto back.

2)Ethics.
We all agree that quick and humane is the aim, and there are grey areas in this.
It is a luxury that we have in our society to choose to hunt, in a survival or substenance situation what is ethical takes a back seat. Just look at some indigenous hunting around the world.
I was lucky enough to go along for a sea turtle hunt during Nadoc week a few years ago, that was a challenge for me for a number of reasons, but I am thankfull I hadbthe experience and am a little ashamed to admit that it tasted awesome.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

Oh and put your pitchforks down, I was an obserever not a participant.
Bigjobss

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

The best goat shooting I have done was the Sunday after the Sunday morning dam busting the boss let me take his .222 and explained to me what to do.I was brand new at hunting so he pointed me in the right direction.I staked out a drinking trough and waited for the goats.I was up on a ridge At 150 metres and the goats knew not where the shot was coming from.I stopped shooting when it got too hot and I had 5 goats to deal with.Its how I got into hunting again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

It was after this morning out I went and scored a property letter from the owner and purchased a greener falling block shotgun on my way home in Geraldton.I am going to start a duck shooting topic
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 30 Jul 2017, 1:05 pm

Not to take anything away from your skills but they are not the brightest animals are they? They tend to hang around wondering why all their mates are falling asleep suddenly.
Bigjobss

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

Have a good look in a domestic sheep or goats eyes.No one is home.Dairy cows are not much better there is just a flicker of something going on.Camels appear to have a bit going on.Cats and dogs big or small are switched on.You can see them thinking.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

duncan61 wrote:Have a good look in a domestic sheep or goats eyes.No one is home.Dairy cows are not much better there is just a flicker of something going on.Camels appear to have a bit going on.Cats and dogs big or small are switched on.You can see them thinking.

Summed up pretty well. But does that mean size doesn't matter. (the brain, not the other bits. :lol: )
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm

Geez oldbloke if it was the other bits and you were looking deep into their eyes i would beeeee concerned ( lol )

Cheers mate
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control