good day on the goats

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

good day on the goats

Post by tom604 » 24 Sep 2017, 9:31 pm

Hi All ,Thought that i would talk about a day that i had way back in February when i went on a cull,,don't usually write up about culls :silent: but what the heck , the day started well as when i and my hunting partner, we will call him "mountain elf" first got to our area we spotted goats high on a nearby ridge :thumbsup: . elf took the lead and loped up the near vertical slope while i took the rear guard. when i finally got to the top and recovered my breath we worked forward so that we could see the goats about sixty or so meters away, there were about seven or so goats that we could see, so on the signal we proceeded to rain hell down upon them :thumbsup: , well i will say started to, as just under the ridge that we were must of been another ten to fifteen goats and they came boiling out just in front of us :shock: , i almost weed a bit when they first appeared :oops: i will be honest here and say that i missed a couple of point blank shots by trying to look through the scope but we got a total of sixteen so not to bad :thumbsup: . after processing the goats we headed back down and onto another hill about a k away and from our vantage point we spied another group of of goats numbering about twenty or so near a rock face about another k away :cry: so of we went after them but by the time we had got to where they were they had traveled up a steep water course up to a high plateau :cry: at this time we spotted three goats on the hill that we had just left :evil: but decided to go after the larger mob, this is where the elf got his name,he effortlessly went from rock to rock like a mountain goat while i crawled around like a dwarf with smaller than average legs. :thumbsdown: , we decided to part ways ,he would continue up while i took out the three that were on the hill :thumbsup: off he scampered all grace and agility while i trudged the long way round so that i would come upon the goats on the hill from behind and above. i had just got to a spot on a ridge about eighty meters from where i thought the goats would be when a volley of shots rang out,elf had caught up with the first mob and was having a good time, i didn't know if the shots had spooked mine so i thought i would have lunch and give the goats a bit of time to calm down. i was just finishing lunch when i spied two goats coming down from the plateau just across from me :thumbsup: i just sat there as they made their way towards me and when they were about sixty or so yards away i took out the furthest one away from me, working on the idea that the one close to me would be easy pickings :thumbsup: ha as if :lol: that goat took off that fast that usain bolt would of been left in its dust, it went behind a rock and was gone :violin: , oh well i thought, that's screwed it for the other three. i looked over at where i thought they might of been and strike me lucky all three were standing there looking around :thumbsup: beauty, aim, fire, one down the others run,reload look up two standing looking around,aim, fire,another one down,feeling pretty good, find my brass look up, yep third one,aim fire ,all done. go to process the first goat i shot and have a look around, his mate is walking away along a line of rocks,not for long :thumbsup: five off the hill :clap: meanwhile the elf is still bombing the other group. so process those goats and what do i spy but four goats at the base of the hill :clap: , i move over to another ridge so that they cant see me and start heading down. i get halfway down when a kid goat looks over the ridge that im walking along no more than twenty meters away and as they say a bird in the hand and all that, boom kid be gone :thumbsup: walk over to the ridge and see two billy's in the swale between the ridges,bang,bang both down, this day just keeps giving :thumbsup: , process and keep going down not expecting that the four i saw earlier would still be around but when your on a roll your on a roll and they are standing in the same place :unknown: i get to one hundred meters from them when i run out of cover so get myself comfy and start to pick them off, get two before they start to move nail one to the ground and miss the last one, still happy, put a finisher into the one that was still alive and go down to process,get there and notice a blood splatter away from the three that i had killed,bugger, ive wounded one of them :thumbsdown: process the three and start looking for the last one,goats can last a long time when they are wounded and i hate to see an animal suffer so i was feeling like ****** :cry: im working my way through a stand of trees when i hear a bleat coming from behind a downed tree,squat down and i can see legs ,walk up to the tree, root end, and see a hole in the root ball,rifle up to the shoulder and look through the hole, bang, and the goat is out of its misery :thumbsup: elf caught up with me later ,18 for him plus the ones that he got earlier, :clap: ,but he worked for them. best day that ive had on the goats :thumbsup:

sorry about the long read , ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Re: good day on the goats

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 12:09 am

Great story.We have goats like that out the North/East and near the Goldfields.Best eating meat in the world small nannies.I have had similar experiences what chambering were you using.I am going to guess .243W
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 25 Sep 2017, 9:26 pm

bad guess,,308 :thumbsup: and your right about the taste,better than lamb :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:54 pm

got the case right wrong diameter
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Sep 2017, 10:22 am

Sounds like a great time out mate, I was camping a mth or so back and the goats around there were thick as, one mob would have good a good 40-50 goats and we saw quite a few with a good 20 or more, shame I can't shoot em or I would have happily taken a young one for a feed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Sep 2017, 7:58 am

bigfellascott wrote: shame I can't shoot em or I would have happily taken a young one for a feed.

Im assuming this is because the farmer rounds them up for sale? Have you asked about taking one or two for the freezer? I've got a couple of properties where culling is no go, but taking a feed is no worries at all.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Sep 2017, 8:41 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
bigfellascott wrote: shame I can't shoot em or I would have happily taken a young one for a feed.

Im assuming this is because the farmer rounds them up for sale? Have you asked about taking one or two for the freezer? I've got a couple of properties where culling is no go, but taking a feed is no worries at all.

Nah they are on NPWS land so no go unfortunately, years ago I used to hunt all that land but not now. I had foxes running around all over the place too :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Sep 2017, 11:32 am

NWPS. Looking after the natural habitat. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Sep 2017, 9:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

Nah they are on NPWS land so no go unfortunately, years ago I used to hunt all that land but not now. I had foxes running around all over the place too :silent:

Ahh yes, the infinite wisdom.......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 01 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:NWPS. Looking after the natural habitat. :allegedly:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: gold,,,, and yet sad
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2