Spotlights, advice

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Spotlights, advice

Post by pete1 » 24 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

So only used a handheld spotlight that plugs into cigarette lighter or connected to battery.

Looking at a handheld spotlight and there seams to be two types ones that plug in one to power and ones with a inbuilt battery.
I notice a difference in price but is there huge difference in performance, considering ones connected direct to a car battery the other connected to to a small internal battery?
What brands are you guys using?
I see the Spika handheld spotlight pretty cheap considering its battery powered, but don't know how good it is.
Lightforce look good but more expensive.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Spotlights, advice

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Dec 2017, 6:50 pm

Some of the rechargeable/hand held spotlights available are excellent, the run time of these do let you down though if you're planning on spending a few hours solid spotlighting, this can be overcome if you choose a model that has removable rechargeable batteries, buy a few spare sets and replace and recharge as needed.

As far as brands go, I've used and use, LED lenser, Olight and I have a Ryobi +one xenon 18 volt, the Ryobi is very bright and a couple of 5 amp/hr batteries easily lasts a big night spotlighting, great for when you're walking with a mate but no good by yourself.
When out walking by myself I use the led lenser or Olight mounted to my rifle in conjunction with a led lenser headlamp.
When on the quad I have a lightforce 170 cig plug model mounted to a shooting rest on the front rack.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 24 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm

We spotlight with powa beam and lightforce halogens both connect direct to the vehicles batttery with clips with an inline fuse both are good tough units never used hid spotties but some guys here dont recommend because they are too bright for the critters to look at
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 7:26 pm

I have an olight torch for on top of the rifle as well as hand held, with extra battery's
and a powa beam in the roof of the jeep, the olight has more power :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Browning » 24 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

+1 for the Olight M3xs. We used to use one of those $100 HID’s from eBay and it worked really well. Just change the connection to an Anderson plug which plugged into the fridge connection on back of ute.
These days though we use thermal to find critters and flick on the Olight mounted to the rifle. Less hassle, spooks em less and you don’t miss seeing a thing.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 24 Dec 2017, 7:46 pm

Never thought of that " hid spotties but some guys here dont recommend because they are too bright for the critters to look at" I replaced a normal H4 car globe with a hid setup made for cars from china. Gives excellent light now for people looking into the bush. Could be to bright for critters. I don't do a lot of spot lighting mainly due to being by myself.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Browning » 24 Dec 2017, 8:17 pm

I’m far from a light or spotlight expert but I do know where we go, it doesn’t mater what light you’re using, there’s always enough “critters” that don’t care about the type of light we use.
I reckon the moon, crop height or even “how” you use the spotty makes a bigger difference......
The new moon makes it easier and we tend to use the “edge” of the light throw if that makes sense.
Also helps who’s on the rifle and light. If it’s a couple of blokes who know what they’re doin, it’s all done quickly and efficiently, but put a noob or someone learning on either of those and it gets tougher.
I personally reckon there’s more important factors than the type of light, but I’m sure everyone’s got their own way of doing it.....
You just have to work out what works for you.....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Dec 2017, 6:46 am

I just got given a Spika rechargeable spotlight as a Christmas gift yesterday, gave it a test run last night, it throws a good beam, plenty bright enough for hunting and spotting critters out as far as you'd want to shoot. Can't comment on battery life or reliability of the product as I only just got it but it feels like a decent quality unit. Should be an excellent light to have handy as a backup.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 13 Jul 2020, 3:10 pm

I know this is an old thread but I'm just back from a trip to the farm and have a report to give.

I've been using an HID light for the past few years and have repeatedly noticed that animals just would not sit still long enough to take a shot. I put this down to them being spooked by unauthorised shooters accessing the remote property.

This trip I took a brand new 7 inch Powabeam halogen light and the difference was startling. Every bunny sat still and was taken but we didn't spot a cat or fox to judge if they behaved the same. I am convinced the difference was the light. The halogen is nowhere near as bright as the HID and has nowhere near the range. It is a softer more yellowish colour temp compared to the bright daylight tone of the HID. It was so effective that I doubt the HID light will see much action in the future - maybe for long distance spotting but would definitely switch to the halogen when the time comes to take a shot.

That's my experience, YMMV.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2020, 6:36 pm

The hid is just another example of bigger better further. And it does that. But it’s scares em off too .. quite a few people have the same experience....before I went thermal I still preferred the big hid lights because my eyes are old and useless
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 13 Jul 2020, 6:56 pm

I have 2 old spotties of different sizes both have sealed beams and have used them for years then i bought a ''Striker'' lightforce 170mm i find its beam is smaller than the old ones and doesn't light up too much country side when spotting but it's brighter so i find it better also i locate the ferals then use the rifle with the Olight M3xs attached to the barrel it's a lot easier when on your own
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2020, 7:37 pm

Normally I hunt with a hand held lightforce mounted to a swivel. I've replaced the factory curly cord as it was designed to give enough resistance to reduce the voltage at the Globe to just below 12 volts in order to increase globe life.
With the heavier wiring the globe can get the full 13.8v volts when the batteries are full charged.
The globes definitely burnout much faster but it's a fair tradeoff for a noticeably brighter light.
I keep several spare globes in the vehicle.
file.jpeg
file.jpeg (282.96 KiB) Viewed 3818 times

I recently bought a LED ryobi +one spotlight.
I didn't intend on hunting with it.
It can run without a battery using the supplied Cigg plug 12v charging cord making it extremely light. It's output is phenomenal!
So far I've only spotted it at a possum, the possum refused to look it it a second time.
It will be interesting to see if other animal's don't like it, I know I don't, it actually hurts to look anywhere near it, I'm sure it would damage eyes.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jul 2020, 2:11 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Normally I hunt with a hand held lightforce mounted to a swivel. I've replaced the factory curly cord as it was designed to give enough resistance to reduce the voltage at the Globe to just below 12 volts in order to increase globe life.
With the heavier wiring the globe can get the full 13.8v volts when the batteries are full charged.
The globes definitely burnout much faster but it's a fair tradeoff for a noticeably brighter light.
I keep several spare globes in the vehicle.
file.jpeg

I recently bought a LED ryobi +one spotlight.
I didn't intend on hunting with it.
It can run without a battery using the supplied Cigg plug 12v charging cord making it extremely light. It's output is phenomenal!
So far I've only spotted it at a possum, the possum refused to look it it a second time.
It will be interesting to see if other animal's don't like it, I know I don't, it actually hurts to look anywhere near it, I'm sure it would damage eyes.

Is the Lightforce halogen, HID or other?
I think you nail it with your comments about the LED light and it applies to the HID I've been using. It's too bright for the critters to tolerate and makes them nervous and unwilling to sit. Sometimes bigger and brighter isn't necessarily better.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

I also bought the ryobi light . Mine I hook up to the cordless batteries. I too was surprised by the output. It tons cheap and throws a better light than my 360 dollar led lenser baton torch
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control