"You mean they're not store bought rabbits!"

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

"You mean they're not store bought rabbits!"

Post by Blackened » 29 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

Sharing one of those facepalm moments we shooters regularly have.

I work with some real purebred "city folk" who's closest brush with nature would be driving on an unpaved road. Anyway, I was talking about cooking with rabbit to a girl at work who wanted to try it but couldn't find anywhere to buy it. I said I'd bring her a few rabbits and she can cook up a pie for everyone.

So a week later, *bang* *bang*, a few bunnies shot, skinned, cleaned and delivered. They were all head-shot so no damage to the body.

Anyway, hand over the rabbits and get a little "ewww" reaction at seeing the whole rabbit, but she got over that. It came in in conversation though that they'd been shot, and that was it, she was suddenly totally repulsed by them and the deal was off.

As soon as she found out they were shot and not bought at a store, they were these vile poisonous things she wouldn't dare eat :roll:

I've had this conversation with people in the past to lesser degrees. It never fails to amaze that as soon as something isn't delivered in a tin can or styrofoam box it's unhealthy or not safe.

I don't know where this sterile operating theatre cleanliness level bunny breeding place is that everyone else gets their shiny new eating rabbits from, but it's obviously not near by place.
Blackened

New South Wales

Re: "You mean they're not store bought rabbits!"

Post by Ariat » 29 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

Read a similar thing elsewhere where someone wouldn't eat a lemon because it was picked off a tree, and not from a supermarket.

I can understand peoples hesitate to an extent for meat, but for a lemon? C'mon...
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inervate » 29 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Pretty sure it's only in America, I just saw the picture on the internet.

But they do whole chicken in a can now... You have to see how f***ing horrible this thing looks when it blobs out of the can...

Makes me sick to look at :(
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 29 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

Blackened wrote:
As soon as she found out they were shot and not bought at a store, they were these vile poisonous things she wouldn't dare eat :roll:

I've had this conversation with people in the past to lesser degrees. It never fails to amaze that as soon as something isn't delivered in a tin can or styrofoam box it's unhealthy or not safe.

Agree totally,

I would sooner have a free range rabbit any day than an anaemic, pudgy, battery cage bred piece of crap, yes it may have been slaughtered in a proper abbatoir but I take more care than most in the field and have never had an issue.

There are people out there that have never even slaughtered their own meat, perhaps the closest they have come to sourcing their own food is selecting from the loose leaf assortment at Woolworths.

We are getting further and further away from our roots, for instance we always make seafood chowder a couple of nights into our camping trips, a friend of my daughters wouldn't eat it as it was made from shellfish we gathered ourselves combined with fish stock from the frames the day before. It was better than anything you would get in a high class restaurant. This was a staple food for us kids growing up as money was tight.

It is all in the perception and advertising,
A friend sells cauliflowers, carrots and occaisonally broccoli at the local hospital (to aid the auxillary), excess supermarket stock from the next doors farm, the caulis were$1 each but hardly any takers, she put an "GROWN NATURALLY by LOCAL FARMER $5 each" and sold them day after day and had so many comments on how good they tasted.

This has been going on for three years now and it just gets bigger and bigger.

I would hate to think what ppeople thought unnaturally grown veggies were.

I could go on and on.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 29 Dec 2013, 4:51 pm

I'm flogging a dead horse a bit with this cause I know it's been brought up before, but still hilarious some people think you should buy meat from the supermarket where they "make" it and no animals are hurt.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 29 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

Tell her Coles often has Rabbits a bargain at about $20 :roll:
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 29 Dec 2013, 6:00 pm

It'll get worse and worse as our population becomes more urbanized and disconnected from where their food comes from whatever its source. It doesn't take long either! When I sold my (family dairy farm of 135 years), 9 years ago, and told my Melbourne-ized sister (with no idea of what's required to run a dairy farm on your own) hung up the phone and didn't talk to for 5 years!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 29 Dec 2013, 6:16 pm

should have told her they were organically raised on a sustainable free range rabbit farm ;)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 29 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

Noisydad wrote:...hung up the phone and didn't talk to for 5 years!

The girl knows how to hold a grudge...

Sentimental value for the family business I guess?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control