.260 sniping in 30k crosswinds

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

.260 sniping in 30k crosswinds

Post by Elmer » 05 Mar 2018, 8:42 pm

Took the .260 out for a spot of Bunny sniping, with 30k crosswinds the .22CFs would have been blown about making 500yd plus shots more miss than hit, these conditions are where this cal really shines.
Two pests between 450 and 500 and three past 500 including a 530 yd headshot in very windy conditions and the ever present mirage made for an interesting afternoon.
cheers.
https://youtu.be/6_O2k8KvynI
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: .260 sniping in 30k crosswinds

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 05 Mar 2018, 9:23 pm

Some great shooting there, mate.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Daddybang » 05 Mar 2018, 9:44 pm

Christ that's good shootin :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 05 Mar 2018, 10:08 pm

A 6.5mm Cal is quite good in the wind and not that hard to predict if you know the distance and your own ballistics.

The calibre outdoes others that people believe should shine.

260Rem is just one of a few.

Hitting an egg at 500m with a 6.5x47L is not that difficult yet alone something the size of a Rabbit. Try one sometime, great BC's as is with velocity from the likes of a 123, 130gr bullet at around 3,000fps.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 05 Mar 2018, 10:49 pm

Apollo wrote:A 6.5mm Cal is quite good in the wind and not that hard to predict if you know the distance and your own ballistics.

Hitting an egg at 500m with a 6.5x47L is not that difficult yet alone something the size of a Rabbit. Try one sometime, great BC's as is with velocity from the likes of a 123, 130gr bullet at around 3,000fps.

With that wind, the Ballistics charts got the bullet somewhere near the target but had to be compensated with good ol experience, windage guesstimation and a little luck :thumbsup:
Unlike an egg, a Rabbit hops around, blends into its environment, changes position ,changes range... you have very little time when your trying to film, measure range , measure wind velocity and direction, look all the data up on a chart aim and get a shot off....eggs just sit there at a predetermined range, gotta love egg hunting :lol:
Seriously , the 6.5 Lap is an excellent target round as is the .260 an excellent long range round, both shine in their chosen environments. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 05 Mar 2018, 10:49 pm

Daddybang wrote:Christ that's good shootin :thumbsup: :drinks:

:lol: Thanks mate :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 05 Mar 2018, 10:50 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Some great shooting there, mate.

Cheers BRNO :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 05 Mar 2018, 11:38 pm

Elmer wrote:
Apollo wrote:A 6.5mm Cal is quite good in the wind and not that hard to predict if you know the distance and your own ballistics.

With that wind, the Ballistics charts got the bullet somewhere near the target but had to be compensated with good ol experience, windage guesstimation and a little luck :thumbsup:
Unlike an egg, a Rabbit hops around, blends into its environment, changes position ,changes range... you have very little time when your trying to film, measure range , measure wind velocity and direction, look all the data up on a chart aim and get a shot off....eggs just sit there at a predetermined range, gotta love egg hunting :lol:
Seriously , the 6.5 Lap is an excellent target round as is the .260 an excellent long range round, both shine in their chosen environments. :thumbsup:

I don't have an argument with any of that...

I have done and hope to continue soon with 500M Fly Shooting with my 6.5x47L... well 3 of them and instruct friends to be the top of their game. Great calibre and that fly is just like 20-25mm in size... A 10 ring is about 50mm.... The factor we know is the exact distance, not hard anywhere else if you have a range finder for your target area and know your ballistics. Not many people do. We shoot in all sorts of winds and gusts, rain etc but only have a time limit to do it.

Don't know what sort of Scope you are using but my long range are March and Leupold...used to be Nightforce but they are just too heavy.

Not having a dig at you.... love the posts and videos BUT....I don't have the time to be fussed with that stuff...

The people that think that is some fantastic shooting, yes correct ....anyone can do it with the right gear and interest in precision shooting.

Homer knows what he is doing...so can you so get cracking and try it.... Even a Bunny shot at 200 Metres is not hard with a .22LR.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 06 Mar 2018, 9:34 am

The people that think that is some fantastic shooting, yes correct ....anyone can do it with the right gear and interest in precision shooting.

Homer knows what he is doing...so can you so get cracking and try it.... Even a Bunny shot at 200 Metres is not hard with a .22LR.[/quote]

Unfortunately we don't all have the opportunity to get the experience necessary to make long distance shots. The photo below shows the type of country I do most of my shooting in...not many 500yd opportunities pop up!! :lol: :drinks:

20180306_073502.jpg
20180306_073502.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 3994 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 06 Mar 2018, 10:24 am

Apollo wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I don't have an argument with any of that...

I have done and hope to continue soon with 500M Fly Shooting with my 6.5x47L... well 3 of them and instruct friends to be the top of their game. Great calibre and that fly is just like 20-25mm in size... A 10 ring is about 50mm.... The factor we know is the exact distance, not hard anywhere else if you have a range finder for your target area and know your ballistics. Not many people do. We shoot in all sorts of winds and gusts, rain etc but only have a time limit to do it.

Don't know what sort of Scope you are using but my long range are March and Leupold...used to be Nightforce but they are just too heavy.

Not having a dig at you.... love the posts and videos BUT....I don't have the time to be fussed with that stuff...

Homer knows what he is doing...so can you so get cracking and try it.... Even a Bunny shot at 200 Metres is not hard with a .22LR.

What your saying is fair enough and with precision fly target rifles, known range, wind flags etc 500m Fly is a definitely acheivable BUT dont forget Im using completely stock factory rifles and with the .223 and 22-250 factory ammo.
Even when using an R/F the reading is not guaranteed, you may read of a twig or blade of grass that is unseen which will give you a closer distance reading, past 500yds even a 5yd discrepancy can make the difference between hit and miss.
At long range( past 500) a good Ballistics chart will get the bullet near to the mark definitely not dead on, the rest as you know comes from knowing your rifles trajectory and experience in reading the wind.
To be honest, I have never found paper punching as enjoyable as being out in the field, but who knows, maybe as I get older and cant be bothered with all the driving , I just may take up fly shooting , it does look interesting. :thumbsup:
atb.
Oh, and the scope is a Leupold VXIII8.5-25X50 Target.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 06 Mar 2018, 10:37 am

All good but I thought this little topic was about your 260 (6.5mm)... Now I'm lost.

Doesn't matter, old age. I lose the plot I guess.

BTW.. I can't use Wind Flags at home, gullies between target and shooting spot are too deep. It's looking at the grass (if there is any) and leaves on various trees to make a guess on conditions. At 500m my sighters are either of a 150 or 300mm Bisalloy plate. Boy, does that make a noise even at 500m... It's all great fun being able to do this 10m from my front door.

Nice scope, I have both the VX3 and VX3L Target Varmint Hunters Reticle.

Seems everyone loves your videos so keep up the great work and thanks for providing them.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2018, 11:11 am

Benchrest, the lawn bowls of shooting. :lol: :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

Gamerancher wrote:Benchrest, the lawn bowls of shooting. :lol: :sarcasm:

Now that's a bit nasty.....

Don't know if your allowed to play Lawn Bowls in a Wheelchair, but you can play Benchrest Shooting.

Better than giving up and doing nothing but drown in misery. :friends:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 06 Mar 2018, 12:25 pm

Apollo wrote:All good but I thought this little topic was about your 260 (6.5mm)... Now I'm lost.

Doesn't matter, old age. I lose the plot I guess.

BTW.. I can't use Wind Flags at home, gullies between target and shooting spot are too deep. It's looking at the grass (if there is any) and leaves on various trees to make a guess on conditions. At 500m my sighters are either of a 150 or 300mm Bisalloy plate. Boy, does that make a noise even at 500m... It's all great fun being able to do this 10m from my front door.

Nice scope, I have both the VX3 and VX3L Target Varmint Hunters Reticle.

Seems everyone loves your videos so keep up the great work and thanks for providing them.

No worries, your a lucky man having a range outside your backdoor , how cool is that? :thumbsup: ...My scope has the varmint ret too, very handy when the ballistics charts dont quite get it :lol:
Glad you guys like the vids,I enjoy making them plus when filming the long range stuff I can review the shot and if I miss ,I can see exactly where the bullet lands and make adjustments for the next one. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Mar 2018, 1:50 pm

Got ro agree 100%.
Doing a hell of alot of shooting in Syria lately and with the right equipment shots out to 500 , 600 meters are just to easy .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control