The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

The fox pages

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Mar 2018, 11:27 am

I thought it might be good to have a place to put some hints, tips pics of success for those of us that like to chase the red coats. Heres a couple of photos to get the ball rolling.. One from last week and two from a dawn session this morning.
Attachments
_20180316_115043.JPG
_20180316_115043.JPG (621.51 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
_20180316_115110.JPG
_20180316_115110.JPG (523.45 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
_20180316_115550.JPG
_20180316_115550.JPG (510.13 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Re: The fox pages

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Mar 2018, 11:42 am

Previous discussions on fox whistles

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3086

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6100
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 12:07 pm

Nice one...!!
The foxes & the thread... :thumbsup:

Ill have to start dressing up my sucessful fox hunt pics...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

Tell me BA...are you using that log as your base to prop n whistle for the 2 foxies laying on it...?

I ask because i never have any luck whistling in daylight hours...i only have success under spotlight.
Any i get by day are by chance encounters.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by brinny » 16 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Mar 2018, 4:18 pm

Stix wrote:Tell me BA...are you using that log as your base to prop n whistle for the 2 foxies laying on it...?

I ask because i never have any luck whistling in daylight hours...i only have success under spotlight.
Any i get by day are by chance encounters.

Nahh, just conveniently located logs for laying dead foxes on. I mostly whistle late evening and early morning, the first and last 1-2 hours of light seems to be pretty productive for me. I don't spotlight much anymore, im struggling hard to find someone that can either shoot or hold the spotlight and drive. The property all three of these came from is very rocky and I'd like the underside of my 4x4 to stay in one piece.
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Mar 2018, 5:16 pm

I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 8:27 pm

Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Well come on down...ill take you out...ive got another property in the south east to get to so you'd be welcome company cos ill have to go by myself...!
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 8:44 pm

Bent Arrow wrote: I don't spotlight much anymore, im struggling hard to find someone that can either shoot or hold the spotlight and drive. The property all three of these came from is very rocky and I'd like the underside of my 4x4 to stay in one piece.

I understand--everyone i talk to is an expert at spotlighting--especially foxes...
But the reality of it is all too often the opposite...

And the rocks...yeeouch...i hate those hidden devils--i got a big mallee root last trip...i was lucky it was sandy.
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Mar 2018, 9:35 pm

Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Well come on down...ill take you out...ive got another property in the south east to get to so you'd be welcome company cos ill have to go by myself...!

If I ever get a chance to get down your way stix I'll take ya up on that!!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2018, 10:25 pm

The last one looks like he's having an afternoon nap. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Mar 2018, 6:46 pm

here's one I shot a while ago, one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned
I went through melbourne friday morning, about 4.30am coming from warburton way, counted 7 foxes in the suburbs on the main roads where they are safe, they were very big dogs eating road kill and getting into the rubbish bins
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Mar 2018, 8:41 pm

Will be chasing a big fox next time im at the farm. Came round a corner and there he was sunning himself in the morning, he bolted as soon as we saw him. Looked like a fox cross boarder collie. Hopefully get him next time
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2018, 8:55 pm

A fox cross border collie... :wtf: ....one is 70's burnt orange & the other is black & white...!!!

I mean mistaking a black & white cat is legitimate...but...uhh...
& you saw this in daylight... :shock: ...!!

Man...i tell ya...no drugs when you got guns dood...!!! :sarcasm: :lol:
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2018, 9:05 pm

marksman wrote:here's one I shot a while ago, one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned
I went through melbourne friday morning, about 4.30am coming from warburton way, counted 7 foxes in the suburbs on the main roads where they are safe, they were very big dogs eating road kill and getting into the rubbish bins

Very very nice...!!!

There used to be one i would see consistantly within 100yds of my house on a main road less than 10 kms out of adelaide cbd...
Sadly someone else got him & his living quarters are now permanantly filled with water...

Ive noticed one thing about you marksman, you like green grass...many of your pics have a lot of green grass...even your hornets in your yard...!!!
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2018, 9:18 pm

Marksman...What is the round & rifle...?
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

Stix wrote:A fox cross border collie... :wtf: ....one is 70's burnt orange & the other is black & white...!!!

I mean mistaking a black & white cat is legitimate...but...uhh...
& you saw this in daylight... :shock: ...!!

Man...i tell ya...no drugs when you got guns dood...!!! :sarcasm: :lol:

Size comparison wise looked more like a collie

And was more of a blackish colour.

It also appears i will have to get this one next time to restore my credability :allegedly:
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Mar 2018, 9:42 pm

Hey Bent arrow, nice shooting but Gee, it's dry out your way, eh?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control